October 09, 2023
2296 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2511 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk abut Movies & TV here. Just tell us what you have been watching. Have hyper-academic discussions on visual semiotics. Whatever, it's all good.

Let's Talk John Carpenter

More
07 Nov 2014 15:22 #190214 by Michael Barnes

Shellhead wrote: If John Carpenter played board games, I bet he would be into AmeriTrash. The idea of him playing the Escape from New York board game amuses me.

He's really into video games, actually. Loves the Dead Space games, which isn't surprising.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 Nov 2014 15:29 #190215 by Black Barney
oh man, if Carpenter could be involved at all with the Dead Space movie, that would be the nuts.

Where's the love for Starman?? I've seen that movie like 3-4 times and I love it. Makes me cry all the time. I want to have that apple pie from the diner SO BAD.

And is no one talking about The Fog? SO FRICKIN' SCARY. I was scared to death by that movie. That early scene were they're on the boat and one poor sailor gets both his eyes skewered?? YIKES. It's hilarious that the remake for it is, what I consider, to be the single worst movie of all time.

They Live is perfect AT in my opinion. Love that flick.

Prince of Darkness scared me as a kid. The Thing is just perfection.

More
07 Nov 2014 15:48 - 07 Nov 2014 16:33 #190217 by Mr. White

Chapel wrote: Christine the "low" point? No way.

I said _maybe_. Hey, Christine and StarMan are decent flicks. So, if that's his worst during the decade, he's done alright.

Still, is there another director that has had as solid of a run over a 10 year span?

Jeb, that movie rating guide was great. Wish we could enforce the F:AT scores when folks post about movies they watch...
(I think 'reagan-era punks' is one of my favorite criteria)
Last edit: 07 Nov 2014 16:33 by Mr. White.

More
07 Nov 2014 17:48 #190222 by stoic
Replied by stoic on topic Re: Let's Talk John Carpenter
How come no one is showing any love for Escape from L.A.? ;-)

More
07 Nov 2014 17:54 #190223 by Shellhead

stoic wrote: How come no one is showing any love for Escape from L.A.? ;-)

It was too silly compared to the awesome original. I'm not much of a sports fan anymore, but I found the basketball scene to be the most exciting and memorable part of the movie.

More
07 Nov 2014 18:03 #190227 by drewcula
Despite their failings, I always return to Carpenter's self described 'apocalypse trilogy.' The Thing, Prince of Darkness, and At the Mouths of Madness. Not without their flaws, they tackle big themes in modest screen times. I'm such a nut for Prince of Darkness, while visiting the in-laws in LA, I went on a location pilgrimage to the church. It's a community arts center now, but man; I crawled all over it taking pictures. 27 years later, it looks almost identical.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb, stoic

More
07 Nov 2014 21:04 - 10 Nov 2014 20:39 #190235 by Jackwraith
The Thing is clearly his best film: tightly paced, well written, utterly eerie and yet still includes serious action and then has the wonderfully ambivalent ending. I love Escape from New York as kind of a king of B movies. There are so many good elements to it and I'll never forget William Gibson's admission that he drew on the memory of Van Cleef and Russell discussing their respective special forces' units (Texas Thunder and Black Flag) when he wrote Armitage's flashback to Operation Screaming Fist ("Omaha Thunder is down!") I certainly appreciate Halloween for the amazing work that was done on a shoestring budget, even though I'm not a fan of the genre it inspired at all.

While I don't actively dislike Little China, it's a pretty bad film, all things considered. If you can appreciate it just for the OTT wuxia elements, it works. I like They Live's message and performances, but MB is right in that it's a little thin otherwise. I'm another person who's fond of Prince of Darkness, even past its flaws. The rest of them? Meh. I think he was at the top of his game early on (Halloween, Escape from New York, The Thing) and kind of descended from there.
Last edit: 10 Nov 2014 20:39 by Jackwraith.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
07 Nov 2014 22:00 #190239 by stoic
Replied by stoic on topic Re: Let's Talk John Carpenter

Attachment thylv.jpg not found

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Mr. White

More
07 Nov 2014 22:31 #190243 by Sevej
Replied by Sevej on topic Re: Let's Talk John Carpenter
Again, I'm the only one who likes Ghost of Mars.

More
08 Nov 2014 21:37 #190271 by Shellhead

Sevej wrote: Again, I'm the only one who likes Ghost of Mars.

No, I mentioned upthread that I liked Ghost of Mars. It is isn't one of Carpenter's great movies, but it has a certain charm, as well as an unconventional setting.

More
09 Nov 2014 07:25 #190284 by Sevej
Replied by Sevej on topic Re: Let's Talk John Carpenter
Ah I see it now.

BTW, the Thing has always hold special place in my heart. Back then my (late) dad often asked me to accompany him to watch late night films. Back in the 80s we only had 1 TV station and the it only played western movies late night. One of the titles that we watched together was the Thing, and I think I was around 8 years old. He certainly had known the movie before because he gave me *that* smirk.

His taste had always been impeccable (being on the other side of the world), I remember we also watched the Shogun (James Clavell) series, a movie about missionary in the new world, and another missionary movie in a island full of people suffering leprosy.

More
10 Nov 2014 14:44 #190367 by Space Ghost
The Vampire$ book is way better than the movie.....way, way better.

More
10 Nov 2014 15:14 #190371 by Shellhead

Space Ghost wrote: The Vampire$ book is way better than the movie.....way, way better.

It's been a long time since I saw the movie, and even longer since I read the book, but I found the movie fairly average, and didn't even recognize it as John Carpenter movie at the time. However, I also found the book disappointing. The original story is somewhat different, but had some really neat ideas for vampire-killing. The big one was the idea of knocking down the building containing the vamps in the middle of the day, then using a harpoon gun and cable to haul the vamps out into the sunlight to burn. But at some point in the book, all the coolness went out the windown as a big bad master vampire shows up and comes across like some unstoppable evil deity. I don't even remember how the book ended anymore, aside from the good guys winning a costly victory.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.203 seconds