October 09, 2023
2455 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2657 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk abut Movies & TV here. Just tell us what you have been watching. Have hyper-academic discussions on visual semiotics. Whatever, it's all good.

Favorite Star Wars Character

More
22 Nov 2015 17:52 #215641 by Black Barney
Obi WAN is the reason ep.iv holds up as the best
He gives it depth
The following user(s) said Thank You: 433, OldHippy

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Nov 2015 18:35 #215643 by repoman
Alright you knuckle dragging mouth breathers, listen up.

First, Barney is, of course, spouting nonsense. Star Wars, not Ep. IV, holds up for numerous reasons not just Obi Wan's character and of course many fine actors were in that film.

Now to the question at hand. Princess Leia is my favorite character. She's smart (the escape was too easy...they let them go), she's sassy (would it help if she got out and pushed?), she's brave and fierce (how do you like this leash now, Jabba, as I choke you to death with it) and all this without for a moment being anything less than ultra sexy (good lord when the cell door opens and she is lounging on the metal cot....Hubba Hubba )

In more serious terms, I like her because she is a woman in an adventure tale who is not helpless and just waiting for her man to save her. She is a hero and not just a motivation for the hero.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 433, Gary Sax, bfkiller, Josh Look

More
22 Nov 2015 19:11 #215646 by Josh Look
"You were right...You were right about Princess Leia."

Yeah, she is really great for all those reasons.

I just read the Marvel Princess Leia series by Mark Waid. The elevator pitch for it is "Leia and a female X-Wing pilot from Alderaan set out to gather the remnants of their people and culture while the Empire attempts finish the job the Death Star started." It starts kinda slow, lags a bit in the 3rd issue, but finishes very strong and serves as another fine example as to why Leia rules.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 433

More
22 Nov 2015 19:44 - 22 Nov 2015 19:47 #215649 by Hex Sinister
Yeah, Carrie Fisher was brilliant in SW. To think the part could have gone to someone else like Jodie Foster or something... Eeew, no way. Without Fisher I don't think the films would have been as much of a success. I'm trying to think of a better heroine than Leia in other movies but I'm coming up blank.

I would love to tell cosplayers to show proper respect and stop dressing up like her because... because... just don't! It's tacky. You ain't no damn Leia Organa by any stretch ;p
Last edit: 22 Nov 2015 19:47 by Hex Sinister. Reason: usual bad grammar
The following user(s) said Thank You: 433

More
22 Nov 2015 23:35 #215673 by metalface13
Bossk. He's just this big lizard dude in a yellow flight suit with a big gun. And he's a bounty hunter, bad ass enough to be called in by darth vader. You never see him again, except in expanded universe stuff.

Other than that Han Solo and old Ben kenobi. No love for Luke though? Whiny farm boy who transforms to himself into someone strong enough to topple the emperor?

More
23 Nov 2015 00:13 #215674 by SebastianBludd

repoman wrote: In more serious terms, I like her because she is a woman in an adventure tale who is not helpless and just waiting for her man to save her. She is a hero and not just a motivation for the hero.

Upon my recent rewatch of Star Wars I loved the moment when Luke and Leia were trapped on one side of the chasm in the Death Star and Luke says, "Hold this," as he hands her the Stormtrooper blaster so he can get the grappling line out of his belt, as if she's just going to stand there and wait for him to be heroic. Nope. She straight up starts murdering chumps while he's fiddling with his grappling hook.

I also like that the movies are so matter-of-fact about her competency and there's never any bullshit battle-of-the-sexes dialogue where she has to put some sexist in his place because he doesn't think a woman can shoot, or should be a leader in the Rebellion, etc.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Hex Sinister

More
23 Nov 2015 00:25 #215675 by stoic
Replied by stoic on topic Favorite Star Wars Character
No ones loves the Jawas. Sure, Ewoks are furry, they purr, and they're like teddy bears, but, Jawas, they get to travel in their laid back customized creeper van/ sand crawler low riders, riding the crests of the dunes on Tatooine, all the while picking up junk and selling junk. Jawas even got those glowing eyes from smoking all of that metachlorian-high-grade reefer. And, don't forget about their hoodies, it protects all of their Inked Tatooine tattoos.

More
23 Nov 2015 04:38 #215681 by repoman
Luke doesn't become interesting as a character really until he chooses to leave Yoda to save his friends even though his mentors tell him not to. He has some cool action scenes before that but that's where he gains depth. When he redeems Vader, well that's just great.

More
23 Nov 2015 10:04 #215702 by SuperflyPete
For me, it's got to be IG-88.

Fucking AI assassin. How can you go wrong with an AI assassin!?!

More
23 Nov 2015 10:55 #215716 by 433
Replied by 433 on topic Favorite Star Wars Character

Michael Barnes wrote: ...to that AWESOME battle between the Clones and the AT-ATs...

It was as tense as a submarine movie.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Camshaft

More
23 Nov 2015 13:16 - 23 Nov 2015 13:18 #215735 by jeb
Replied by jeb on topic Favorite Star Wars Character
I rewatched STAR WARS again recently and I need to give props to Cushing as Grand Moff Tarkin. Darth Vader is scary and all with his robot face and witchy powers, but GMT is the fucking boss. "Name the system!" Leia had been drugged and tortured and didn't cough it up and he gets it out of her AND blows Alderaan up. I mean, holy shit, guys. That's how you bad guy.
Last edit: 23 Nov 2015 13:18 by jeb.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 433, Black Barney

More
23 Nov 2015 13:42 - 23 Nov 2015 13:44 #215738 by Black Barney
I just love the mystery to Tarkin. The zero back story that you would LOVE to sink your teeth into. Vader's obedience to Palpatine makes total sense on tons of levels. You don't even need the back story to really understand it. It's just obvious. "ah... this guy is more like Vader than these other Empire peons. I get it"

But Tarkin... why does Vader respect this guy so much? Tarkin couldn't force push a dust bunny across a windy courtyard, but Vader heels the second the guy says boo. Vader chokes out clumsy, stupid admirals like I go through chicken mcnuggets, but "Governor" is untouchable? WHAT IS GOING ON?! I love that mystery. Also, Tarkin clearly has ZERO fear of Vader. He's not concerned at all to be in the same room as him, doesn't focus on him at all, where every single other senior fleet officer has beads of sweat. Even Motti who thinks he can talk a big game was clearly afraid. Why doesn't Tarkin fear Vader? Did he grow up in a household of psychopathic wizards and is used to it??

Good call on Tarkin, Jebby. There is a lot going on there. And to connect your post to whoever correctly lavished praise on Leia, she's shows some clarity to that relationship all on her own. I mean she says, "Governor Tarkin, I should have expected to find you holding Vader's leash," right in front of Vader! It's like she's hoping to set off Vader against Tarkin by saying something like that, which turns out to be ingenious foreshadowing since he ends up striking out against Palpatine after her brother basically does the same psychological sheanigans against the dark lord. Amazing.

One final word on Grand Moff. Tarkin knows about Obi-Wan as well, which shows him to be an old soul of the Empire.
Last edit: 23 Nov 2015 13:44 by Black Barney.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb, Gary Sax

More
23 Nov 2015 14:00 #215739 by DukeofChutney
I'm going Tarkin, (mostly because I love Cushing), he is very quotable.

More
23 Nov 2015 14:13 #215742 by Black Barney

You're far too trusting

...pretty callous thing to say before you end the lives of 2 billion people

More
23 Nov 2015 14:24 #215747 by SuperflyPete
Grand Moff. Every time I read that I think "The Zohan"

DE BOOSH!! DE BOOSH!!

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.300 seconds