October 09, 2023
2451 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2653 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk abut Movies & TV here. Just tell us what you have been watching. Have hyper-academic discussions on visual semiotics. Whatever, it's all good.

Batman vs. Superman trailer

More
18 Apr 2015 01:07 - 18 Apr 2015 01:08 #201012 by Grudunza

I'm sure I'd appreciate that more if it didn't come out the day after the SW trailer. But regardless, it's pretty compelling. Not sure how his Bruce Wayne is, but I'll give Affleck some props for looking good in the Bat suit. Would have liked a glimpse of Wonder Woman, though. (Duh.)
Last edit: 18 Apr 2015 01:08 by Grudunza.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 Apr 2015 01:47 #201016 by Michael Barnes
God fucking damn it, is Zack Snyder unaware that it is not 1997 anymore? Anger anger anger, grimace rage. Angsty angst. Negative ass bullshit. No superheroes here folks- just damaged, conflicted, selfish assholes.

He makes movies like the guy that listened to nothing but "The Downward Spiral" throughout the 1990s would. "I hate everything, everything sucks, nobody loves me." This is the tone of that trailer.

I don't know why DC doesn't see that what has made the Marvel pictures so successf is that they are bright, colorful, positive and FUN. If it were 1997, then maybe this dark ass, negative bullshit would fly. But seriously, in a post Guardians of the Galaxy world, who wants to see this kind of hateful, joyless garbage? Thanks a lot, "visionary director of 300 and Sucker Punch".

Seriously, just one day after one of the most joyful trailers ever we get this trash?

Winter Soldier was very dark...but it was ADULT dark, not pissed off teenager dark. And at the center was a real hero, not a psychopath that happens to be on the good side.

I hate every fucking thing about this trailer EXCEPT for the design of Batman's armor...but even that is just ripped right out of Miller, as is the shot of Superman over Batman. Oh look, Zack wants to show us that he likes The Dark Knight Returns...GOOD JOB BUDDY.

Why couldn't they have just hired Uwe Boll, it would have been cheaper if they were just trying to get a hack to drive the franchises into the ground.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shellhead, 433, ChristopherMD, SebastianBludd, Josh Look, charlieturtle, Gregarius

More
18 Apr 2015 07:51 - 18 Apr 2015 07:59 #201019 by Grudunza

Anger anger anger, grimace rage. Angsty angst. Negative ass bullshit. No superheroes here folks- just damaged, conflicted, selfish assholes.

Yup, good point. No levity at all.

What interests me, thematically, is the idea of the world turning on Superman. There might be interesting things to say about that, from a cultural and religious standpoint. To me, that's a compelling premise, at least. But you're right, no joy evident in the telling.
Last edit: 18 Apr 2015 07:59 by Grudunza.

More
18 Apr 2015 09:54 #201023 by Legomancer
hahahaha this thing looks so fucking terrible

I'm not even a huge SW fan anymore but having this sad little dark and rainy turd come out after that trailer did it no favors.

I don't give any fucks about Batman; his fans seemingly can't get enough of this grit-teeth joyless shit, but why does Superman have to be involved?

And finally, I think that the question, "Is Superman too powerful and potentially corruptable?" Is best asked and answered by someone other than a white guy who's a billionaire.
The following user(s) said Thank You: SuperflyPete, Attrition

More
18 Apr 2015 15:48 - 18 Apr 2015 15:48 #201026 by Josh Look
Fuck everything having to do this and anyone who will spend money seeing it.

That statement has nothing to do with Ben Affleck.
Last edit: 18 Apr 2015 15:48 by Josh Look.

More
18 Apr 2015 18:30 #201031 by SuperflyPete
PLOT SYNOPSIS:

Batman confronts Superman and says, "Do you bleed? You will."

Superman flies down and rips his head off, Predator-style, and kicks his dismembered skull from Gotham to central Europe.

Superman grimaces.

THE END.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cranberries

More
18 Apr 2015 18:34 #201033 by Michael Barnes
MORRRRRRTALLLLL KOMMMMMMMMBATTTTTTT

OOMPH OOMPH OOMPH OOMPHOOMPHOOMPH

More
18 Apr 2015 18:43 #201034 by Michael Barnes
Who is getting the most in-the-coffin RPMs- Siegel and Shuster or Bob Kane?

And how is it that Batman & Robin actually looks like LESS of a disgrace in light of this trailer?

More
18 Apr 2015 19:01 #201035 by OldHippy
Pete's idea is probably better than what we'll see... it at least has that Bambie vs. Godzilla feel to it.

I can be pretty contrarian at times, and I still can't defend this thing. I remember watching Sucker Punch and telling myself that I would defend this movie later... I was convinced that I was going to try and prove to people this was good without even having seen it... thirty minutes in I stopped watching it... there was no way in hell I was going to defend this piece of shit.

I also remember when 300 came out and I went to see it and I thought it was pretty good... just 60 minutes too long. It could have been a good 30 minute short, take away the political bullshit and the monsters... it's ok. I love the comic, I think it's Lynn Varley's best work and Franks inks are striking and beautiful... it's shallow as all hell and not very well written but it is primarily a visual comic so I think it works all in all. The movie did get that look down pretty well... so it could have been great if Zack didn't decide to add all this stupid shit.

Snyder got his head stuck up his ass when that movie came out and he had no right to put it there just yet. People liked it more than they should have.

I like DC better than Marvel.. but they cannot make good movies or TV shows in comparison. Agent Carter and now Daredevil are infinitely better than all the DC shows. Unfortunately... Constatine could have been great, but it's mostly just ok. Such a waste. Flash is stupid fun but ultimately not very good and Arrow... same thing pretty much. I haven't watched Gotham yet but I don't see it doing much better.

Even the Nolan Batman movies are a little too serious for their own good, even those feel stuck in the 90's to some degree. They are amazing films still, but there is little to no self awareness in them, little to no humour and I hate that. Even in a concentration camp people tell jokes... you cannot remove humour from story without hurting your story. Marvel has never taken itself seriously and as a result all of their film projects are at least tolerable. DC's closest effort was Green Lantern... which I actually liked for some reason (saw it twice even). Ryan Renolds was fun in that picture and it moved at a decent pace. It didn't fuck around explaining everything it just threw you into GL's world and hoped you could figure it out... but it flopped and DC abandoned that technique all together.

Now we have this.. I saw this the same day as the Star Wars one... it was awful even without the SW comparison. It was sad. He's making a movie for his 16 year old self with no consideration for anyone else in the world. It may turn out that this movie is good and SW sucks (I doubt it though) in which case, fine... I don't really care too much. But this trailer tells you a lot about the tone they've chosen, it tells you what kind of mentality is going into it.

It hurts me inside because I do love DC's universe. Marvel has never made a Watchmen, a Dark Knight, A Swamp Thing, a Sandman, Invisibles, Animal Man, Doom Patrol, ... they have fun romps here and there but they just haven't made those genre defining comics.

You know, Marvel aims low, and they hit it... even beat it on occasion... DC aims high and fails just about every time. A bad art film is about as bad as a film can be... a bad genre film is usually tolerable in comparison.

More
18 Apr 2015 21:56 #201041 by ChristopherMD
I don't care about Affleck. I think he'd be fine playing a celebrity bachelor like Bruce Wayne. The reason I won't see this is because I don't like most of Snyders movies and hated his Man Of Steel. I don't want a Superman who lets his father die right in front of him just to protect his secret identity. Among other issues with that movie.

More
18 Apr 2015 22:48 #201045 by Legomancer

Michael Barnes wrote: Who is getting the most in-the-coffin RPMs- Siegel and Shuster or Bob Kane?

I think you mean Bill Finger, if you mean the creator of Batman .
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gregarius, Tim Champlin

More
19 Apr 2015 10:47 #201051 by jpat
Replied by jpat on topic Batman vs. Superman trailer
Given that the Snyder Superman is a homicidal sociopath, it's probably fitting that he duke it out with a misanthropic sociopath so that "justice" can dawn.

There have certainly been alternative takes on Superman, and the "how would the world react" is, I suppose, interesting in the abstract, but at this point I don't have any interest even in hate-watching.

More
19 Apr 2015 12:28 #201054 by Green Lantern

Michael Barnes wrote: God fucking damn it, is Zack Snyder unaware that it is not 1997 anymore? Anger anger anger, grimace rage. Angsty angst. Negative ass bullshit. No superheroes here folks- just damaged, conflicted, selfish assholes.

You did catch the Nolan Bat flicks, right? They are just as guilty of this as you think Snyder is, chap. Especially that last turd in the series that had Batman moping in his pajamas for eight years.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rafael Silva

More
19 Apr 2015 12:30 #201055 by Josh Look
(borrowing one from the Repoman playbook here)

You're wrong.

PS - Further retorts will result in the same response.

More
19 Apr 2015 12:32 #201056 by Green Lantern

SuperflyTNT wrote: PLOT SYNOPSIS:

Batman confronts Superman and says, "Do you bleed? You will."

Superman flies down and rips his head off, Predator-style, and kicks his dismembered skull from Gotham to central Europe.

Superman grimaces.

THE END.

If the end of Man of Steel had been different and had Zod win you nailed it, Pete. That was kind of the point of the movie, right? To establish a god walking among us and the power he wields juxtaposed with a zealot with no regard for anyone but his own people. I don't get all the arguments that Kal-El had no regard for human life considering he stood against his fellow Kryptonians in defense of the ants he could easily crush under heel.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.325 seconds