October 09, 2023
2454 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2654 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk abut Movies & TV here. Just tell us what you have been watching. Have hyper-academic discussions on visual semiotics. Whatever, it's all good.

Ghostbusters/Manbusters

More
31 Jan 2015 11:25 - 31 Jan 2015 12:06 #196592 by OldHippy
So you've probably all heard that the new Ghosbusters has an all female cast. One article I saw said that "Feminism is coming to Hollywood" - oh really? Women now get to star in a re-boot of men's 30 year old ideas... WOW. Maybe wake me up when they make up their own world first? I don't know.

In any case I hate re-boots almost on principle alone, but the cast looks great and I'm willing to give it a chance. I love Ghostbusters... but I don't know if it will play as well today, I mean the sequel did suck. Still curious though.

Dan Aykroyd said he loved the idea, Ernie Hudson not so much;

www.theguardian.com/film/2015/jan/30/gho...e-hudson-female-cast

Ernie wants another paycheck and Aykroyd doesn't need one. He is kind of right that why bother calling it Ghostbusters though. I mean, George Lucas didn't do a re-boot of Flash Gordon, he did a tribute, a homage. That's the way to go and it's a big reason why I hate re-boots.

I don't know, maybe I'm not excited. Bridesmaids (same director) did what it did well though so I do have some faith. But I hated those new Trek movies too.
Last edit: 31 Jan 2015 12:06 by OldHippy.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
31 Jan 2015 11:54 #196595 by SebastianBludd
If this movie is any good I will be shocked, and it has nothing to do with the gender of the principal cast.

The first film captured lightning in a bottle. It was a passion project of Akroyd's and has his attention to detail all over the script with his Lovecraftian references to occult tomes and paranormal phenomena. Harold Ramis then helps hammer the script into shape and Bill Murray is added as the wild card, and what looks like a disaster on paper ends up being one of the best comedies of the 80's, if not all-time.

If there isn't the same sense of world-building (is Akroyd writing or producing?) and if the cast doesn't have the same great chemistry that Akroyd, Ramis, Murray, and Hudson had, then I don't know if I'll be bothered to see it in the theater; though I will see it out of a sense of obligation and morbid curiosity if it turns out to be terrible.

My prediction? A bunch of gross-out jokes and garbage-looking CGI ghosts. Puppet Slimer or GTFO.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Egg Shen

More
31 Jan 2015 12:07 #196596 by ChristopherMD
Ghostbusters might actually be my favorite movie of all time. I saw in the theater as a kid and its never failed to make me laugh since then. From what I've heard about the script, this isn't going to be anything like the original. But since its a reboot they will of course shoehorn in several of the original's jokes. And those attempts at re-hashing or imitating the original is what will hurt this movie the most. Because it will invite constant comparisons to what they're copying. They should have done a new franchise that's similar. I'd much rather see a ripoff of Ghostbusters than something that tries to be Ghostbusters. I don't actually think it matters who stars in this. To be honest I don't think the originals cast could have re-captured that lightning in a bottle even if they did make a third movie before Ramis died. Also, I'm kind of dreading what re-mix they'll come up with for the Who You Gonna Call song.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
31 Jan 2015 14:33 #196605 by Sagrilarus
Replied by Sagrilarus on topic Ghostbusters/Manbusters
For the record Ghostbusters II was awful, and that same cast was in it and crowed about how good it would be.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChristopherMD

More
31 Jan 2015 14:50 #196607 by Legomancer
Replied by Legomancer on topic Ghostbusters/Manbusters
I already love this new Ghostbusters movie solely because it's making so many itty babbies cry that their childhoods are being ruined.
The following user(s) said Thank You: engineer Al

More
31 Jan 2015 15:37 #196609 by OldHippy
Replied by OldHippy on topic Ghostbusters/Manbusters

Legomancer wrote: I already love this new Ghostbusters movie solely because it's making so many itty babbies cry that their childhoods are being ruined.

They haven't watched the sequel I guess.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChristopherMD

More
31 Jan 2015 18:00 #196613 by cdennett
Replied by cdennett on topic Ghostbusters/Manbusters
For some reason this has made me more nostalgic for the original Ghostbusters movie (also I just went to New York last month and got to see the Metropolitan Library).

First I've heard of this reboot, and hopefully the last. With so much money and talent in Hollywood, why does this re-hashed crap see the light of day instead of something original. I will deliberately avoid this unless I get lots of assurances it's not shit.

More
31 Jan 2015 21:49 #196619 by engineer Al
Replied by engineer Al on topic Ghostbusters/Manbusters

cdennett wrote: I will deliberately avoid this unless I get lots of assurances it's not shit.

Amen, Brother.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.171 seconds