October 09, 2023
2455 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2657 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk abut Movies & TV here. Just tell us what you have been watching. Have hyper-academic discussions on visual semiotics. Whatever, it's all good.

Santo!!

More
03 Dec 2014 17:49 #191860 by OldHippy
Santo!! was created by OldHippy
So, a musician I was playing with tells me I should watch these things. Starting with this one right here...

but it's in Spanish and that doesn't help me at all. Does anyone know if it's worth the effort to track down subtitled versions? Where to look? It seems like fun and I like the story of this guys life well enough. My curiosity is piqued.
The following user(s) said Thank You: stoic

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Dec 2014 18:15 #191861 by Michael Barnes
Replied by Michael Barnes on topic Re: Santo!!
Eh, don't bother with the subtitled versions...it's really not worth it. You are not missing out on any scintillating dialogue or anything like that, and the plots are simple enough that a kid can follow them without any exposition.

I've seen tons of these, many of them I barely remember because they kind of blend together. Let's face it, these movies are actually really bad...but then they have these AMAZING scenes that make watching 75 minutes worth of turgid drama, bad acting, cheap sets and really BORING storylines worthwhile. Santo really carries the films, as long as the novelty of seeing him out on a date or in court in a suit and the mask doesn't wear off.

The best one I've seen is Santo y Blue Demon contra Dracula y El Hombre Lobo. I shouldn't have to translate that. It does what it says on the tin. There's some really great stuff in it...Santo and his lady are out at dinner at a fancy restaraunt and BOOM, in busts Frankenstein and some other classic monsters. The end is an actual wrestling match with Dracula, in which he turns into a rubber bat. among other "special" moves.

Santo y los Mujeres Vampiros is one of the better known ones...maybe watch that one and see what you think.

Shit gets crazy...they go to Atlantis, battle stranglers/mummies/kidnappers/smugglers/aliens/La Llorna (of course)...there is an "adult" one, I think it's called something like "The Vampire and the Sex".

I can't remember which one it is (maybe Santo y los Karatekas?) where they go to this island and the natives worship an idol that is literally a C3PO mask stuck in a wreath. Absofuckinglutely hilarious.

There is also a TURKISH movie with Santo in it called 3 Dev Adam that is quite frankly one of the most bizarre psychotronic movies I've ever seen. Santo and Captain America (yep) team up against Spider-Man (yep) who has become both evil and green. Spidey does awful stuff like burying a woman up to her neck in the sand at the beach and backing a speedboat over her.

Turkish movies are AMAZING...Tarkan versus the Vikings might be the highest achievment in the world of bizarro cinema. TOTALLY delivers.
The following user(s) said Thank You: OldHippy, stoic

More
04 Dec 2014 07:31 #191880 by stormseeker75
Replied by stormseeker75 on topic Re: Santo!!
Seriously, Barnes, is there anything you DON'T have an incredible knowledge of? You are on interesting dude.

More
04 Dec 2014 10:46 #191900 by ThirstyMan
Replied by ThirstyMan on topic Re: Santo!!
There's a hilarious Turkish version of Star Wars.

I stumbled onto it once but now I can't remember where.

More
04 Dec 2014 10:47 #191901 by ThirstyMan
Replied by ThirstyMan on topic Re: Santo!!

stormseeker75 wrote: Seriously, Barnes, is there anything you DON'T have an incredible knowledge of? You are on interesting dude.

Physics !!

More
04 Dec 2014 10:55 #191903 by OldHippy
Replied by OldHippy on topic Re: Santo!!

ThirstyMan wrote:

stormseeker75 wrote: Seriously, Barnes, is there anything you DON'T have an incredible knowledge of? You are on interesting dude.

Physics !!

Blues and Jazz

... maybe we should start a thread "Things Barnes Doesn't Know" I bet we could fill pages with that premise!

More
04 Dec 2014 11:18 #191908 by Mr. White
Replied by Mr. White on topic Re: Santo!!
I'd imagine Sports would be another category.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.215 seconds