October 09, 2023
2497 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2697 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk abut Movies & TV here. Just tell us what you have been watching. Have hyper-academic discussions on visual semiotics. Whatever, it's all good.

Fury Road Is The Best Genre Film Since...

More
28 Dec 2015 17:34 #218414 by ChristopherMD
Still waiting to see which Mad Max movie you thought was best and preferably why.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 Dec 2015 19:03 - 28 Dec 2015 19:05 #218426 by SuperFlySwatter
You'll get no original answers from me, probably the same as most people would say (including the Fury Road fans prior to Fury Road coming out). FR just felt like a cartoon to me, and the characters totally uninteresting. It didn't even feel like it fit into the Mad Max genre to be honest, I guess I preferred the old analog less grandiose and abstracted version where it was an actual dude in an actual car in a place that seemed like an actual place. I dont have a lot of strong memories of Beyond Thunderdome but The Road Warrior was great, and I still have a fondness for the original. Fury Road just feels like some kind of weird artistic homage to the "universe" (or idea of it) without actually being part of it. And I just thought the action got, well, incredibly repetitive and boring, there was not enough sense of pacing apart from the nonsensical time lapsing where the groups would be miles away from each other and suddenly on top of each other again. I allowed myself not to overindulge my tendency to get annoyed at the huge logical inconsistencies in how worlds and universes are put together since hardly anyone does that right, and obviously there were plenty of things going on not meant to be taken literally.You might feel like I sat down desperate not to enjoy the movie I just paid money to see, but I can assure you I'm not quite at that level of fucktardery ... just yet. So, thumbs down from me, sorry, despite how much effort went into it being made (wonder also when the teal/orange thing will be consigned to history or if we are stuck with it forever now)
Last edit: 28 Dec 2015 19:05 by SuperFlySwatter.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChristopherMD, Black Barney

More
28 Dec 2015 19:36 #218428 by ChristopherMD
I've watched the movie like 20 times and the teal/orange shit still annoys me.

More
28 Dec 2015 19:45 #218431 by Black Barney
That's a good post, delete. You don't sound like a total cunt in that one. I totally get why you don't like the movie now.
The following user(s) said Thank You: SuperFlySwatter

More
28 Dec 2015 20:11 #218435 by JMcL63

deleteme wrote: You'll get no original answers from me, probably the same as most people would say (including the Fury Road fans prior to Fury Road coming out). FR just felt like a cartoon to me, and the characters totally uninteresting. It didn't even feel like it fit into the Mad Max genre to be honest, I guess I preferred the old analog less grandiose and abstracted version where it was an actual dude in an actual car in a place that seemed like an actual place. I dont have a lot of strong memories of Beyond Thunderdome but The Road Warrior was great, and I still have a fondness for the original. Fury Road just feels like some kind of weird artistic homage to the "universe" (or idea of it) without actually being part of it. And I just thought the action got, well, incredibly repetitive and boring, there was not enough sense of pacing apart from the nonsensical time lapsing where the groups would be miles away from each other and suddenly on top of each other again. I allowed myself not to overindulge my tendency to get annoyed at the huge logical inconsistencies in how worlds and universes are put together since hardly anyone does that right, and obviously there were plenty of things going on not meant to be taken literally.You might feel like I sat down desperate not to enjoy the movie I just paid money to see, but I can assure you I'm not quite at that level of fucktardery ... just yet. So, thumbs down from me, sorry, despite how much effort went into it being made (wonder also when the teal/orange thing will be consigned to history or if we are stuck with it forever now)

After 4 viewings- this. I mean, look at Immortan Joe's Citadel, its machinery. Where the fuck you going to find steel and forges sufficient to cast that in a post-holocaust wasteland? It instantly sets Fury Road's stage as that of a cartoon, something which is in no way contradicted by the rest of the movie. Max, by now cast as the wasteland's Man With No Name, is himself a cartoon character. Fury Road's cartoonish reality makes it seem more a series coda than it does a revival.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChristopherMD

More
28 Dec 2015 21:29 #218444 by Black Barney
Exactly. I never found myself asking those questions in the movie, yet I was constantly doing that in Star Wars. Drove myself crazy.

This is a really unique and special occasion we have this year with these two films. I don't know if I'll ever get sick of talking about this. I will, however, get really sick of all the marketing star wars stuff I'm getting hit with. It's worse than xmas season. I saw four commercials for star wars themed merchandise before the movie started. That movie was Force Awakens too. I don't really want to see kylo ren explode into a million smartphones right before I'm supposed to be fearing him. Is he going to use his saber, force push or that nifty smartphone attack when he's on the big screen ?

More
28 Dec 2015 23:11 #218458 by Sevej
Starship Fucking Trooper.

I don't care if it peed on the book. It was just a fun movie with starships, bug fighting, explosions, and tits. Greatly paced and funny.

Never really dig any of the superheroes movies to begin with...

More
29 Dec 2015 06:22 #218476 by SuperFlySwatter
Starship Troopers is awesome, actually!

More
29 Dec 2015 14:46 #218523 by Black Barney
The cartoon aspect of Starship Troopers is much more obvious than it is with Fury Road too. Although Immortan Joe couldn't be more over the top. Love that guy

More
29 Dec 2015 15:05 #218527 by Egg Shen
Love me some Starship Troopers. Great flick. In the 80s and 90s Paul Verhoeven really made some of the best sci-fi action flims. Robocop, Total Recall and Starship Troopers are some of my favorite films to re-watch over and over again.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChristopherMD, SebastianBludd, JMcL63

More
30 Dec 2015 15:03 #218644 by san il defanso
I mentioned this in the Trashdome thread, but I think I'd actually call Fury Road the best genre film, since Raiders of the Lost Ark, which I actually like better than any individual Star Wars movie. I kept ticking off movies that I thought would compete, and I'm hard-pressed to find one that might actually best it.

Lord of the Rings - Terrific movies, probably the closest competition. But they really work best as a series, rather than installments. As a whole I like them better, but not as individual movies.

The Matrix - I'm less a fanboy than a lot of people, but this is the closest I think we've come to the experience, where I really finished the movie and had no concept something like that was possible.

Die Hard - Not sure this counts exactly as a genre film, but it's the perfect action movie. I like Fury Road more.

Aliens - Also a close call, but I like car chases so much.

Raiders of the Lost Ark - Okay, this one I actually like better than Fury Road.

More
30 Dec 2015 15:25 #218645 by Sagrilarus
Pirates of the Caribbean.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.392 seconds