Who Let The Dwarves Out?!?
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
Talk abut Movies & TV here. Just tell us what you have been watching. Have hyper-academic discussions on visual semiotics. Whatever, it's all good.

TOPIC: Who Let The Dwarves Out?!?

22 Jul 2011 01:34 #99896

Who Let The Dwarves Out?!?

Looks like pictures of the dwarves from The Hobbit are starting to surface. Not sure I ever finished reading the Hobbit, but I don't recall so many individual looks. Oh well, this is surely better for the visual medium of film (don't know about that 'key sword' Kili has, though).

Nori, Ori, and Dori

Oin and Gloin

Fili and Kili

Bofur, Bombur, Bifur

Balin and Dwalin

Thorin

Still, these fellas will forever be my company of dwarves.
Last Edit: 22 Jul 2011 11:21 by Mr. White.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, Ska_baron, jeb, mikecl
22 Jul 2011 01:49 #99898

Re: Who Let The Dwarves Out?!?

I saw these a couple of days ago and think the dwarves look positively bad ass. That kind of goes against how they act in the book though, they're very whiny, cowardly and incompetent. I really like how they've made each one look very unique otherwise it would be very hard to tell 12 dwarves apart. I still think most movie goers are going to have a hard time remembering the key ones. My only complaint is Thorin looks a little too Trent Reznor for me.
"Chance favors the prepared mind" – Louis Pasteur
NOW ONLINE
22 Jul 2011 02:21 #99899

It's nice to see some skinny dwarves for once.
22 Jul 2011 02:38 #99902

The skinny ones don't look like dwarves.
22 Jul 2011 09:52 #99909

Hahaha, I bet a lot of us will have a hard time shaking the images from the cartoon from our mind's eye going into this.
Get busy gaming or get busy dying.
NOW ONLINE
22 Jul 2011 12:27 #99915

LOL, Starfish head.
Cheech Marin Said: Mexican Americans don't like to just get into gang fights,
they like flowers and music and white girls named Debbie too.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Fallen
22 Jul 2011 14:30 #99923

I find these images stomach-churningly awful. Like, as far from the spirit of the book as you could possibly get. The costuming (especially the swords) exemplifies the worst of videogame-style production design.
22 Jul 2011 14:51 #99924

Fili and Kili are slated to do a Breck Shampoo product placement and tie-in for the film, hence the positively stunning hair.

S.
22 Jul 2011 15:07 #99925

With Kili apparently being played by Seth Green?
Get busy gaming or get busy dying.
NOW ONLINE
22 Jul 2011 17:31 #99939

With Kili apparently being played by Seth Green

That's Aidan Turner from Being Human. He's pretty awesome.

I find these images stomach-churningly awful. Like, as far from the spirit of the book as you could possibly get. The costuming (especially the swords) exemplifies the worst of videogame-style production design.

I think the swords fit into the angular, geometric style of the dwarves as presented in Moria in the LOTR films. But I agree, they certainly don't look like a bunch of whiny dwarves who can't do anything for themselves. Although they do invoke that shadiness Bilbo feels when he first meets them. They are a group of wandering outcasts, mind you.
"Chance favors the prepared mind" – Louis Pasteur
NOW ONLINE
Time to create page: 1.06 seconds
Text Size