October 09, 2023
2458 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2661 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk abut Movies & TV here. Just tell us what you have been watching. Have hyper-academic discussions on visual semiotics. Whatever, it's all good.

When did you first notice that Star Wars sucks?

More
20 Jan 2012 22:53 #113587 by dave
I saw Star Wars when it was first released. I was 9yo, and the movie didn't do much for me. Return of the Jedi is the only SW movie that I can say I outright enjoyed. Same goes with Temple of Doom and the Indy franchise.

But enough about me; the answer to the OP is "Jar Jar Binks".

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Jan 2012 22:54 #113588 by repoman

MattLoter wrote: Ewoks are awesome.

Star Wars prequels are a let down for sure and feature some really cringe worthy moments but still don't totally suck.

The universe as a whole, especially when looking at various support medias like video games and comics is glorious and wonderful and fuck all you nerd raging jerk offs who think you're too cool for campy space opera entertainment.

Point 1: The only draw of ewoks is for kids. They get a bit of empowerment and wish fulfillment out of them. Small guys beating big guys. However if you were over the age of 8 when you were exposed to Return of the Jedi, then you know they suck. How much cooler if the final battle had taken place on the home planet of Chewbacca as originally planned? Way cooler.

Point 2: The prequals suck in every way it is possible to suck. The story makes no sense, the writing is terrible, the acting is the worst I've ever seen outside of a high school play. Did I really need to meet everybody's father? Darth Vader created a protocol droid? The force is a bacteria? REALLY? Believing CGI effects can replace good story telling. These movies define suck.

Point 3: The ancillary universe just goes to show how awesome these movies could have been if Lucas could have let talented people do what they do instead of doing it himself. What writer or director would have turned down a chance to work on those prequals?

Point 4: These are not kid movies any more than any high adventure film is a kid's movie.
The following user(s) said Thank You: bomber

More
20 Jan 2012 23:13 #113592 by Juniper

Jackwraith wrote: Finally, the "writers" didn't have to come up with the incest issue. Lucas has stated before that the two of them were siblings from the very beginning and she was intended to fall for the "bad guy" from the outset.

You believed him? That's like taking at face value some jerk on the internet who claims that Biggs was the key to Star Wars' undoing.

More
20 Jan 2012 23:23 - 20 Jan 2012 23:23 #113596 by Gary Sax
It was definitely the prequels. Episode 1 just did not work.

I still love the Star Wars originally trilogy. Even with Lucas raping them with his later changes, the goodness still peeks through.
Last edit: 20 Jan 2012 23:23 by Gary Sax.

More
20 Jan 2012 23:44 #113599 by OldHippy
The whole notion of the prequels just doesn't make sense.

If I watch them first it fucks up the Vader is Luke's father surprise. I certainly wouldn't want that to happen.

If I watch them later it ruins the Anakin becomes bad thing, which could be a cool surprise if you didn't already know decades before the reveal.

Personally I'd prefer an alternate story completely unrelated.

More
21 Jan 2012 00:01 #113600 by Mr Skeletor
The Pod race in episode one. I went as part of a work function to the cinema when it came out and I remember thinking halfway through it "Wow, this is pretty boring."
But I have never really been a starwar tragic. The Ewoks are fine. If anything doesn't work for me in that movie its the ending space battle, because it involves people I don't know and don't care about. I'm supposed to cheer on Lando, really? At least I got to spend some quality time with Wikkit or whatever the fuck his name was.

More
21 Jan 2012 00:11 #113603 by Black Barney
i wanna talk about Disgust's Destroyer vs Enterprise thing! That sounds like fun, I can't believe no other dorks other than me saw that and immediately wanted to talk about it

More
21 Jan 2012 00:24 #113604 by MattFantastic

anvil wrote: I've decided to renounce everything but the empire strikes back. which still fucking rules. even if I'd change it a bit, so that when Vader offers Luke the assistant managers role, I'd be like, fuck yeah, that sounds pretty cool dad, lets kick some fuckin ass, can I get me one of those black suits and helmets as well?

So basically you don't even like Star Wars... fuck outta here!

More
21 Jan 2012 00:26 #113605 by Disgustipater

Black Barney wrote: i wanna talk about Disgust's Destroyer vs Enterprise thing! That sounds like fun, I can't believe no other dorks other than me saw that and immediately wanted to talk about it

The following user(s) said Thank You: Bullwinkle, DeletedUser

More
21 Jan 2012 00:52 - 21 Jan 2012 00:52 #113610 by Schweig!
Last edit: 21 Jan 2012 00:52 by Schweig!.

More
21 Jan 2012 01:00 #113612 by Juniper

Schweig! wrote:

Actually, that was the first Star Wars "episode" I ever saw. The animated Boba Fett sequence is still awesome. So is this:

More
21 Jan 2012 03:14 #113625 by dysjunct
When Jake Lloyd yelled "YIPPEEEEE!" that was the beginning of the end.

Then when he hid in a spaceship and accidentally saved the universe was the end of the end. Because even kids should know that true heroism is caused by accident.

More
21 Jan 2012 03:59 #113630 by clockwirk
I remember watching Jedi once a long time ago and hearing the imperial trooper on the moon of Endor say "you rebel scum!". I started to get the feeling that there was some pretty cheesy shit going on in that movie. Thing is, regardless of all the goofy stuff in Jedi, it still has characters I love and care about, a story I can get behind, and a great final confrontation scene at the end with Luke, Vader, and the Emperor. I can forgive the ewoks if the other stuff is solid.

The prequels literally have nothing redeeming in them. No characters i care about, no story that makes an ounce of sense, no creativity beyond throwing as much digital crap at the screen as possible. In short, no substance. If you haven't watched the red letter media reviews of the prequels, those guys sum it up perfectly.

Star Wars was dead to me within the first 10 minutes of The Phantom Menace.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rliyen, DeletedUser

More
21 Jan 2012 05:01 #113633 by Dr. Mabuse

Shellhead wrote: I was uneasy about Lando in The Empire Strikes Back, because the first black guy we see in the entire galaxy is a traitor. Then the Ewoks in Return of the Jedi were a huge red flag, but I was willing to give Lucas another chance based on the overall quality of the first two movies.

Whaaa? Lando owned a whole fucking planet, end of story. Being treacherous has never been a part of popular Black stereotypes, so I don't see your point at all.

But then later in Return of the Jedi, there were these truly stupid-looking black aliens... basically black people wearing oddly colorful prosthetic noses and ears. It was like somebody complained about Lando to George Lucas and he responded with deliberately cheap costuming for the black aliens.

What fucking sci-fi franchise are you talking about, you can't be talking about the one Twi'lek slave dancer?

Star Trek had a shit tonne more Blacks in prosthetics over SW.

For anyone to say Jar Jar was some Black caricature can go fuck themselves. I hated that character, but it never entered my mind watching those films that that character was even remotely based on Black stereotypes.

I think you're looking for some kind of racial issue where none exists.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rliyen, Bullwinkle, stormseeker75

More
21 Jan 2012 05:02 #113634 by Dr. Mabuse
To answer the OP, Boba Fett and Darth Maul's deaths.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.234 seconds