October 09, 2023
2289 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2505 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk abut Movies & TV here. Just tell us what you have been watching. Have hyper-academic discussions on visual semiotics. Whatever, it's all good.

What movie would you dearly love to see remade?

More
11 Jul 2015 11:49 #206004 by Black Barney
There's some sci-fi Mad Max-like movie I saw as a kid which had some guy forced to partake in some game where he has to cross this obstacle course and below these greased rods was this pit of acid, one or two of the dudes fell in to the delight of the crowd. I can't remember what movie that was but MetalStorm was very nuts about acid, I remember being scared of that guy with the metal arm cuz i THINK he like melts a guy's face at some point.

Oh man, if a Chopping Mall remake happened and in one of the first scenes of the robots getting out of control, it kills Paul Blart, that would be the best movie ever.

I was obsessed with the box art of the chopping mall VHS box and picked it up every time in the video store cuz the robots on the back looked so cool. Based on the box alone, I think I had a few nightmares where I was hiding in a mattress store from those damn robots, not even knowing what they do. I assumed they had chainsaws and stuff when I was a kid.

I LOVED Outland as a kid. Watched it a ton of times. Love that old woman ally of his. I think Outland was the first sci-fi movie where I started to understand decompression. That dude in the elevator, yikes. What a cool High Noon-like role for Connery.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Motorik

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Jul 2015 21:56 #206025 by Shellhead
I liked Outland, too. Saw it a few times over the years. The only disappointing part was the ridiculous fx for the explosive decompression scene.

More
07 Aug 2015 16:48 #208132 by Josh Look
The news about the Dungeons & Dragons movie rights getting sorted out is getting more attention than it probably deserves, but I've been thinking about how rebooting it could successfully be done. A serious approach to the Forgotten Realms seems too obvious, plus the setting is so generic that I think the outsider's perspective gives little difference between it and Middle-Earth. I think I've got a pretty good idea and I now dearly wish this movie existed.

You go back to the cartoon. Or the characters from the cartoon, that is. Set it in the 80s and play it like an 80s kids adventure movie, like Goonies, Monster Squad, or more appropriate given the "throwback" treatment, Super 8. The kids are all kind of friends, Presto (who'd have to have another name, Presto is his nickname) has been trying to get everyone to try D&D, they think it's a bunch of nerd junk. Either have them all begrudgingly try it OR do that silly carnival ride thing, but they all get transported to the world of D&D. They encounter Dungeon Master, Venger, Tiamat, Beholders, hell, even that bit from the show where they meet Lloth the Spider Queen would be awesome. We could do without Uni, I feel like it would feel like that awkward appearance of Yoshi in the Super Mario movie. Bottom line is that you keep that feeling of 80s movies about kids going on an adventure with that natural way that kids acted and spoke intact, pairing it with that great "anything can happen at any second" theme of the show. I just feel like there's a nostalgic value of D&D for alot of folks that will go completely ignore in a movie adaptation and focusing it on kids is one way to incorporate that. So why not use the ones from the cartoon?

Side note, I actually never watched the cartoon growing up and hadn't seen until a few years ago. It's still really damned good (minus Uni, but that's the case with any 80s cartoon mascot character, really). No nostalgia attached and I still really enjoy it? I'd call that a good sign.
The following user(s) said Thank You: boothwah, Tim Champlin

More
07 Aug 2015 17:04 - 07 Aug 2015 17:06 #208134 by Space Ghost
As long as Warduke makes the cut, that sounds like a great idea.
Last edit: 07 Aug 2015 17:06 by Space Ghost.

More
08 Aug 2015 13:28 #208156 by Cranberries
I'm too lazy to read the entire thread, but I'd like to see a really good version of Dune.

vimeo.com/54644338

That's a fan remix/re-edit. I downloaded it using a Firefox plugin.

More
09 Aug 2015 17:29 #208192 by jason10mm
Goddamn, 4 pages and no mention of Flash Gordon? While I love the 80's version that world is ripe for the sort of high dollar marvel treatment Hollywood likes to do. Alas, the bombing of stuff like Lone Ranger and John Carter probably turn off studios from plumbing the depths of pulp fiction.

Yet they greenlight shit like Pixels.....
The following user(s) said Thank You: Msample, MacDirk Diggler

More
10 Aug 2015 15:39 - 10 Aug 2015 15:41 #208231 by Mr. White
I like Josh's idea of doing the film up 80s style and using the kids from the cartoon.

However, I'd guess that any major studio throwing bucks at this aren't going to just want to depend on nostalgia, plus they're probably hoping for at least a trilogy if not a franchise. Playing it up 80's seems to say the game is dated and the setting has no future. I dunno. Again, _I_ like the idea, but not sure studios (or WotC) want the film to be only backwards looking.

The thing is, I'm not sure how you really could do a D&D movie, without it being about folks getting transported from the table to the world. I mean, D&D isn't a story like Lord of the Rings or Harry Potter, but a game about making stories. Sure, they could do the Dragonlance Saga or the Icewind Dale Trilogy, but there those are stories from novels proper like LotR and not about the game D&D.

Maybe the hope is that having the D&D license isn't valued for D&D itself, but for Dragonlance, Icewind Dale, Drizzt, etc. All of these fantasy novels would be ripe for filming.
Last edit: 10 Aug 2015 15:41 by Mr. White.

More
10 Aug 2015 15:59 #208233 by ChristopherMD
They'd be crazy not to do the Dark Elf series if at all possible. There is a huge fanbase that's been growing for decades and comparisons of Realms to Middle Earth only work in their favor.

More
10 Aug 2015 16:07 #208234 by Mr. White
I agree.

Those things are routinely best-sellers. I'm not a fan, but I've known tons of folks over the years that read those but don't play D&D.

I don't think D&D is the draw.

However, when I read an article on the D&D rights being settled, there was some quote as to (paraphrasing) 'bringing the world of D&D to audiences'. huh? What world? Again, D&D isn't a world, much less a story. The story of D&D is the story of d20s, mountain dews, weekend nights indoors and stained character sheets. I don't think that's what studio execs have in mind though.

If I just won the rights, I'd probably omit D&D entirely from the title and produce 'The Dark Elf Trilogy' or 'The Dragonlance Saga' each treated like adapting any other novel.

More
10 Aug 2015 16:43 #208235 by Feelitmon
I agree that there is no real "D&D story" to adapt for the screen. How about an anthology movie though, something like the Twilight Zone movie or Creepshow?

The framing device might have a mysterious figure introducing us to the concept of a vast and varied multiverse; perhaps have him in a room with many portals showing different terrain and scenes. He says something along the lines of, "Ah, what have we here? A dark elf, and his story is one of my favorites" as the camera moves toward the portal. Each individual story in the movie might last 20-30 minutes. This would allow you to have taut, concise stories told in settings as diverse as Dark Sun, Eberron, and the Forgotten Realms. Definitely one of the stories would have to follow an already topside Drizz't, and in any sequels you could continue to tell his story and backstory a segment at a time.

I don't know, do you think that such anthologies are passe at this point?

More
11 Aug 2015 15:53 - 11 Aug 2015 15:54 #208315 by Columbob
See, they have the rights to make D&D movies, but do they have the rights to FR, Dragonlance, etc.? That's a completely different matter. The rights to series of novels are again something else entirely.
Last edit: 11 Aug 2015 15:54 by Columbob.

More
14 Aug 2015 01:57 #208494 by Space Ghost
They will probably let a Wayans fuck it up.

More
14 Aug 2015 10:10 #208507 by Columbob
I found this opinion piece through the Tor.com newsletter which echoes somewhat Mr. White's thoughts. It's a couple years old already, I guess they dug it up because D&D movie's getting some attention these days.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.180 seconds