October 09, 2023
2460 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2661 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk abut Movies & TV here. Just tell us what you have been watching. Have hyper-academic discussions on visual semiotics. Whatever, it's all good.

The 100

More
19 Apr 2015 12:08 #201052 by Chapel
The 100 was created by Chapel
If you aren't watching the CW's The 100, you should be. The first season was pretty decent, but the 2nd season, OMG, is bad ass.

It's like they took a session of our early 90's game of Morrow Project and made a TV show about it,

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 Apr 2015 21:07 #201065 by stoic
Replied by stoic on topic The 100
The 100 includes a completely unbelievable Matriarchal society in one of the factions, I believe the "Grounders," which is based upon the supposed physical dominance in hand-to-hand and blade based combat where we're to believe that lanky and thin teenage females are actually able to defeat goliath pro-wrestling mad max type men in physical combat in their tribe.…I just couldn't get past that.

More
19 Apr 2015 21:26 #201067 by Chapel
Replied by Chapel on topic The 100

stoic wrote: The 100 includes a completely unbelievable Matriarchal society in one of the factions, I believe the "Grounders," which is based upon the supposed physical dominance in hand-to-hand and blade based combat where we're to believe that lanky and thin teenage females are actually able to defeat goliath pro-wrestling mad max type men in physical combat in their tribe.…I just couldn't get past that.

Actually, though being a little spoilerish, we find out that the leader of the clan it selected in sort of a "dali lama" spiritual kind of way.

More
19 Apr 2015 22:38 #201070 by OldHippy
Replied by OldHippy on topic The 100
I'm on the second season of the 100 right now... it' seems like mediocre sci-fi but is strangely enjoyable anyway. I had problems with the plethora of sexy people who have their make up done up perfectly all the time but that is in every fucking show so it's not even an insult anymore. I actually enjoyed the first season a lot, the sense of discovery was well done.

The central conceit of the show is something I haven't seen on TV before, the actors are mostly decent and the world is pretty cool. I've certainly become somewhat addicted to the show despite it's flaws (everyone has too much make up, the science occasionally seems pretty suspect, the soap opera elements).

I guess I agree with you, fun show for the most part.

More
20 Apr 2015 08:46 #201079 by edulis
Replied by edulis on topic The 100
My wife and I watched the first season and much of the second. I do not think we(late 30s) are the target audience. The overbearing (way too skinny) mother, the powerful teenage females, the love-triangles, that change ever few episodes. The melodrama and then lack of emotion elsewhere. Like when Clark's best friend is killed and she has zero reaction. They seem to want the characters to be grey, but they tend to just bounce back and forth between good and bad. One episode Finn refuses to use a gun the next he is slaughtering innocents villagers. (what? Oh right because he loves Clark)

Oh and the scene where the mom fills up her canteen in a mud puddle when there is a raging river right next them. Plus the whole show seems like climax. There is no big build up just constant drama.

Anyway, watching the show brokedown to just making fun of it. Maybe if I was a teenage girl it would be awesome.

More
20 Apr 2015 09:39 #201089 by Columbob
Replied by Columbob on topic The 100

stoic wrote: The 100 includes a completely unbelievable Matriarchal society in one of the factions, I believe the "Grounders," which is based upon the supposed physical dominance in hand-to-hand and blade based combat where we're to believe that lanky and thin teenage females are actually able to defeat goliath pro-wrestling mad max type men in physical combat in their tribe.…I just couldn't get past that.

You just listed two of the original Necromunda gang archetypes, so nothing new there. Amazons have been a trope since...mythological times.

More
20 Apr 2015 10:25 - 20 Apr 2015 10:26 #201092 by stoic
Replied by stoic on topic The 100

Columbob wrote:

You just listed two of the original Necromunda gang archetypes, so nothing new there. Amazons have been a trope since...mythological times.

LOL, these aren't Amazons though. I'm cool with that. And, I'm good with the theme overall. For example, they pull it off in Mad Max 2: The Road Warrior with Virginia Hey. They just don't make it believable in The 100. Watch the show and you'll see what I'm talking about because it's so funny. They create an odd juxtaposition: tiny teenage models surrounded by Pro-wrestler warriors who obey because they can supposedly kick their ass in hand-to-hand combat. I won't offer spoilers, but, you'll see for yourself when you watch the show. It's quite hilarious and it falls into the category that "it's so bad that it's good." It just stretches the bounds of credulity.

But, as another poster pointed out, I do think "tweens" are the target audience for The 100. The 100 reminded me of that movie Divergent where they ask viewers to believe that sensitive coming-of-age teenage girls compete in a military faction where brutal hand-to-hand survival of the fittest Darwinian competition occurs with men.

I've known some very tough women who could do this, but, the actresses being used in The 100 just aren't credible. To pull this off they needed to cast tough chicks: for example, like Pvt. Vazquez/actress Jenette Goldstein from Aliens, or, actress Michelle Rodriguez from Resident Evil. Instead, they cast tiny teenage stick models. I suppose that's my point. The 100 needs better casting, but, they're targeting this show to "tweens" who I suppose identify with the actresses being used. I'm not the target audience to be sure!
Last edit: 20 Apr 2015 10:26 by stoic.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Columbob

More
20 Apr 2015 13:50 #201120 by ChristopherMD
Replied by ChristopherMD on topic The 100
I've seen both seasons and generally liked them. It is just typical YA novel-based stuff like Hunger Games, Divergent, Maze Runner, etc. The characters switch between being good or bad depending on which will cause the most drama. Although I think Octavia has been pretty consistent and has the best story going.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.160 seconds