October 09, 2023
2291 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2510 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk abut Movies & TV here. Just tell us what you have been watching. Have hyper-academic discussions on visual semiotics. Whatever, it's all good.

Star Wars Trailer #2 ---Nerd Critics Vaporized!

More
17 Apr 2015 14:47 - 17 Apr 2015 14:50 #200989 by Grudunza
I don't know why it took a dozen views of the trailer before this dawned on me, but Han saying "We're home" has a great extra meaning to imply that after the prequel CGI Jar Jar nonsense, we're back to more of the essence of what makes this franchise so meaningful for so many. Or maybe I'm reading too much into that, but I feel like that's an intentional, though subtle implication, and as a universal body of fans we're all feeling in agreement, in a way that resonates more than merely seeing the familiar characters and actors. Or at least that's what they want us to feel, but I think it succeeds in a big way.
Last edit: 17 Apr 2015 14:50 by Grudunza.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shellhead

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 Apr 2015 15:12 #200991 by Jackwraith
I liked it more than the first one. Like many, I thought the pan across the downed destroyer was well done and there's a lot to see and question, even if Harrison Ford looks every bit his 72-year-old self in that shot, which is a little jarring, both for that being Han Solo and because Chewie looks exactly the same (couldn't they, like, add a little gray to his fur or something?)

That said: I'm still in feral animal mode. The prequels burned so much out of me and, unlike so many others who saw the films in the 70s as I did, I never really got into the extended media (ignored the books except for Han Solo and the Lost Legacy; ignored the comics except for a couple of Dark Horse's limited series about the distant past of the Sith, etc.) and, after Abrams' last Star Trek effort, I'm dreading seeing some kind of homage pastiche that a) lacks story and b) lacks any worthwhile character depth for the actors at hand. We already saw how Lucas could turn people like Liam Neeson, Natalie Portman, and Ewan McGregor (stoned or not) into mannequins. Abrams' effort on the last Star Trek film wasn't that much better (i.e. you can make a bad film out of a good screenplay, but you can't make a good film out of a bad one...)

So, yes, I'm hopeful, but very, very guarded. For Jeebus' sake, please, PLEASE just let there be a story that's interesting and has absolutely nothing to do with fucking midichlorians or aliens "for the kids" ("Meesa blatant racial stereotype!")
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shellhead, Hex Sinister, Colorcrayons

More
17 Apr 2015 15:15 #200992 by Michael Barnes
Oh, that is 100% intentional. Two classic, beloved characters on screen for the first time in over 30 years saying that they're home- especially after years and years of the franchise fumbling and faltering- is intended to have a very specific effect. Han is saying, effectively, that we're ALL home and that the Star Wars name is back to where it once belonged, so to speak.

And it FEELS like home in a way that even that first Episode I trailer did not. That was all LOOK AT ALL OF THIS NEW STUFF THAT TECHNOLOG HATH WROUGHT. This one is all "here's a new story in a setting and with characters that you already know and love. Oh, and here's a bunch of new stuff".

More
17 Apr 2015 15:27 #200993 by Cranberries

Michael Barnes wrote: Oh, that is 100% intentional. Two classic, beloved characters on screen for the first time in over 30 years saying that they're home- especially after years and years of the franchise fumbling and faltering- is intended to have a very specific effect. Han is saying, effectively, that we're ALL home and that the Star Wars name is back to where it once belonged, so to speak.

And it FEELS like home in a way that even that first Episode I trailer did not. That was all LOOK AT ALL OF THIS NEW STUFF THAT TECHNOLOG HATH WROUGHT. This one is all "here's a new story in a setting and with characters that you already know and love. Oh, and here's a bunch of new stuff".

I hacked the webcam in Barnes' computer and got this clip of him watching the new trailer. It's weird, but he resembles Matthew Mcconaughey.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Michael Barnes, Hex Sinister, The*Mad*Gamer

More
17 Apr 2015 16:07 #200995 by Green Lantern

SebastianBludd wrote: Luke's voice over is his reordered dialogue from ROTJ, verbatim. It may have been rerecorded, but they're the same lines.

My bad. I wasn't clear. What I should have said was yes, it's the same dialog except for that last line. That's new and the voice work is certainly different. Either way it's good to hear Luke again and I can't wait to see his role in this one. I'm betting he totally gets an Obi-Wan moment and becomes one with the Force to give this new generation a fighting chance.

More
17 Apr 2015 16:38 #200997 by The*Mad*Gamer

I hacked the webcam in Barnes' computer and got this clip of him watching the new trailer. It's weird, but he resembles Matthew Mcconaughey.

Busted a gut! Love it!

More
17 Apr 2015 16:45 - 17 Apr 2015 16:51 #200998 by Josh Look

Gregarius wrote: Abrams is good, but he's too referential for my tastes.

Which might actually be okay here since Star Wars has the tendency to reference itself with some regularity. "I've got a bad feeling about this" anyone?

Side note - That desert with the downed Star Destroyer? Not Tatooine apparently.
Last edit: 17 Apr 2015 16:51 by Josh Look.

More
17 Apr 2015 16:57 #201000 by OldHippy

Gregarius wrote: I liked the trailer overall, but I still have my misgivings. Abrams is good, but he's too referential for my tastes.

I hear you. I hated his Star Trek re-boot, it felt decidedly un-Trek to me... which was partly because it was a movie and partly because of Abrams whole approach to the franchise.

However I do remember thinking, several times in fact, 'I bet he'd be great for Star Wars'. Those two Trek films feel much more like SW films to me than they do Trek films. They have the spirit of a SW movie. Which was an issue for me because I wanted a cool actual sci-fi Trek film and never got it.

I'm still waiting on reviews obviously but I like the trailers, I cried a little when I saw Han and Chewie, and I'm considering making this my son's first theatrical experience. He's seen movies, but never in a theatre. What a way to start!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gregarius

More
17 Apr 2015 17:02 #201001 by Joebot

Josh Look wrote: Side note - That desert with the downed Star Destroyer? Not Tatooine apparently.

That's according to Abrams ... the same guy who spent a year vehemently denying that Benedict Cumberbatch's character in "Star Trek Into Darkness" was Khan. So .. yeah. I'd take everything he says with a huge grain of salt (or sand, in this case).

More
17 Apr 2015 17:09 #201002 by Gregarius

JonJacob wrote: I'm considering making this my son's first theatrical experience. He's seen movies, but never in a theatre. What a way to start!

What an awesome idea! I fully support the notion of making even little things into "events." Yesterday I was in a small meeting and I made everybody watch the trailer on the big screen. It was silly and nerdy (but I work at a software company, so everyone was watching it anyway), but I told them "At least now you'll have a memory attached to the trailer, instead of just randomly watching it alone at your computer."

I know the the SW films have always been self-referential, which is fine, I just think Abrams does too much of it. Super 8 was his Spielberg homage. The rebooted Treks were his interpretation of an homage. I'd like to see something fully new.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cranberries, OldHippy

More
21 Apr 2015 14:42 #201211 by Legomancer
I was finally able to articulate my feelings about the trailer. It's on my blog and I'll link instead of repost because there's honestly no reason any of you should care.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.191 seconds