October 09, 2023
2488 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2688 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk abut Movies & TV here. Just tell us what you have been watching. Have hyper-academic discussions on visual semiotics. Whatever, it's all good.

Your Top Marvel Films

More
21 Jul 2015 20:11 #206696 by boothwah
Replied by boothwah on topic Your Top Marvel Films
1, Avengers
2. Antman
3. Guardians of the Galaxy
4. Iron man
5. Winter Soldier
6. X2
7. Amazing Spider-Man
8. Iron Man 3
9. Incredible Hulk (mostly because I dug Norton's Banner)
10. Spider-Man 2 (not amazing 2)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Jul 2015 20:31 #206698 by Michael Barnes
Ugh, Amazing Spider-Man and its sequel...those were really bad. I think the second one is practically unwatchable. There is nothing of value in that movie.

Both FF movies weren't really any better than Corman's. More expensive, but not better.

WHAT ABOUT FUKKEN GHOST RIDER

More
21 Jul 2015 21:53 #206701 by Gary Sax
Replied by Gary Sax on topic Your Top Marvel Films
I'd go:

1) Guardians
2) Iron Man
3) Blade
Runner up: X-men 2

More
22 Jul 2015 02:01 - 22 Jul 2015 10:03 #206705 by Mr. White
Replied by Mr. White on topic Your Top Marvel Films
There are several comments in this thread about the Raimi Spider-Man films that are along the lines of "good for its time"..."hasn't aged well"...that sort of thing.

I don't get it. Can y'all enlighten me.

Is it the CGI? The plots? The fact that it's older than 5 years? Or the bigger crime..not actually part of the MCU? What gives? Have _better_ Spider-Man movies come along that I missed out on? Is Donner's Superman movie no good either? What?!

This is gonna sound weird, but for some reason I feel like the first Spider-Man movie is the only recent Marvel movie that has a timeless Hollywood feel. Maybe it's because of that upside-down kiss scene, but there's just something old school about it. I dunno...maybe like Supes flying Lois Lane around. I think Raimi got those first two films right though. The third...while not the best, I like it better then several others. It's not terrible to me and I wished the studio left Raimi alone and didn't force him to include Venom.

Regarding the MCU...part of the reason I think I liked DD so much is that it _wasn't_ really tied in. The MCU is like a big, exhaustive summer cross over event, except it seems to lasts forever...and impacts every film. I'd be down for some Marvel superhero flicks _not_ keyed into the Avengers and such. It's a big world out there.

Maybe I should go watch fukken Ghost Rider...
Last edit: 22 Jul 2015 10:03 by Mr. White.

More
22 Jul 2015 09:01 #206707 by Black Barney
Replied by Black Barney on topic Your Top Marvel Films
Yeah, those films get a lot of hate. The 3rd one I think we can agree really isn't very good.

The 2nd one I think is really strong. The relationship with snaggletooth is actually really good and we don't get nailed with any origin story this time. Plus,. the villain was a total blast. I thought it was great.

The 1st one gets a lot of love and I'm not sure why. I really hate the villain (i like the actor though). The fact that he has that mask on for most of it makes the movie a Power Rangers film, we lose the entire performance. It bothers me so much. Plus, Snaggletooth isn't great in this one at all I think. I think it's a good movie but this is the one I would say has not aged well.

Did Barnes really say he hated the 2nd one?

More
22 Jul 2015 09:27 - 22 Jul 2015 09:28 #206708 by Mr. White
I thought the Goblin's mask worked.

Flying around on that glider, one would wear some sort of hard face shield. Besides, the character had a lot of great lines and even under the mask Defoe delivered them well.

I also liked how the villain wasn't trying to conquer the world or anything. He was out to protect his interests.

The rest of the cast did a great job as well. Franco, Simmons, all were fine. No problems for me with this one.

Great film.
Last edit: 22 Jul 2015 09:28 by Mr. White.

More
22 Jul 2015 09:34 #206710 by OldHippy
Replied by OldHippy on topic Your Top Marvel Films
Barnes isn't talking about the Raimi Spiderman flicks, he's talking about the Garfield ones. They are generally thought to be inferior, although I like the first one pretty well. The Raimi Spiderman films are pretty much perfect.. but I don't like Spiderman. In fact for a time I thought they may be the most true to form, the most literal interpretation of the comic book hero on the big screen. But once again I'm not as interested in that. So while I do think they are great superhero films I just don't care for them all that much since I'm not really invested in the character.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

More
22 Jul 2015 10:00 #206712 by Gregarius
Replied by Gregarius on topic Your Top Marvel Films
1. CA: Winter Soldier
2. Spider-Man 2
3. X-Men 2
4. CA: First Avenger
5. The Avengers

The Netflix Daredevil would be #2 if I were including TV shows, but I'm not so it isn't.

More
22 Jul 2015 10:40 #206715 by Green Lantern
Replied by Green Lantern on topic Your Top Marvel Films

Mr. White wrote: Maybe I should go watch fukken Ghost Rider...

NO. No you should not, Mr. White.

More
22 Jul 2015 10:45 #206716 by Green Lantern
Replied by Green Lantern on topic Your Top Marvel Films

Michael Barnes wrote: All Punisher movies are terrible.!

I hear this a lot but I personally enjoyed the Thomas Jane take on Punisher. Granted, I'm not well versed in Punisher comic lore so perhaps there is a disconnect between the movie version and the comics. Is that it? If not what was so bad about Punisher Thomas Jane edition?

More
22 Jul 2015 11:01 - 22 Jul 2015 11:03 #206717 by Ken B.
Replied by Ken B. on topic Your Top Marvel Films
1. Guardians of the Galaxy
2. X2
3. Captain America: The Winter Soldier
4. X-Men: Days of Future Past
5. Spider-Man 2
6. The Avengers
7. X-Men: First Class
8. Iron Man
9. X-Men
10. Spider-Man
Last edit: 22 Jul 2015 11:03 by Ken B..

More
22 Jul 2015 11:30 #206718 by Shellhead
Replied by Shellhead on topic Your Top Marvel Films
I haven't been able to figure out why these comic book movies tend to disappoint me. I grew up loving Marvel comics, especially Cap, Iron Man, Thor, and the Avengers. In fact, when I first started reading comics, Marvel was running monthly reprint titles for most of their top titles. So I was able to simultaneously follow both their current adventures and their early adventures just by hitting the local spin racks.

My list:

Great:
1. Thor: The Dark World - Hemsworth is great, but Hiddleston stole every scene. I have a crush on Kat Dennings, despite her ludicrous breasts.
2. Thor - almost as good as The Dark World.

Good:
3. Spider-man - Raimi did a fine job with this, though I disliked the Goblin armor.
4. Iron Man - Enjoyable, except for the overly long final fight scene. Normally I can't stand Paltrow, but she was fine in this movie. RDJ was fun.
5. X-Men: First Class - uneven and crowded with mutants, but wrestled with the important themes.
6. Blade: Trinity - the supporting actors carried this movie for the insanely stoned Snipes. The chemistry between Reynolds and Posey was entertaining.

Mediocre:
7. X-Men - Jackman, Stewart, and McKellan nailed their roles, but most of the rest of the cast just took up space.
8. X2 - not as good as the first X-Men movie.
9. Blade - I guess that I'm just not a big fan of Snipes' acting ability.

Forgettable:
10. X-Men Origins: Wolverine - Jackman is decent, but otherwise this was a mess. Too many characters, too many plot points, lack of focus, lousy title.

Terrible:
11. Howard the Duck - Admittedly, I have always hated Howard the Duck. Comic book writer Steve Gerber sometimes had some interesting ideas, but his Howard the Duck stories were never funny. The movie is even worse. Pointless, stupid, annoying.

I have been hearing great things about other Marvel movies, particularly the Captain America movies, the first Avengers movie, and Guardians of the Galaxy. But I just haven't been enjoying the Marvel movies that I have seen so far that much. Aside from the Thor movies, I consider most Marvel movies to be average in quality compared to other action or science-fiction movies, and certainly not Oscar quality by any standard except fx.

More
22 Jul 2015 12:13 #206723 by Black Barney
Replied by Black Barney on topic Your Top Marvel Films
It sure would be cool as balls if they made one that would get some Oscar love. Anyway, I found the part right before that to be more interesting..."

I consider most Marvel movies to be average in quality compared to other action or science-fiction movies"

I think for action movies, Marvel is about as good as it gets. For science-fiction, that's a total dog's breakfast of quality. You got Jupiter Ascending, you got Moon, and you got everything in between.

My list:

Great:
1. Thor: The Dark World - Hemsworth is great, but Hiddleston stole every scene. I have a crush on Kat Dennings, despite her ludicrous breasts.
2. Thor - almost as good as The Dark World.

Ok Shellhead, you have a crush on Chris Hemsworth, we get it

More
22 Jul 2015 13:03 #206726 by Mr. White

Black Barney wrote: I think for action movies, Marvel is about as good as it gets.

I dunno. I agree with Shellhead and find a lot of the action in the Marvel movies to be a cgi bore-fest. Particularly those chitari and ultron clone scenes at the end of each Avenger movie. Perhaps this is why I liked Daredevil so much. The action was visceral and had weight. The only Marvel movie fight scene that I found to be 'great' was Spidey v Doc Ock on the train in Spider-man 2.

There are plenty of other non-superhero movies that do action far better than these Marvel films. One is called Mad Max: Fury Road. You should check it out, Barney, if you haven't already.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChristopherMD, Black Barney

More
22 Jul 2015 13:23 #206728 by jeb
Replied by jeb on topic Your Top Marvel Films
They all kind of blend together in my head. I remember being really impressed by THE AVENGERS and CAPTAIN AMERICA: WINTER SOLDIER. The latter especially--that's just a good film. I am incredibly sick of origin movies. I want a lot more in medias res in these adventure movies. I thought FIRST CLASS was very good, but that might be my Fassbender crush talking.

I will bandwagon with folks though and revel in the DAREDEVIL love. That show is tight as hell. Get on that, folks.

I think GUARDIANS was a fun time, but I think it's going to get derailed by mixing in the larger MCU. I had this sense of dread every time they dropped their hooks to get the whole band together. Is that just me? I don't need movies bigger than THE AVENGERS or GotG.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.209 seconds