October 09, 2023
2290 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2506 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk abut Movies & TV here. Just tell us what you have been watching. Have hyper-academic discussions on visual semiotics. Whatever, it's all good.

Star Wars Trailer #2 ---Nerd Critics Vaporized!

More
16 Apr 2015 20:39 #200936 by Michael Barnes
OK, I’ve had some time to adjust to living in a world where you can see Han Solo and Chewbacca together again…I’ve also stopped nerd-crying, so I can unpack some thoughts now:
- I know we’ve only seen about four minutes worth of footage, but god damn, what a difference it makes already having someone who grew up loving Star Wars making this movie instead of someone who has spent the last thirty years resenting it while cashing checks.

- Crashed Star Destroyer- holy shit, what an unexpected way to open. Totally in line with the marketing- show something familiar, show something new.
- Luke’s v/o is actually from Jedi…but that is definitely him with R2 (first point at which I welled up)

- Vader’s skull- HOLY SHIT. So important that Vader’s presence is felt in this film. And look, there’s his lightsaber…which I bet is being handed to Leia by Rey.
- Kylo Ren looks awesome, he looks a lot like Darth Revan from KOTOR. I _hope_ he doesn’t turn out to be this picture’s Darth Maul.

- New TIEs- notice the white panels?

- New stormtrooper armor- god, it looks bad ass. Totally in line with the original, but modernized both in our world and in the SW world. It’s important to remember that the armor was always changing from the original clone design up to the “classic” style, so it makes sense that it continues on. The chrome stormtrooper is a woman, I bet.

- BB8 is AMAZING. That shot of him peeking around the corner is SPOT ON with some of the warm little touches that Irvin Kershner brought to Empire- think back to R2 standing on his tippy toes.

- Notice that the ship that the Falcon flies into appears to be a Super Star Destroyer- not the one at the beginning. And also note that the SD the shuttle flies to is a different design.

- X-Wing shot- god damn it, I could watch that all day. Perfectly edited with Oscar Isaac expressing what everyone watching is feeling.

- Han and Chewie- I am not going to lie, I totally cried. Chewie is still rockin’ the bowcaster too.

About the Stormtroopers...I thought all nerds knew that the Empire stopped using the clones before the Rebellion era. As for their armor...well, it probably costs less to outfit a Stormtrooper than it does to train and feed one, so if it stops a blaster shot one time out of three there's a cost savings there.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 433, Josh Look, Frohike

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 Apr 2015 21:10 #200937 by Josh Look

Michael Barnes wrote: OK, I’ve had some time to adjust to living in a world where you can see Han Solo and Chewbacca together again…I’ve also stopped nerd-crying, so I can unpack some thoughts now:
- I know we’ve only seen about four minutes worth of footage, but god damn, what a difference it makes already having someone who grew up loving Star Wars making this movie instead of someone who has spent the last thirty years resenting it while cashing checks.

- Crashed Star Destroyer- holy shit, what an unexpected way to open. Totally in line with the marketing- show something familiar, show something new.
- Luke’s v/o is actually from Jedi…but that is definitely him with R2 (first point at which I welled up)

- Vader’s skull- HOLY SHIT. So important that Vader’s presence is felt in this film. And look, there’s his lightsaber…which I bet is being handed to Leia by Rey.
- Kylo Ren looks awesome, he looks a lot like Darth Revan from KOTOR. I _hope_ he doesn’t turn out to be this picture’s Darth Maul.

- New TIEs- notice the white panels?

- New stormtrooper armor- god, it looks bad ass. Totally in line with the original, but modernized both in our world and in the SW world. It’s important to remember that the armor was always changing from the original clone design up to the “classic” style, so it makes sense that it continues on. The chrome stormtrooper is a woman, I bet.

- BB8 is AMAZING. That shot of him peeking around the corner is SPOT ON with some of the warm little touches that Irvin Kershner brought to Empire- think back to R2 standing on his tippy toes.

- Notice that the ship that the Falcon flies into appears to be a Super Star Destroyer- not the one at the beginning. And also note that the SD the shuttle flies to is a different design.

- X-Wing shot- god damn it, I could watch that all day. Perfectly edited with Oscar Isaac expressing what everyone watching is feeling.

- Han and Chewie- I am not going to lie, I totally cried. Chewie is still rockin’ the bowcaster too.

About the Stormtroopers...I thought all nerds knew that the Empire stopped using the clones before the Rebellion era. As for their armor...well, it probably costs less to outfit a Stormtrooper than it does to train and feed one, so if it stops a blaster shot one time out of three there's a cost savings there.

Is it sad if I welled up reading this? Cuz I did.

More
16 Apr 2015 22:53 #200941 by Frohike
Totally nerd-cried at the Han/Chewy appearance. And I did it again on subsequent viewings... as silly as it felt, it made me realize the full potency of Star Wars nostalgia crashing into the cynicism I've developed over the years.

It's genuine, but damn it's nerdy as hell. :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: OldHippy

More
16 Apr 2015 23:04 - 16 Apr 2015 23:04 #200942 by Cranberries
Last edit: 16 Apr 2015 23:04 by Cranberries.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Frohike

More
17 Apr 2015 09:57 #200965 by Black Barney
Oscar Issac is in this movie??

Barnes, are you sure Luke's v/o is from Jedi? I recognize some of the lines but it really sounds like modern-day Mark Hamill. And some of the words are different I thought.

More
17 Apr 2015 10:02 #200966 by charlest
The words are different, it's of course influenced by those RoJ lines but he's speaking to his son/daughter?

More
17 Apr 2015 10:21 #200969 by Gregarius
Why do so many people assume that's Luke's daughter? Wouldn't it be more likely for her to be his niece (offspring of Leia and Han)?

I liked the trailer overall, but I still have my misgivings. Abrams is good, but he's too referential for my tastes.

More
17 Apr 2015 10:53 #200972 by Green Lantern

charlest wrote: The words are different, it's of course influenced by those RoJ lines but he's speaking to his son/daughter?

Yeah, that ain't the same dialog from Return of the Jedi, but it's close. And damn if Mark Hamill is not one awesome voice actor. At first I thought it was another character/actor delivering the lines but then you hear hints of Luke in there. I never realized Hamill had a Luke voice and always assumed that was his natural speaking voice. That voice over more than anything has me stoked to see what this new tale is about.

More
17 Apr 2015 11:07 #200974 by Black Barney
If we're to believe that Mark Hamill procreated, then they're really start to push the science fiction suspension of disbelief a little too far. I also think it's Han's kid that'll be given the lightsabre and stuff.

I didn't get to finish my thought earlier but yeah, I don't see them getting the rights to grab voice dialogue from ROTJ to use in this movie. I don't know if that's an automatic thing when Disney got the rights but I think they'd prefer Mark Hamill giving a modern-day performance on those lines since they have him anyway.

More
17 Apr 2015 12:36 #200982 by SebastianBludd
Luke's voice over is his reordered dialogue from ROTJ, verbatim. It may have been rerecorded, but they're the same lines.

I'm cautiously optimistic that the movie is as back-to-basics gritty and lived-in as the trailers make it look and that TIE hangar shoot 'em up was awesome. I'm predicting that's the moment when the stormtrooper goes AWOL.

When I watch this trailer I also like to pretend that the downed Star Destroyer is Abrams' visual metaphor for what Lucas did to the franchise with the prequels.
The following user(s) said Thank You: DukeofChutney

More
17 Apr 2015 13:04 - 17 Apr 2015 13:05 #200984 by Michael Barnes
Did y'all see some of the prop images that they've released? Kylo Ren's lightsaber is AWESOME. It's like, salvaged or something. It looks like maybe it was one that belonged to someone else that was damaged and he sort of fixed it up to work. Or he didn't have the proper training to make it and just garaged it up. Very crude. There are also new Snowtroopers (Hoth?) and Flametroopers. That carry flamethrowers. Flamethrowers.

They also revealed that it's the First Order versus the Resistance this time. Interesting...

Now, after watching the trailer 100 times or so, I actually think that between it and the little bits of reveals here and there (without looking at actual spoilers, rumors, theories or whatever) it actually shows too much! I think I can piece together at least 75% of the story. Spoilers, obviously, if you don't want to discuss ahead of release.

Warning: Spoiler!
Last edit: 17 Apr 2015 13:05 by Michael Barnes.

More
17 Apr 2015 13:36 #200985 by DukeofChutney
i agree you can put quite a lot together from the trailers, the only thing i'd add is that Daisy will probably get trained too or perhaps instead of Boyega. Also i predict that they have Iko Uwais as a Sith in a lightsaber duel.

More
17 Apr 2015 13:53 #200986 by Columbob
Andy Serkis will probably be doing a CGI/motion captured creature once again.

More
17 Apr 2015 13:54 #200987 by ChristopherMD

DukeofChutney wrote: iAlso i predict that they have Iko Uwais as a Sith in a lightsaber duel.

I had no idea Iko Uwais was going to be in this. Looks like several people from Raid 2 are involved. My interest in this just shot up by a lot.

More
17 Apr 2015 13:57 #200988 by Michael Barnes
Hmm...I wonder if Iko is actually going to be in the Kylo Ren costume performing just stunts, not necessarily an actual role.

Still unclear who Domhnall Gleeson is going to be, but his headshot on IMDB looks like he could be Crix Madine's kid!

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.282 seconds