October 09, 2023
2455 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2657 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk abut Movies & TV here. Just tell us what you have been watching. Have hyper-academic discussions on visual semiotics. Whatever, it's all good.

Alien, Aliens, Alien3, Alien Resurrection, Etc

More
16 Jul 2015 20:55 #206399 by ChristopherMD

Michael Barnes wrote: I had seen Terminator like 20 times, it was the very first VHS cassette I ever watched. (Second was Nightmare on Elm Street, incidentally).

Nightmare on Elm Street was the first VHS cassette I ever watched. Around the same age (10-12) Logan's Run became the first laserdisc I ever watched. LR is still one of my favorite movies.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 Jul 2015 22:19 #206405 by SebastianBludd

Michael Barnes wrote: Then there was the Aliens game, that started with this incredibly hard level where you had to pilot the dropship down ("five by five") through these navigation rings. Then there these on-foot levels where you wandered around with very little ammo, shooting aliens and looking for survivors. Then a kind of proto-lane defense thing. Then Ripley gets caught and you have to find her. Finally, the Power Loader sequence- grab the queen and throw her out. I might have to see about an emulator trip down memory lane.

I never played that game back in the day so I was content to watch a playthrough of it on Youtube about a year ago and it looked surprisingly decent for a C-64 movie tie-in game.

I'm going to get the Blu-Ray set just for the fact that yesterday I read that the Aliens Blu-Ray has a deleted scene where Ripley talks to a cocooned Burke(!) on her way down to rescue Newt.

More
17 Jul 2015 04:54 #206416 by Turek

Michael Barnes wrote: You know what I was thinking about yesterday? The OLD Alien/Aliens video games on Commodore 64...there was one Alien game I had from "Load n' Go Software" that was, in retrospect, kind of like Awful Green Things. It was really very boardgamey, you moved the crew members around the ship, collected gear, dealt with their morale...I remember it had this AMAZING music. Then there was the Aliens game, that started with this incredibly hard level where you had to pilot the dropship down ("five by five") through these navigation rings. Then there these on-foot levels where you wandered around with very little ammo, shooting aliens and looking for survivors. Then a kind of proto-lane defense thing. Then Ripley gets caught and you have to find her. Finally, the Power Loader sequence- grab the queen and throw her out. I might have to see about an emulator trip down memory lane.

These are my favourite 8-bit games :)
www.lemon64.com/?mainurl=http%3A//www.le...etails.php%3FID%3D81
www.lemon64.com/?mainurl=http%3A//www.le...etails.php%3FID%3D87
Level where you had to guide marines to APC was super scary and tense.
And in both games tunes are very good.
The following user(s) said Thank You: SebastianBludd

More
17 Jul 2015 10:58 #206432 by SebastianBludd

Turek wrote: www.lemon64.com/?mainurl=http%3A//www.le...etails.php%3FID%3D81
www.lemon64.com/?mainurl=http%3A//www.le...etails.php%3FID%3D87
Level where you had to guide marines to APC was super scary and tense.
And in both games tunes are very good.

Holy shit I didn't even know about that Alien game, that looks awesome! Which C-64 emulator do you guys prefer? I'm considering WinVICE but the Sourceforge website is down right now.

More
17 Jul 2015 13:39 - 17 Jul 2015 13:41 #206443 by scissors
m.youtube.com/

Barney, they have a bunch of scenes at Harrenhal where she serves as his cupbearer and he of course doesn't know she's a Stark but also figures out she is hiding something. Really liked those scenes.
Last edit: 17 Jul 2015 13:41 by scissors.

More
17 Jul 2015 13:51 - 17 Jul 2015 14:07 #206447 by Black Barney

SebastianBludd wrote:
I'm going to get the Blu-Ray set just for the fact that yesterday I read that the Aliens Blu-Ray has a deleted scene where Ripley talks to a cocooned Burke(!) on her way down to rescue Newt.

AHHHH! What?! A new scene I've never seen from one of my favourite flicks?! What do they talk about? Man, I wonder if I can find a clip of this online...

..oh wait, it's TERRIBLE

Hey I rewatched the deleted scene of Alien where she finds Dallas. That scene makes like no sense cuz there are two full sized eggs in that room. That thing can't lay eggs that big.

Scissors, yeah those scenes are great. I like that Tywin can tell that she's educated and only pretending to not be.

Lowborn girls say "m'lord", not "my lord". If you're going to pose as a commoner, you should do it properly.

this exchange was my favourite I think:

Arya Stark: Visenya Targaryen was a great warrior. She had a Valyrian steel sword she called "Dark Sister."
Tywin Lannister: Hm. She's a heroine of yours, I take it. Aren't most girls more interested in the pretty maidens from the songs? Jonquil, with flowers in her hair?
Arya Stark: Most girls are idiots.
Tywin Lannister: [laughs] You remind me of my daughter. Where did you learn all this stuff about Visenya and her Valyrian steel sword?
Arya Stark: From my father.
Tywin Lannister: [gives Arya a searching look] He was a well-read stonemason? Can't say I've ever met a literate stonemason.
Arya Stark: Have you met many stonemasons, my lord?
Last edit: 17 Jul 2015 14:07 by Black Barney.

More
17 Jul 2015 17:37 - 17 Jul 2015 17:38 #206473 by SebastianBludd

Black Barney wrote: ..oh wait, it's TERRIBLE

LOL, it's not that bad! I think I'm going to edit that scene in just to mess with my son.

Black Barney wrote: Hey I rewatched the deleted scene of Alien where she finds Dallas. That scene makes like no sense cuz there are two full sized eggs in that room. That thing can't lay eggs that big.

I don't think it laid the eggs, I think its mucus created the eggs. Some would say this scene is incompatible with the life cycle in Aliens, but I would counter that it's simply an alternative procreation method the xenomorph uses until a new queen can be produced.
Last edit: 17 Jul 2015 17:38 by SebastianBludd.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

More
17 Jul 2015 18:39 #206474 by Black Barney
Dammit lost my post.

There's some literature in the alien expanded universe that said that warriors could make smaller eggs, different shape, when they haven't had exposure to royal jelly in a while. Which is queen mucus. These eggs spawn queens much more often

More
17 Jul 2015 20:22 - 17 Jul 2015 20:24 #206480 by Black Barney
Grrrr, that burke scene bugs me more and more. The alien that attacked him did the same thing as the one that attacked Ferro. When that inner jaw comes out, they're going for the kill, not capture. Ferro got turned into hamburger helper and Burke is totally unharmed?

NO

Good editor that caught that.

Also that would have killed the momentum of her trying to find Newt before its too late. She's not going to give that dude the time of day. It's funny that she gives a massive grenade to someone she doesn't trust. The same type of grenade that got Newt into this mess in the first place. Of course Ripley couldn't have known that.

Anyway AWFUL scene :)
Last edit: 17 Jul 2015 20:24 by Black Barney.

More
17 Jul 2015 20:32 #206482 by Ken B.
The C64 Aliens game was awesome. Used to play it all the time back in the day until literally the grindy copy protection on the disk finally caused it to stop working.

Those of you that didn't go through that shit don't know how good you have it. You pop the disk in and hear...

"GRRRK! GRIIKK GROOOK WHIIRRRRRRRRRRR GRRRROOOOOK GRRRRRRK GRRRRRRK GRIIIIIK GROK GRIK WHIRRRRR GRRRRRRRK....GRRK GRRK...."
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChristopherMD, Black Barney

More
17 Jul 2015 21:10 #206487 by ChristopherMD
I own Alien and Aliens on blu-ray and probably watch them once a year. I just pretend the later movies don't exist so I can have something resembling a happy ending. Honestly while I've never been a fan of Alien3 I've never hated it as much as others seem to. My main beef with it is I don't like the ending where Ripley's worst nightmare comes true then she dies. I prefer she gets to live with a replacement daughter and have other survivors to back up her story.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

More
18 Jul 2015 09:05 #206500 by Black Barney

Ken B. wrote: The C64 Aliens game was awesome. Used to play it all the time back in the day until literally the grindy copy protection on the disk finally caused it to stop working.

Those of you that didn't go through that shit don't know how good you have it. You pop the disk in and hear...

"GRRRK! GRIIKK GROOOK WHIIRRRRRRRRRRR GRRRROOOOOK GRRRRRRK GRRRRRRK GRIIIIIK GROK GRIK WHIRRRRR GRRRRRRRK....GRRK GRRK...."

those of you that had disk drives don't know how good you had it. Before that you had to pop in an audio cassette, press pLAY, and then frantically type "LOAD GAME" before the tape goes past the place where your game is saved. Those VIC-20 days were brutal.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.201 seconds