October 09, 2023
2294 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2511 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk abut Movies & TV here. Just tell us what you have been watching. Have hyper-academic discussions on visual semiotics. Whatever, it's all good.

Daredevil

More
10 Apr 2015 16:21 #200628 by Michael Barnes
Daredevil was created by Michael Barnes
Awesome.

They actually got it right. They get that Matt Murdock isn't a superhero. He's a complicated dude that brings a lot of his problems onto himself because he's a masochist. They get that even though he's an incredible fighter, he still gets his ass kicked. They get the Catholic guilt business, the stuff with his dad, the brotherly relationship with Foggy. Karen Page. Stained glass windows. I've only watched two episodes but it's all there so far except for the horned costume, which is coming later apparently.

Daredevil is one of my top comics characters, up there with Batman and Cap, so it's great to see him done right after that god awful movie. The show is WAY better than Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D., Gotham, Arrow or any of the others out there. At least so far. Doesn't have that lingering corniness. It's dead serious and realistic. Fights are GREAT.

Can't wait to see how they do Bullseye, Elektra, Kingpin...there is only ONE reference to the MCU, and it was almost in passing. Almost just to tick the box.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 433, stoic

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Apr 2015 16:25 #200630 by Shellhead
Replied by Shellhead on topic Daredevil
Arrow has a lot of action for a soap opera, but everything I'm hearing about Daredevil sounds amazing compared to Arrow.

More
10 Apr 2015 16:44 #200632 by Michael Barnes
Replied by Michael Barnes on topic Daredevil
It definitely doesn't have that "CW" tone that Arrow has, with magazine models cast in every role...seriously, the girls in that show...they put a mask on them and they look like attention-seeking cosplayers. Doesn't feel authentic at all. This show is much more cinematic, much more high quality.

The origin was handled really well...we saw the accident, but the flashbacks are ongoing and there isn't the rudimentary "suiting up for the first time" thing going on. In fact, some of Daredevil's exploits are just mentioned and not shown.

More
10 Apr 2015 16:54 - 10 Apr 2015 16:55 #200633 by OldHippy
Replied by OldHippy on topic Daredevil

Michael Barnes wrote: It definitely doesn't have that "CW" tone that Arrow has, with magazine models cast in every role...seriously, the girls in that show...they put a mask on them and they look like attention-seeking cosplayers.

That alone is good news. I'm really sick of everyone being so young and fuckable all the time... it would be refreshing to see realistic looking people in a show for a change. Oh a super hot female scientist... odd in the real world, the standard on TV...

I watch all the superhero shows and honestly none of them are very good, but they're all watchable and enjoyable enough.. sometimes in spite of themselves. Agent Carter was the best of the bunch and even that one had issues here and there. I've been patiently waiting for DD to show up and give me some big smiles. I'll hopefully watch some of this tonight.
Last edit: 10 Apr 2015 16:55 by OldHippy.

More
10 Apr 2015 16:58 - 10 Apr 2015 17:08 #200635 by Michael Barnes
I turned Agents of S.H.E.I.L.D. off as soon as they tried to make the "hottie" believable as a hacker/activist. It was just preposterous.

HOLY SHIT the fight at the end of the second episode...there's an amazing long take that's not quite True Detective quality in its ambition, but you've got to see this thing...half of it happens off screen.
Last edit: 10 Apr 2015 17:08 by Michael Barnes.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 433

More
10 Apr 2015 18:43 #200641 by Josh Look
Replied by Josh Look on topic Daredevil
Just finished the first episode. Daredevil is my favorite Marvel character, and favorite superhero second to only Batman, and that first episode is a dream come true. Everything is _just right_.

Going back down stairs to watch #2 now.

More
10 Apr 2015 21:01 #200646 by jay718
Replied by jay718 on topic Daredevil

Josh Look wrote: Daredevil is my favorite Marvel character, and favorite superhero second to only Batman

My sentiments exactly. Gonna fire this up the second my boy starts snoring.

More
11 Apr 2015 12:04 #200656 by Michael Barnes
Made it through episode 7...started 8, but it was 4:30am and I had to tap out.

- D'onofrio RULES as Wilson Fisk, pitch perfect. Ruthless but moral, urbane but savage. A couple of episodes were actually more centered on him than Matt...his childhood flashbacks were really effective. His relationship with Vanessa is quite compelling.

- Stick. OMG, Scott Glenn. Total bad ass.

- Ben Urich is done really well too. Hell, every character is top flight.

- It's gotten a little weird. Also looks like we're definitely getting into The Hand.

Will probably finish it up today.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 433

More
11 Apr 2015 12:11 - 11 Apr 2015 12:11 #200657 by Josh Look
I vote for using the Spoilers tag in this thread. Posts show up on the front page now and hate to ruin this extraordinary show for anyone.

I only got through the second episode last night but, damn, was that great. I re-watched that hallway scene 3 times.
Last edit: 11 Apr 2015 12:11 by Josh Look.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Colorcrayons

More
11 Apr 2015 13:55 #200658 by repoman
Replied by repoman on topic Daredevil
Watched first three episodes.

Think they are great.

And Barnes of course is wrong in so far as events in the Marvel Universe are only mentioned in passing. The lingering effects of the end of Avengers 2 are the whole crux of Organized Crime's interest in Hell's Kitchen. Which I think is super cool.

More
11 Apr 2015 14:39 #200660 by ChristopherMD
Replied by ChristopherMD on topic Daredevil
The only good thing about being sick today is it gives me an excuse to binge-watch some of this. Got through the first 2 episodes already. Its helping to wash that awful Affleck movie from my mind.

I wish I got to see Avengers 2 already like repoman. :-p
The following user(s) said Thank You: Josh Look

More
11 Apr 2015 15:14 #200661 by Josh Look

Mad Dog wrote: I wish I got to see Avengers 2 already like repoman. :-p

I also already saw Avengers 2, and since the end of that movie is relevant to Daredevil, I'll spill the beans for you and say
Warning: Spoiler!
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChristopherMD

More
11 Apr 2015 19:09 #200669 by ChristopherMD
I didn't even realize its the same guy from Stardust and I just watched that again recently.

More
12 Apr 2015 21:04 #200701 by lj1983
Replied by lj1983 on topic Daredevil

Josh Look wrote:
I only got through the second episode last night but, damn, was that great. I re-watched that hallway scene 3 times.

episode 5 or 6, while holding babies for naps. This scene was great, with Murdock exhausted and taking any spare second to rest. but also the camera work was fun, with the camera travelling back and forth, slowly.....and not cutting in such a way that you can't see the action.

More
12 Apr 2015 21:13 #200702 by ChristopherMD
Finished it. Outstanding! Not just a great superhero show, but a great TV show. I'm now really excited about the rest of Netflix's Marvel shows.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.484 seconds