October 09, 2023
2218 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2438 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk abut Movies & TV here. Just tell us what you have been watching. Have hyper-academic discussions on visual semiotics. Whatever, it's all good.

Just saw John Carter...

More
14 Mar 2012 10:47 #119230 by repoman
Replied by repoman on topic Re: Just saw John Carter...
I stand by the insantity statement. If not for this then for something else...I'm sure of it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: wice

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 Mar 2012 14:25 - 15 Mar 2012 14:50 #119359 by Mr. White
Alright, watched it myself last night.

I agree with Frank. This movie does have heart and it's how the SW prequels should have been shot. It does have an old-school epic feel.

I have only read the first book in the series, but I found the film to be very much in the spirit of the book. The sets and costumes where great as were the CGI on the Tharks. It was refreshing to see old-timey pulp heroes and villains rocking the bare chest, colorful cape/shoulder pad look. I'm so sick of the 'organic', gazillion-moving-part robot look that's in every movie now (including half the trailers I saw...Avengers, Battleship...they seem to be fighting the transformers...yawn).

The wife really enjoyed it as well, and she's not a big fan of these type of genre films. They did a good job with the pacing, characters, and included several laughs without getting all slapsticky. The Kantos Kan rescue was worth the price of admission alone.

Glad I didn't take the 5 year old to see it though. Tharks shooting their own hatchlings, dead wives and children, etc would have been a bit much. Also, there were a few bits that the film could have fleshed out more...such as the 9th ray. He'd be a bit lost.

John Carter's fight with the Warhoon is the closest to a live action Frazetta painting that's been put to film. Fantastic.

I'd rate this up there with the best genre films based on books of the past 10 years. Lord of the Rings, Spider-Man 2, John Carter.
Last edit: 15 Mar 2012 14:50 by Mr. White.

More
15 Mar 2012 18:27 #119403 by SuperflyPete
That list is incomplete without Bubba Ho-Tep.
www.imdb.com/title/tt0281686/

More
16 Mar 2012 01:34 #119464 by Not Sure

SuperflyTNT wrote: That list is incomplete without Bubba Ho-Tep.
www.imdb.com/title/tt0281686/

Every list is incomplete without Bubba Ho-Tep.

More
16 Mar 2012 03:31 #119473 by jason10mm

repoman wrote: Went to see it this evening. Things I would say about it.

1) The Princess is by far the BEST thing about this movie. Her shocking blue eyes have been amped up by special effects no doubt but she is a beautiful women and did a fine job playing the part. I will IMDB her to find out what else if anything she has been in.

You want to watch the first couple of episodes of Tru Blood. Especially ep 4 or so :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mr Skeletor

More
21 Mar 2012 00:47 #119997 by Ancient_of_MuMu
Finally got to see it last night, and I enjoyed it. No, it is not one of the truly great Hollywood genre films like The Dark Knight or Star Wars, but it is enjoyable and fun, and nowhere near the train wreck some have made it out to be. The movie I would say it is most similar to in quality is 1999's The Mummy, which is fun but falls down a bit under detailed analysis. While the Mummy is probably a tighter script and has more humor, the action is better in John Carter. I will get a copy for home viewing and watch it every few years like I do with The Mummy.

Still waiting for Barney's verdict ...

More
21 Mar 2012 12:38 #120038 by Black Barney
there's no way I'm seein' that movie. I'll see Jump Street first.

especially if you're saying The Mummy is better which I HATED

More
21 Mar 2012 13:58 #120049 by Mr. White
Yeah... Barney's not interested in seeing any new IPs or ideas. He's just into seeing sequels and prequels this year. :)

More
21 Mar 2012 14:09 #120053 by Black Barney
ugh, I hate sequels and prequels. I prefer IPs. But trumping both of those, I prefer great movies and I don't think John Carter will be that.

Hey, I have the opportunity to see 4 movies in short order. Here are the ones I will see and I PROMISE that if I were to see a 5th movie, it would be John Carter.

Today: 21 Jump Street
Friday: hunger games (looks great)
Monday: The Lorax (i don't expect it to be great but surely better than JohN Carter)
Tuesday; Safe House (same)

After those four, John Carter is top of my list until something better comes out.

More
21 Mar 2012 14:18 #120054 by repoman
Replied by repoman on topic Re: Just saw John Carter...
Wow Barney. I expected you to be a bit more open minded when it comes to movies. To judge John Carter without seeing it well that smacks of "Pulsipher-ism" (just made that up).

Besides, you dis Carter and then list 21 Jump Street the movie as something you'd prefer. What? 21 Jump Street was iffy at best 20 years ago on Fox. Remaking this is about as great an idea as the Yogi Bear movie.

Hunger Games looks great? Yah perhaps if I was 15 and didn't know that the movie was originally titled "The Running Man".

Lorax better than John Carter? Lets see..on this hand Ultra Hot Martian Princess...and on this hand grumpy teddy bear with Wilfred Brimley mustache selling a leftest world view...gimme the Princess.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mr Skeletor, Sagrilarus, wice

More
21 Mar 2012 14:34 - 21 Mar 2012 14:37 #120064 by Mr. White

Black Barney wrote: ugh, I hate sequels and prequels. I prefer IPs. But trumping both of those, I prefer great movies and I don't think John Carter will be that.

Black Barney wrote: Prometheus is the movie I'm most looking forward to this year. Dark Knight Rises is a close 2nd and Hobbit is a VERY distant 3rd (I might not even see it)

prequels and sequels... :)

Take a chance, Barney. Go see John Carter.
Last edit: 21 Mar 2012 14:37 by Mr. White.
The following user(s) said Thank You: wice

More
21 Mar 2012 16:13 #120085 by Black Barney
good point Jeff, maybe I do like prequels and sequels in the end. Last year the movie I most looked forward to was Tron Legacy.

repoman, I'm not judging John Carter like I judge other movies that I've seen. it simply doesn't look great and I've also heard it's average. It doesn't draw me at all. I hear that 21 Jump Street is good fun. Hunger Games looks interesting to me (I love Running Man, especially as a book)

...yeah the more I think about it, maybe I don't like IPs at all.

More
21 Mar 2012 18:49 - 21 Mar 2012 18:50 #120141 by aerodynamics

repoman wrote: Hunger Games looks great? Yah perhaps if I was 15 and didn't know that the movie was originally titled "The Running Man".

Actually it was orginally titled "Battle Royale". ;-)

I've got to go see this myself on Saturday and I'm not looking forward to it, but my wife is so excited that she insists the whole family go. The whole Hunger Games book phenomenon reminds me of the same thing that happened with Twilight (adored by teenage girls and housewives nationwide!), but hopefully I'll be pleasantly surprised. Personally I'd rather go see John Carter kick some ass and ogle the Martian princess in 3-D.
Last edit: 21 Mar 2012 18:50 by aerodynamics.

More
21 Mar 2012 22:47 #120180 by Black Barney
I will go out on a line and say that I predict Hunger Games will actually be good. Jennifer Lawrence is REALLY a strong actress and I think she might be able to carry a movie on her own. They didn't cast Kristen Stewart for a reason. I thought the trailer was weak but interesting. I'll try and see it Friday.

btw I saw 21 Jump Street today and it was really funny. 4.5 stars out of 5 (that's being a BIT generous maybe). Really funny and fun.

Man, I hate 3D. Maybe that's why I'm avert to seeing JC too

More
21 Mar 2012 23:15 #120182 by Mr. White

Black Barney wrote: Hey, I have the opportunity to see 4 movies in short order.

Today: 21 Jump Street
Friday: hunger games (looks great)
Monday: The Lorax (i don't expect it to be great but surely better than JohN Carter)
Tuesday; Safe House (same)

Even without the best choice still being in the theater (JC), anyone who ops to pay cash money to view these four movies in a week has lost all cred as a movie critic.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mr Skeletor

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.247 seconds