October 09, 2023
2218 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2437 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk abut Movies & TV here. Just tell us what you have been watching. Have hyper-academic discussions on visual semiotics. Whatever, it's all good.

Just saw John Carter...

More
12 Mar 2012 23:51 #119051 by Notahandle
Sagrilarus wrote:
" Yeah that's it Barney. You were too cunning for the rest of us to keep up."
HOLY SHIT! Is Barney a descendant of Baldrick?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Mar 2012 02:46 #119072 by Mr. White
Regarding marketing, yeah, Disney dropped the ball.

I would guess that modern audiences have no idea who John Carter is. I mean, the only folks reading/have read Princess of Mars are old people (_really_ old) or nerds that like old stuff.

There's nothing here for modern fans. Tolkien was/is very much relevant when LotR came out.

So why didn't Disney build that bridge with the audience? Where was the "From the creator of Tarzan, and director of Finding Nemo and Wall*E, comes a story 100 years in the making..." or some tripe. They would have dropped some familiar names and made this thing feel like an event.

Instead...I dunno what they did...only saw a few trailers on the net, but none mentioned the movie's pedigree.

More
More
13 Mar 2012 03:12 - 13 Mar 2012 03:13 #119074 by Mr. White
I get out to see one or two movies a year, and for some reason in the matter of days, I find myself consuming reviews and thoughts on this movie. A movie I hadn't thought much of a few weeks ago.

F:ATties here are giving it good press and I'm sold on this article about classic adventure films as well as the same guy's review .

Maybe I'm dumb, but I'm looking forward to this one more than I thought.
Last edit: 13 Mar 2012 03:13 by Mr. White.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

More
13 Mar 2012 05:39 #119084 by Not Sure
A work friend of mine went to see it, and really enjoyed it.

He didn't exactly go in blind or unaware, his first daughter is "Dejah Thoris Lastname".

High marks from him, take that as you will. Man, the marketing sucks. I agree with Jeff's post about playing up the pedigree.

More
13 Mar 2012 07:14 #119090 by Hex Sinister
I hate being a party pooper but can't think of anything positive to say about John Carter...

This flick was way too safe, bereft of tension, and, like mikecl said, utterly souless. The setting was bland and unispiring.

Would I have enjoyed this if I were still a kid? No. Because when I was a kid I loved good movies like Blade Runner, Excalibur, Road Warrior, The Thing, and Alien. Is it fair to compare JC to stuff like that? Yeah.

More
13 Mar 2012 07:20 #119091 by Hex Sinister
Actually, I've been thinking about it and it's NOT fair to compare JC with those films I mentioned. For the most part, those movies were targeted at an adult audience. I guess they can't make stuff like that anymore...

More
13 Mar 2012 10:14 #119096 by Mr Skeletor

Hex Sinister wrote: I hate being a party pooper but can't think of anything positive to say about John Carter...

This flick was way too safe, bereft of tension, and, like mikecl said, utterly souless. The setting was bland and unispiring.

Would I have enjoyed this if I were still a kid? No. Because when I was a kid I loved good movies like Blade Runner, Excalibur, Road Warrior, The Thing, and Alien. Is it fair to compare JC to stuff like that? Yeah.

You guys saw a different film from me, since the one I saw was full of character and heart. If anything I didn't think it had much in terms of 'spectical' - there wasn't much action and the action scenes were all pretty short. It was more a a talky film, which I enjoyed.
Marketing in Australia was as shit as it was in the US. No one knows what the film is about. It just looks like a conan ripoff. The ape scene is WAY over-emphasised. And they don't market the princess at all, which was the biggest fuckup - she was one of the best elements of the film. In the US chick attendence was way down, which is a shame as the film has big chick appeal for a nerd-flick. I saw it with 2 mothers who ended up enjoying it more than the kids. It's a cheesy romance story at it's heart (especially the ending) and the marketing should have honed in on this.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sagrilarus, wice

More
13 Mar 2012 10:34 #119098 by Hatchling

Mr Skeletor wrote: the film has big chick appeal for a nerd-flick. I saw it with 2 mothers who ended up enjoying it more than the kids. It's a cheesy romance story at it's heart

hallelujah! I just may be able to get my other half to see this with me after all.

More
13 Mar 2012 10:43 #119099 by wice
Replied by wice on topic Re: Just saw John Carter...

Hatchling wrote:

Mr Skeletor wrote: the film has big chick appeal for a nerd-flick. I saw it with 2 mothers who ended up enjoying it more than the kids. It's a cheesy romance story at it's heart

hallelujah! I just may be able to get my other half to see this with me after all.

My wife loved it (especially the space-doggy-thingy), and she's as far from being a sci-fi fan as possible.

More
13 Mar 2012 10:44 #119100 by doubtofbuddha
The Martian dog is also a pretty big selling factor for at least the ladies I was with. It is ugly in an adorable sort of way, and they ended up spending most of its screen time justifiably cooing about how cute it was.

More
13 Mar 2012 11:13 #119102 by wice

Mr Skeletor wrote: You guys saw a different film from me, since the one I saw was full of character and heart. If anything I didn't think it had much in terms of 'spectical' - there wasn't much action and the action scenes were all pretty short. It was more a a talky film, which I enjoyed.
Marketing in Australia was as shit as it was in the US. No one knows what the film is about. It just looks like a conan ripoff. The ape scene is WAY over-emphasised. And they don't market the princess at all, which was the biggest fuckup - she was one of the best elements of the film. In the US chick attendence was way down, which is a shame as the film has big chick appeal for a nerd-flick. I saw it with 2 mothers who ended up enjoying it more than the kids. It's a cheesy romance story at it's heart (especially the ending) and the marketing should have honed in on this.

Personally, I think they could have built up the romance between the two characters a little bit better, but it's still far from being soulless. I'm a cynical bastard in general, but at two points of the film (when Carter attacks a whole army with the doggy-thingy on his side, and they cut to his memories, and at the very end) I was -->this<-- close to shed some (of course, very masculine) man-tears.

More
13 Mar 2012 21:27 #119186 by Notahandle
Jeff White wrote:
" I would guess that modern audiences have no idea who John Carter is. I mean, the only folks reading/have read Princess of Mars are old people (_really_ old)"
We could test that theory if only Southernman were still here.

More
14 Mar 2012 02:30 #119213 by repoman
Replied by repoman on topic Re: Just saw John Carter...
Went to see it this evening. Things I would say about it.

1) The Princess is by far the BEST thing about this movie. Her shocking blue eyes have been amped up by special effects no doubt but she is a beautiful women and did a fine job playing the part. I will IMDB her to find out what else if anything she has been in.

2) I agree that it lacked some soul. Perhaps I have seen too many of these so called blockbusters but so very few of them have the heart to be great movies.

3) Visual effects were well done with the exception of some of the jumping shots which looked like crap.

4) Overall, it was ok. Not great. Not horrible. Middle of the road.

5) Wice is either completely insane or things are REALLY different where he's from because I have NEVER chosen which movie to see by walking into a theater and looking at the posters. They may give me ideas for the next time I go but I always know what I want to see before I arrive.

More
14 Mar 2012 08:13 - 14 Mar 2012 10:25 #119229 by wice

repoman wrote: 5) Wice is either completely insane or things are REALLY different where he's from because I have NEVER chosen which movie to see by walking into a theater and looking at the posters. They may give me ideas for the next time I go but I always know what I want to see before I arrive.

I wasn't talking about you. It's like saying that "I have NEVER gone to a toy store, and buy the first Monopoly-variant that looked slightly interesting". You are a geek. I am a geek. Most people aren't. The majority of people go to the cinema in the closest shopping center after they finished shopping for clothes, had a fine dinner in the McDonalds, and still don't feel like going home.
Last edit: 14 Mar 2012 10:25 by wice.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.185 seconds