October 09, 2023
2485 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2687 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk abut Movies & TV here. Just tell us what you have been watching. Have hyper-academic discussions on visual semiotics. Whatever, it's all good.

What movie would you dearly love to see remade?

More
09 Jul 2015 14:53 - 09 Jul 2015 15:40 #205871 by boothwah
What Sci-Fi / Fantasy movie would you like to see the premise/setting remade with current tech?

/and I don't mean a reboot ala Marvel and Dc
//Please don't turn this into a rant about Hollywood or Michael Bay destroying your childhood
///Third obligatory placeholder slashie
Last edit: 09 Jul 2015 15:40 by boothwah. Reason: Grammar Pride Parade
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 Jul 2015 15:21 #205872 by Black Barney
The grammar in this thread title makes my eyes hurt.

I think we're about due for a Spiderman reboot.

I'm sure five years ago someone would have said Clash of the Titans, i'd be embarassed to have been that person. btw, five years ago, I would have said Tron.

Can you imagine if they remake Logan's Run? It would be so stupid. It would be like remaking Wizard of Oz. You just can't. I'm honestly really worried that they will remake Wizard of Oz one day. It'll be brutal. Might as well put Taylor Swift as one of the good witches and get it over with.

Ok, so for sure in the fantasy realm, I don't think anything should be remade. There's a certain amount of magic to the Jim Hensen era where stuff like Dark Crystal, Labyrinth was getting made. I would hate to see these redone. Obviously someone is going to remake Princess Bride at some point. Yuck.

//actually Time Bandits would be great to see a remake. I guess Peter Dinklage has to be in it. Can we put Jean de Lancie as the bad guy?
///hmmm...maybe a live-action version of Secret of Nimh because of current technology capabilities?

For sci-fi, there are some things screaming for a remake. Last Starfighter, Battle Beyond the Stars (gets my vote),

We know Blade Runner is about to get a reboot so that's that. I wonder if they can make the soundtrack even worse. I recommend Kenny G for the ultimate cyber punk experience.

I'm sure some dick is going to remake 2001 at some point. Also, it's been at least 3 months since the last Body Snatchers remake so we're due for that now.

Anyway, I think I'm skirting around what many people here are likely thinking.

DUNE.
The following user(s) said Thank You: boothwah

More
09 Jul 2015 15:29 #205873 by charlest
Would love to see an Enemy Mine remake with Matthew McConnaughey as Willis and either Michael Shannon or Lennie James as Jerry.
The following user(s) said Thank You: boothwah

More
09 Jul 2015 15:41 #205876 by jpat
I know I'm cheating, but this has been on my mind: I would really like an updated version of the BBC 70s/80s series Blake's 7. In many ways, it was in sympathy with current arc-based series and is a fairly obvious forerunner to a show like Farscape, but, while generally well acted (and it would be difficult to recast), the show still suffered not only from the legendarily bad BBC effects budgets but also from gross lapses in continuity, the strains of trying to be both arc-based and episodic, a loss of focus as cast members changed, and, narratively, a real lack of sense of place, time, and space, since you never get any real sense of there being a Federation (apart from people at the top) or, more noticeably, a rebellion against it apart from the few cast members and extras the BBC could afford to hire.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChristopherMD

More
09 Jul 2015 15:45 #205878 by Michael Barnes
I think we're about due for a Spiderman reboot.

Just as long as they spend at least 90 minutes of the first movie explaining how Peter Parker was a normal kid that becomes Spider-Man, uncle Ben dies and he learns that with great power comes great responsibility. I can never remember all of that, it's all so confusing.

Enemy Mine? Huh...that would be a great candidate for a remake, actually...because it's one of those movies that maybe didn't quite hit the mark but it had something there of exceptional value. And with two really good actors in the lead, that could be interesting. Duncan Jones to direct?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
09 Jul 2015 15:51 #205879 by Shellhead
I've been struggling to think of any remakes that I've actually enjoyed, and I came up with just one: The Thing. So it seems possible that there are other classic horror movies that might be improved with modern practical effects or even CGI. But not too much CGI. The remake of The Haunting was definitely hurt by a heavy reliance on CGI.

More
09 Jul 2015 15:52 #205880 by boothwah

Last Starfighter - Battle Beyond the Stars

LS came to mind - Death Blossom! Live action Battle could be amazing.

So last night I watched Jupiter Ascending, and at one point I was thinking - "This is pretty to look at, I wonder if they remade Dune, would it be this pretty and this bad?"

I really dug Maleficent - I'd like to see that kind of style in a non animated take on the Black Cauldron
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

More
09 Jul 2015 15:54 - 09 Jul 2015 15:55 #205881 by Black Barney
Did you see that Marrisa Tomei is cast as Aunt Mae? I hope she strips in this one.

Enemy Mine remake should be directed by M. Night Shymananalan and star Will Smith and Jaden Smith. It can't miss.

Shellhead, why didn't they use some CGI to fix Owen Wilson's nose....and performance? They had the budget.
Last edit: 09 Jul 2015 15:55 by Black Barney.

More
09 Jul 2015 15:59 #205882 by ChristopherMD

Shellhead wrote: I've been struggling to think of any remakes that I've actually enjoyed, and I came up with just one: The Thing. So it seems possible that there are other classic horror movies that might be improved with modern practical effects or even CGI. But not too much CGI. The remake of The Haunting was definitely hurt by a heavy reliance on CGI.

Is Carpenter's The Thing actually a remake of the 1951 movie? I thought it was just based on the same story.

More
09 Jul 2015 16:08 #205884 by Shellhead

Mad Dog wrote:

Shellhead wrote: I've been struggling to think of any remakes that I've actually enjoyed, and I came up with just one: The Thing. So it seems possible that there are other classic horror movies that might be improved with modern practical effects or even CGI. But not too much CGI. The remake of The Haunting was definitely hurt by a heavy reliance on CGI.

Is Carpenter's The Thing actually a remake of the 1951 movie? I thought it was just based on the same story.

You are correct, The Thing is based on the same story and not a direct remake of the '51 movie.

More
09 Jul 2015 16:15 - 09 Jul 2015 16:16 #205885 by SebastianBludd

Mad Dog wrote: Is Carpenter's The Thing actually a remake of the 1951 movie? I thought it was just based on the same story.

You are correct. You might even say it was a.... reboot. In the same vein, I'd like to see a remake of yet another adaptation of Joseph W. Cambell's, "Who Goes There?": Horror Express. In this adaptation it's a frozen alien humanoid in an upright case/coffin on a Siberian train that feeds on peoples' minds and has psychic powers. I like it well enough, but I'd like to see it taken the direction of Carpenter's The Thing. You could do some cool things with the closed environment of the train where the creature wakes up and starts mind-controlling people to help it as it builds and extends a slimy, organic nest throughout the cars.

I'd also like to see a really well-done invisible monster movie, perhaps a remake of Night of the Demon or The Dunwich Horror.

A remake of THX-1138 might work if you could keep the sterile 70's vibe, and someone might as well remake Krull because, while it had a few neat ideas, it was never that good to begin with.
Last edit: 09 Jul 2015 16:16 by SebastianBludd.

More
09 Jul 2015 16:20 #205888 by Sagrilarus
Buckaroo Banzai
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cranberries, boothwah

More
09 Jul 2015 16:28 #205889 by Erik Twice
I, Robot. It's one of my favourite films, but the CGI is dated and could be easily improved.

More
09 Jul 2015 16:33 #205890 by Shellhead

Sagrilarus wrote: Buckaroo Banzai

Any remake of Buckaroo Banzai would almost automatically be an improvement. When I saw it in the theater, I dozed off after about 20 minutes and woke up during the closing credits. My friends sort of liked it, so I always meant to watch it again some day. A couple of months ago, I finally saw Buckaroo Banzai, and god it sucked. Bad story, bad dialogue, bad pacing, bad action, bad effects, really bad music in the closing credits. Some decent actors in the cast, but the movie just really sucks. Cult classic? No, just a bad movie.

More
09 Jul 2015 16:35 #205891 by Josh Look

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.170 seconds