October 09, 2023
2288 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2504 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk abut Movies & TV here. Just tell us what you have been watching. Have hyper-academic discussions on visual semiotics. Whatever, it's all good.

Fury Road Is The Best Genre Film Since...

More
29 Sep 2015 17:58 #211617 by boothwah

Black Barney wrote: In French it means "like " and is used in the same way Valley girls say "like" a hundred times in a sentence. Drives me nuts

So if that's the context of what a genre film is, then my vote would be Clueless

I would counter with Encino Man.

/Hollywood squandered Pauly Shore's potential
//Like, watsup buuuuddy

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 Sep 2015 18:07 #211618 by ChristopherMD
The Road Warrior. You all know that's the answer you've been waiting for.

More
29 Sep 2015 18:28 #211621 by Black Barney
I don't think Mad Max is a genre film.

It looks and acts like an action movie.

More
30 Sep 2015 11:13 #211638 by Columbob

Shellhead wrote: 3. The Battle was originally just a couple of pages in the book. Yeah, you read that correctly.

It's a bit more than that, there's an entire chapter titled "Helm's Deep" focusing on the battle, and I loved that part of the book when I first read it as a kid. Gimli and Legolas's little orc-killing tallies contest is straight from the book. Of course PJ went and added elves and berserk uruk-hais and bombs etc.

More
25 Dec 2015 14:23 - 25 Dec 2015 23:30 #218220 by Cranberries
Some B-roll footage from Fury

Last edit: 25 Dec 2015 23:30 by Cranberries.

More
25 Dec 2015 23:01 #218229 by OldHippy
I don't know how the thread got this far without anyone naming any of Jackie Chan's masterpieces of action cinema. Drunken Master 2 especially but also Police Story 1&2, Dragons Forever, and possibly Operation Condor too. Some of the best genre films ever made and not just for the stunts either. There is some genuinely fascinating story telling, great comedy, and surprisingly good acting in places. I'd rank them beside any Mad Max or Star Wars film in a second.

More
26 Dec 2015 03:44 #218234 by JMcL63
Fury Road? The best genre film since Bladerunner. Easy.

More
27 Dec 2015 02:29 - 27 Dec 2015 02:30 #218293 by SuperFlySwatter
if the genre is "fucking rubbish" then yeah, I'm on board. Technically amazing, sure, great live effects and woo, explosions, but as a movie. Utterly boring shite, was roped into watching it again curious to see if my first impressions was just a letdown based on hype. Nope, its fucking terrible. Not even the best Mad Max movie.
Last edit: 27 Dec 2015 02:30 by SuperFlySwatter.

More
27 Dec 2015 13:14 #218312 by Black Barney
I feel bad for you.

One of my buddies didn't like it either. Mike Barnes described this type well in his SW review.

More
27 Dec 2015 13:25 #218313 by ChristopherMD

deleteme wrote: Not even the best Mad Max movie.

Don't leave us hanging, bro.

More
28 Dec 2015 04:47 #218351 by SuperFlySwatter
luckily I don't account for whether Michael Barnes likes something when it comes to my own personal experience. If there has been a worldwide decree however that you're either with him or against him, then OK, I'm out. I thought Fury Road was boring, despite the visuals. And yeah, yeah, oo clever allegory about society and mankind and all the rest of it. As a film experience, I'm sorry but a succession of grungy looking vehicles and apocalyptic bad guys with crazy weapons taking turns blowing shit up between playing guitars and drums being all avant garde did not really work for me. The universe wasn't believable or credible, I didnt care a shit for any of the characters, good luck to you if you did, and the underlying allegories and philosophy was unoriginal, at best. Its OK though, I'm guessing George Miller and everyone else involved in the project and all the rest of you who loved it dont agree. Thats OK, I just dont feel like I need a label handed out by some other fucking doofus on the internet because "I dont get it", I've been watching 30 Rock recently and I can guarantee you with 100% certainty that any random contiguous block of 2 hours of episodes of that show has been more entertaining to me than sitting through Fury Road (twice, my wife forced me to watch it with her even though I told her I thought it was crap and she would be bored - news flash, she also thought it was boring), I guess it must be amazing that different people just enjoy different things and dont really care whether a bunch of self appointed fucking experts tell them what they should or shouldnt be respecting. I guess you lot all huddle round listening to classic orchestras playing the great symphonies of history in your spare time in between reading the great classics of literature while browsing the local renaissance art galleries. Cos I heard that Mike Barnes guy said they were definitely the best and he damn well got a name for them schmucks who di'nt like all dat.

More
28 Dec 2015 08:24 - 28 Dec 2015 09:36 #218354 by Sagrilarus

deleteme wrote: I guess you lot all huddle round listening to classic orchestras playing the great symphonies of history in your spare time in between reading the great classics of literature while browsing the local renaissance art galleries.

They were waxing philosophical over the high art of Judas Priest music about a year back, so I wouldn't give them so much credit.

I give Fury Road a solid B. A good film, but I don't know why everyone is so overwhelmed by it.

S.
Last edit: 28 Dec 2015 09:36 by Sagrilarus.

More
28 Dec 2015 08:56 #218355 by drewcula
'Fury Road' is superb. A lot of other films on this thread are also superb. While I don't think this title necessarily competes, it's a gem that is often overlooked; 'Moon.' The one with Sam Rockwell. Planned for a trilogy but that will never happen because I think I'm the only one who saw it in a theater...
The following user(s) said Thank You: SebastianBludd, JMcL63, Black Barney

More
28 Dec 2015 15:21 #218402 by Black Barney
sag, I can't believe you're giving that whiny bitch attention.

More
28 Dec 2015 17:32 #218412 by SuperFlySwatter
oj Barnstable, I've always loved you, I can't believe you're calling me a whiny bitch and its not even on a friday!
bah humbug. I didnt realise we were trying to go all BGG in here and only fanboy opinions were allowed

vote: still love Barney, still think Fury Road was boring as fuck
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.632 seconds