October 09, 2023
2460 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2661 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk abut Movies & TV here. Just tell us what you have been watching. Have hyper-academic discussions on visual semiotics. Whatever, it's all good.

Favorite Star Wars Character

More
28 Oct 2015 22:23 #213622 by Gary Sax
Just like the topic says. And tell us why. The obvious choice is Han Solo. I would have gone that way for a long time, legit option.

But now I'd have to say, all told, Ahsoka Tano from Clone Wars. She has a great character arc, and in particular what she does at the end of the series, for all the right reasons, is among the most noble and authentic choices in any of the films or shows. Furthermore, the way she takes on characteristics of her mentors throughout the series before finally realizing she has more to learn from people who aren't her mentor is pretty profound---realizing that someone who you've been looking up to forever isn't good for you is such a difficult thing.

And I just enjoy her character, who actually manages to ride that optimistic, light and fun person line without straying into cardboard cutout manic pixie annoying person.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 Oct 2015 22:38 - 28 Oct 2015 22:42 #213623 by Michael Barnes
Bold choice! And a REALLY good one, too. It took the writers a season to get a handle on how to write her, but she turned out to be an awesome, complex and appealing character. There's more dimension to her than the more archetypical SW characters.

Did you watch Rebels yet? I don't want to spoil it, but you really, really should.

Clone Wars actually produced a few great characters...I think Anakin is excellent too. Rex, Fives and the other clones are great. Pre Viszla, Savage Opress, Duchess Satine...it may be heretical, but I think Clone Wars has more interesting and dynamic characters than OT. Just not iconic.

Edit- how could I leave our GENERAL FUCKING GRIEVOUS and CAD BANE- two of the best villains in SW!
Last edit: 28 Oct 2015 22:42 by Michael Barnes.

More
28 Oct 2015 22:48 - 28 Oct 2015 22:50 #213625 by Gary Sax
I haven't seen it yet---is it on any of the streaming services? I'm hoping she's in it (older) as a cameo. She probably didn't get swept up in Order 66 because of (SPOILER CENSORING).

Clone Wars restored my faith in Star Wars. As you said, just compare Anakin in Clone Wars with Anakin in the prequels. The character wasn't broken. The writing was. Clone Wars writes its way into making his turn into Darth Vader, or at least his defection from the Jedi Order, make perfect sense. The Jedi are TERRIFYING in Clone Wars, if you think about their order, parallel power structure, and rigid rules, for more than a minute. Even though they act as a force of good in the show. Just watch the arc where they're fighting the martian guys (Umbarans) on THEIR planet. The separatists make some real fucking sense in the Clone Wars.

Watching the prequels had me wondering if Star Wars was rose tinted glasses, if it was really the source material, not the specific realizations, that sucked. Clone Wars showed me with talented, fresh, pro writers you can really do great things with Star Wars. Which made me super excited about the upcoming new films with no interference from Lucas.
Last edit: 28 Oct 2015 22:50 by Gary Sax.

More
28 Oct 2015 22:57 #213626 by Gary Sax
Along the lines of Cad Bane and Grievous, I was thinking how good Master Plo Koon was as a character in Clone Wars

More
28 Oct 2015 23:00 #213627 by Ancient_of_MuMu
I have a real soft spot for "You rebel scum". I like to believe he survived the battle of Endor and is still on Endor 30 years later, and like a marooned Japanese soldier from WW2, still fighting a one man guerrilla war against the Ewoks as a very old man.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, boothwah

More
28 Oct 2015 23:18 #213628 by Black Barney
Admiral Ackbar for me. When I was a kid it was Yoda but he's ruined now.

I love Grand Moff Tarkin too, he's awesome. A muggle that holds sway over Lord Vader?? What??!
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb, Gary Sax

More
28 Oct 2015 23:26 #213630 by stoic
Replied by stoic on topic Favorite Star Wars Character

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Michael Barnes

More
29 Oct 2015 08:57 #213638 by Josh Look
Well, color me cliche, but it's Han Solo for me. I do have a few other favorites though.

For old EU stuff, Grand Admiral Thrawn is up there, I don't care whether he counts anymore or not. If you read the Tales of the Bounty Hunters book, Dengar is clearly the most interesting if the bunch, despite looking kind of dumb.

New cannon stuff? Darth Vader's droids from Marvels Vader comic are the clear winners. I wish they'd carry over into something else, they're the reason to read that book. Chopper from Rebels is great, too.

More
29 Oct 2015 09:07 #213640 by Sagrilarus
Without a doubt Ahsoka, although to be fair she likely has had as much or more screen time than virtually any other character in the entire run to develop her persona. The creators of the cartoon seemed to really have her fleshed out before the film, and what remained was to take care in presenting it over time.

My kids (and me) stopped watching Clone Wars when she disappeared, so I need to get on Netflix and watch the second half of the series. Rumor has it she has a big finish.

S.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
02 Nov 2015 13:26 - 23 Nov 2015 10:51 #213923 by 433
Replied by 433 on topic Favorite Star Wars Character
Wedge, hands down. The only Rebel pilot to survive both Death Star battles, and without the stupid Force helping him out. The EU novels, especially the Stackpole and Allston "X-Wing" books and the Dark Horse "Rogue Squadron" comics fleshed him out even more. In the movies, he's a bit scared and lost, but then grows into a great leader.

From the new series, I like Sabine Wren. Such a refreshing change from the grizzled resistance fighter trope. She's fun and badass.
Last edit: 23 Nov 2015 10:51 by 433. Reason: Damn Autocorrect!
The following user(s) said Thank You: SuperflyPete, stoic

More
02 Nov 2015 14:20 #213927 by Michael Barnes
I named my most beloved cat of all time Wedge.

Sabine is great, she's a perfect example of how Rebels updates Star Wars and keeps it authentic. She totally works in a SW context, but she's an anarchic street artist...something we've never seen before. Her character design is really good too, the spray-painted Mandalorian armor is neat.

Rebels is on an INCREDIBLE roll right now, from the reveal of
Warning: Spoiler!
to bringing in
Warning: Spoiler!
to that AWESOME battle between the Clones and the AT-ATs...and the deal with the Inquisistor(s)...which is all canonical. And very interesting.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 433

More
02 Nov 2015 14:21 #213928 by charlest
Tycho Celchu and Boba Fett. Boba is of course a boring choice but Tycho is slightly more exciting. Dude has an interesting back story and intriguing arc through the EU. Hell of a pilot too.

More
22 Nov 2015 11:54 #215618 by SuperFlySwatter
The correct answer is Darth Vader. The End.
no explanation required.:)

as promising as the new trailers look, this fact is my number one concern for the sequels.
The following user(s) said Thank You: mads b., stoic

More
22 Nov 2015 15:47 #215636 by boothwah

Ancient_of_MuMu wrote: I have a real soft spot for "You rebel scum". I like to believe he survived the battle of Endor and is still on Endor 30 years later, and like a marooned Japanese soldier from WW2, still fighting a one man guerrilla war against the Ewoks as a very old man.

I so want see this now. Maybe a Netflix series so they can go with a bit more violence. Ewoks dieing left and right. "Chub Chub this you furry bastards!".
The following user(s) said Thank You: mads b., Ancient_of_MuMu

More
22 Nov 2015 17:46 - 22 Nov 2015 18:05 #215640 by OldHippy
I remember watching the first one and things don't really get good until Obi Wan shows up. He classes up the entire film. Unfortunately, he has a total shit role in the next two films but it's still nice to see him when he shows up.

I've always thought of Star Wars as a bit of a American Revolution picture. Bad guys are English, Good Guys are American, there's a revolution going on... then Obi Wan is a complicated outcast living in the wild, he's English, he knows things about the Empire, but we're not sure how. He's mysterious, you know just enough of his history for him to be awesome but you're still shocked when he slices that dude up in the bar. His introduction to the film is one of the coolest in action cinema history, not just the Star Wars universe. It's through him that we first learn what a Jedi is, he sets the gold standard that still hasn't been beat.

Now I could just as easily choose Darth Vader who is indeed cool, or Boba Fett because of his cool ass costume (which is as good a reason to pick a character as any other when it's in the Star Wars universe), or some little discussed side character for some kind of geek cred, but no, they're bad guys or simply not that important. Obi Wan manages to be cool without an awesome costume, he is as awesome as anyone ever was yet he dies after one film (let's see Darth Maul or Qui-Gon Jinn pull that off), all the while being the best of the good guys. I can't think of any other character in the entire universe that does all of that.

On top of all that Alec Guinness can actually act.
Last edit: 22 Nov 2015 18:05 by OldHippy.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Camshaft

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.299 seconds