October 09, 2023
2290 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2506 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk abut Movies & TV here. Just tell us what you have been watching. Have hyper-academic discussions on visual semiotics. Whatever, it's all good.

Ant Man

More
20 Jul 2015 15:47 #206606 by The*Mad*Gamer
Ant Man was created by The*Mad*Gamer

I saw Ant man this past weekend and was pleasantly surprised. I thought it was better than the latest installment of Avengers. Michael Douglas does a great job as Pym. It was good to see solid acting and not a total reliance on CGI. Great movie! Highly recommended!
The following user(s) said Thank You: mikecl

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Jul 2015 16:01 #206607 by Black Barney
Replied by Black Barney on topic Ant Man
I'm sure it's better than Age of Ultron. Some guy said it's at least as good as Guardians of the Galaxy but I think that's a guy who is mistaking infatuation for love. There's no way this is on par with Guardians.

I'm gonna skip it.

More
20 Jul 2015 16:43 #206609 by jpat
Replied by jpat on topic Ant Man
I would've skipped it but for my kids wanting to go (we did this as a double feature with Minions), and my wife would've skipped it had it not been for Paul Rudd.

Apart from Paul Rudd's performance, which was pretty good with not a ton to work with, Ant-Man is nearly conclusive proof that if you just put the right pieces together in the right order, you'll come out with at least a decent Marvel movie. There are some neat, unique elements in the third act, but the buildup is very slow and travels over well-trod ground. Michael Douglas is -- well, to say he was disappointing would be to say that I ever really had any expectation for him in any film anywhere. It really does feel like this one was in the development hell that it was always said to have been in. It feels like it finally got enough rewrites to hold off from being a real turd, but it's definitely in the lower tier of Marvel Studios movies, down with (and maybe a notch below) the Thor movies.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
20 Jul 2015 17:08 #206613 by Hex Sinister
Replied by Hex Sinister on topic Ant Man
Huh, I'm with Weeks. I thought it was great.

Black Barney wrote: Some guy said it's at least as good as Guardians of the Galaxy but I think that's a guy who is mistaking infatuation for love. There's no way this is on par with Guardians.

Some guy? You talkin' bout me? =(

Also, aren't you the one that said Fury Road was gonna be for dumb people and then went and saw it 17 times /tease
The following user(s) said Thank You: 433, Black Barney

More
20 Jul 2015 17:39 #206616 by Black Barney
Replied by Black Barney on topic Ant Man
lol

yeah, i was pokin' fun at ya. I watch that trailer and I can't even imagine how this comes close to Guardians.

Did I really say that aboot Fury Road?! I thought that was only John Carter. I wouldn't be surprised if I said it though, the trailer wasn't good at all.

man did I love that movie. I might actually see it a 6th time. I'm mad I only saw it once in three dee

More
20 Jul 2015 17:55 #206618 by Hex Sinister
I don't know, your tastes remain enigmatic to me. I want to say that you would really like Ant Man though. I don't know.

I think this was one of the more "difficult" characters to tackle and I think they did a great treatment of it. It was light, fun, and humorous. And the battles were classic. The audience got into it too. Sure, it was the usual origins story but it has a lot of charm. I suppose a lot depends on whether one likes Paul Rudd or not. I would say more but spoiler alert...

FEEL GOOD MOVIE OF THE SUMM0R!!!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

More
20 Jul 2015 20:02 - 21 Jul 2015 07:27 #206625 by Jackwraith
Replied by Jackwraith on topic Ant Man
I think Ant-Man kind of defines what sets Marvel characters apart from DC: they're real people. From the sound of it, they played up this side of the character and let it carry the movie. True? I think Ruud was an inspired casting choice in that respect, because he's Mr. Sympathetic Everyman in most of the Apatow films and Scott Lang always was that in the comics, even though he was a professional thief. Even the few characters who started out as crooks in DC's stable turn right into HEROIC CRUSAAAAAADERRRRS! as soon as they put on the costume, whereas Ant-Man, having kind of a humble power to begin with (he gets small and talks to bugs....) stays the Everyman that people can relate to. I hope they kept that for the film. Rumor had it that a lot of the rewrites were trying to reinject that after most of it had been written out in favor of cool insect effects.

The latter is, in my opinion, the great failing of Guardians. Yes, it's fun. Yes, it's occasionally funny. But mostly it's a shell of a story laid on characters that are archetypes (like DC!) and with pretty poor-to-average dialogue and a ton of flashing lights. They took decent actors like Zoe Saldana and made them look like they couldn't act their way out of a paper bag. Almost none of the characters were interesting on a human level except for the CGI raccoon. To me, there just wasn't anything there to really get excited about, even for comics nerds (of which I remain one even if the closest I've come to superhero books for 20 years is Astro City.) But I'm in a distinct minority, so...
Last edit: 21 Jul 2015 07:27 by Jackwraith.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Hex Sinister, Gregarius

More
20 Jul 2015 20:57 #206628 by boothwah
Replied by boothwah on topic Ant Man
Loved it. More than Guardians, even, I am going to have to do a side by side rewatch with Avengers in 6 months to figure out where it fits in my Marvel pantheon. Definitely top 3 though.

More
21 Jul 2015 03:11 #206645 by Hex Sinister

Jackwraith wrote: I think Ant-Man kind of defines what sets Marvel characters apart from DC: they're real people. From the sound of it, they played up this side of the character and let it carry the movie. True?

Yeah pretty much so. Well, except for the expert safe cracker and surveillance expert bit. It's comic books so you can roll with that. But yeah, he's humble and relate-able like you suggest. One really cool scene in particular highlights this but dammit spoiler alert!

The story isn't going to come as some brilliant surprise or anything. I mean you know who the "boss" is going to be from the first 3 minutes. But I think that's fine for a not-so-serious caper flick like this. And nerds aren't going to pull their hair out dissecting character motivations, accuracy of pseudo-science, and powers etc - it's just not that kind of movie. (I could be wrong about that). I enjoyed the ride and thought it was pretty refreshing. Maybe in the same way Iron Man #1 was, somehow.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jackwraith

More
21 Jul 2015 10:37 #206656 by 433
Replied by 433 on topic Ant Man
Loved it. It was fun and unencumbered by trying to advance a larger story -- much like GOTG or the first Iron Man.

You could totally see Edgar Wright's fingerprints all over it, and Michael Peña was hilarious.

More
21 Jul 2015 11:12 #206662 by Gregarius
Replied by Gregarius on topic Ant Man
I liked it quite a bit.
Pros:
Humor, special effects, casting.
Cons:
Forgettable plot, shoe-horned Avengers references.

I appreciated the lightness of it most of all. The most disappointing aspect was that you could clearly see which parts were written by Edgar Wright, and it made me pine for the whole movie as he would have directed it.

More
21 Jul 2015 11:15 #206663 by RobertB
Replied by RobertB on topic Ant Man
My daughter saw it Friday, and insisted that we see it. I thought it was alright, but not great. Just middle-of-the-pack all around. That's not a bad thing, but Ant-Man isn't going to bump GotG or Winter Soldier off my list.

More
22 Jul 2015 14:24 #206735 by mikecl
Replied by mikecl on topic Ant Man
I haven't seen it yet, but I remember loving the comics. I always read Marvel as a kid and comics like Ant Man were one of the reasons. The inside humour and the quirky and lovable characters just put them in a different league than DC.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.301 seconds