October 09, 2023
2505 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2704 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk abut Movies & TV here. Just tell us what you have been watching. Have hyper-academic discussions on visual semiotics. Whatever, it's all good.

Star Wars Trailer #2 ---Nerd Critics Vaporized!

More
16 Apr 2015 16:10 #200918 by Josh Look

Legomancer wrote: Alls I'll say is that I've seen really exciting SW trailers before. And I think I'm the only one who didn't want the old characters back.

Mark Hamill claims their role is minimal.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 Apr 2015 16:15 #200920 by The*Mad*Gamer
Less is More...Like the dinosaurs in Jurassic Park..prepare to be devastated!

More
16 Apr 2015 16:16 #200921 by jpat
I liked the first teaser, but for some reason this one wired directly into my eight-year-old self, and I'm not kidding when I say that I'm kind of a wreck right now beyond any logical reason.

More
16 Apr 2015 16:16 #200922 by Grudunza
This is cool: screenrant.com/star-wars-celebration-r2d2-bb8-2015/

BB-8 is not only super cute, but also amazing to watch.

More
16 Apr 2015 16:20 #200923 by stoic

Josh Look wrote:

stoic wrote: Ok, Star Wars nerds, I've been wondering this forever: why do stormtroopers even wear armor? It neither stops a blaster nor does it fend off a lightsaber.

Because it looks fucking cool as hell.

This is also why every modern male needs to wear a codpiece as a fashion accessory--it only promotes your masculinity.

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChristopherMD, Columbob, Ancient_of_MuMu, Frohike, DukeofChutney

More
16 Apr 2015 16:41 #200924 by Black Barney

stoic wrote: Ok, Star Wars nerds, I've been wondering this forever: why do stormtroopers even wear armor? It neither stops a blaster nor does it fend off a lightsaber.

I think they field-tested it against jawas who seem to have problems with it.

Honestly though, here's my actual theory. It's all clones in there, right? Everyone looks exactly the same and has the same build? If you saw yourself getting killed non-stop around you, maybe it has a serious detriment to morale and entire batallions would break. By putting everyone in armor so you can't really identify too much with those being killed around, you get rid of this pesky issue.

And special effects wise, it costs a lot making everyone have the same face
The following user(s) said Thank You: 433, Grudunza, stoic

More
16 Apr 2015 16:46 #200925 by ChristopherMD
The Empire's budget was tight. They had to calculate the effectiveness of expensive armor versus their ability to just make more clones. So they got the cheaper armor to save a little on training costs versus no armor.
The following user(s) said Thank You: stoic

More
16 Apr 2015 16:48 #200926 by stoic

Black Barney wrote:

I think they field-tested it against jawas who seem to have problems with it.

Honestly though, here's my actual theory. It's all clones in there, right? Everyone looks exactly the same and has the same build? If you saw yourself getting killed non-stop around you, maybe it has a serious detriment to morale and entire batallions would break. By putting everyone in armor so you can't really identify too much with those being killed around, you get rid of this pesky issue.

And special effects wise, it costs a lot making everyone have the same face

Dude, if I were a clone, then I'd like to believe that my codpiece was bigger.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

More
16 Apr 2015 16:49 #200927 by Green Lantern

Black Barney wrote: Honestly though, here's my actual theory. It's all clones in there, right?

I don't think so, Barney. The dude in these trailers most certainly is not a clone of Jango Fett. Regarding the actual question of stormtrooper utility, I think it boils to down to the cool appearance as has already been mentioned, but if you really want a narrative reason for it I'd go with life support and zero-G functions. Those two functions have only been evidenced in the Clone Wars animated series as I don't recall a single stormtrooper do anything in any movie other than act as blaster fire magnet and wookie stress toy.

More
16 Apr 2015 16:52 - 16 Apr 2015 16:52 #200928 by ChristopherMD

The dude in these trailers most certainly is not a clone of Jango Fett.

I'm assuming that's so J.J. Abrams can recycle the "little short for a stormtrooper" joke in homage to the original. Based on what he did with Star Trek I expect the entire movie to be full of similar callbacks.
Last edit: 16 Apr 2015 16:52 by ChristopherMD.

More
16 Apr 2015 16:54 #200929 by Black Barney

Green Lantern wrote:
I don't think so, Barney. The dude in these trailers most certainly is not a clone of Jango Fett. .

nono I know, i was just saying maybe that's the origin of why the armor is like that and it's basically become the uniform regardless of who's in it

More
16 Apr 2015 17:01 #200930 by Green Lantern
Ah, sorry I missed that point, Barney. I like it and think it makes more sense than anything we've witnessed in the movies to date.

More
16 Apr 2015 17:08 #200931 by Grudunza
Yeah, that's a great theory, Barney!

More
16 Apr 2015 17:10 #200932 by Joebot

Mad Dog wrote:

The dude in these trailers most certainly is not a clone of Jango Fett.

I'm assuming that's so J.J. Abrams can recycle the "little short for a stormtrooper" joke in homage to the original. Based on what he did with Star Trek I expect the entire movie to be full of similar callbacks.

Abrams' involvement is the main thing keeping me from getting TOO excited about these new movies.

However, that was a GREAT trailer. I loved the melancholy tone at the beginning, and the literal "passing of the torch." It had just the right mix of familiar elements and new stuff. Really well done. My finely-honed cynicism is weakening. It is useless to resist ...

More
16 Apr 2015 17:55 #200933 by jpat

Green Lantern wrote:

Black Barney wrote: Honestly though, here's my actual theory. It's all clones in there, right?

I don't think so, Barney. The dude in these trailers most certainly is not a clone of Jango Fett. Regarding the actual question of stormtrooper utility, I think it boils to down to the cool appearance as has already been mentioned, but if you really want a narrative reason for it I'd go with life support and zero-G functions. Those two functions have only been evidenced in the Clone Wars animated series as I don't recall a single stormtrooper do anything in any movie other than act as blaster fire magnet and wookie stress toy.

I think the armor is basically "rule of cool" and visual distinctiveness. Part of the problem is the ongoing waffling between Stormtroopers being elite soldiers and redshirts. And I think there are clones but that not all are clones and not all clones are Fett clones.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.773 seconds