October 09, 2023
2218 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2438 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk abut Movies & TV here. Just tell us what you have been watching. Have hyper-academic discussions on visual semiotics. Whatever, it's all good.

2015 Oscar Nominations

More
29 Feb 2016 15:31 #223539 by Gary Sax
Replied by Gary Sax on topic 2015 Oscar Nominations
Spotlight was great, so I can't complain despite liking Fury Road a bit better.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 Feb 2016 16:11 - 29 Feb 2016 16:13 #223540 by Sagrilarus
Replied by Sagrilarus on topic 2015 Oscar Nominations
My political viewpoints are pretty static at this point too, but I'll admit that the topic of Spotlight is pretty damn compelling. I like the escapism too, but now and again a more real-life film has an impact on me. Haven't seen Spotlight yet so I can't speak to how it handled it.

The Oscars aren't for the general public and don't represent the general public's opinion. I don't understand why anybody other than industry people watches them. This is insiders voting for insiders, and often the awards go to the person who is "due" instead of the person that put in the best performance. It's not designed to be particularly fair nor billed that way.

What is far more amusing to me is that the winners got handed damn near a quarter million dollars worth of crap on their way off the stage this year. It just shows how out of touch this crowd of people is with the rest of us.

I watched about two minutes worth, when CK was giving the award for best short documentary and mentioned "this Oscar is going home in a Honda Civic. It's going to actually mean something the the person that gets it." Then they gave it to someone who already had one. So much for that punch line.
Last edit: 29 Feb 2016 16:13 by Sagrilarus.

More
29 Feb 2016 17:25 #223541 by Msample
Replied by Msample on topic 2015 Oscar Nominations

Sagrilarus wrote: This is insiders voting for insiders, and often the awards go to the person who is "due" instead of the person that put in the best performance. It's not designed to be particularly fair nor billed that way.

What is far more amusing to me is that the winners got handed damn near a quarter million dollars worth of crap on their way off the stage this year. It just shows how out of touch this crowd of people is with the rest of us.

In this day and age where wealth inequity is such a hot topic I am surprised these schwag bags still exist. Or that some celeb hasn't gone off on the practice.

More
29 Feb 2016 18:47 - 29 Feb 2016 18:48 #223544 by Michael Barnes
Shellhead, both SW and MM were both GREAT examples of how to express diversity and inclusion- far better than films that dwell on historical iniquities or that strain to make political statements. In MM, Furiosa is a woman but so what. She's a fucking bad ass, and she's rescuing women from a warlord. There are certainly political and social messages in the film, but they are part of the entertainment, not the entertainment itself. The leads in SW are a black guy and a girl, who are looking like they may even wind up the first biracial couple in the franchise. But it's not a big deal. Nobody in the film stops and says "hang on...that stormtrooper is BLACK!" Or "you're a girl, you can't handle a lightsaber". There is not even a hint of racism EVEN IN A FILM WITH A HUGE THIRD REICH METAPHOR! These characters are simply who they are without apology or a big fuss made about their gender, race, or whatever. They are truly integrated, not shoehorned in or presented as "token" characters.

I love what JJ Abrams said about having a gay character in the next film. He kind of said "Well, why wouldn't we?" That is exactly the kind of thinking that is needed, especially when the news media in particular is expending so much effort in keeping people in this constant state of drama, fear and tension while promoting this agenda that there are these differences and "sides" surrounding them.

I live by this belief. Race, sexuality, gender, etc. are not a big deal. So don't fucking make them a big deal either way. Be yourself, be kind, and be humane. Respect folks that give and deserve respect. That's it. Don't overcomplicate it.

I like Chris Rock, I always have...but this whole "Hollywood is racist" line was no more evident then when they brought out Asian kids on behalf of Price, Waterhouse and Cooper- get it, good at math! And they made your iPhone, because Asian kids work in sweatshops! And one of them had a Jewish name because Jews know about that money, don't they! SO SOLLY!
Last edit: 29 Feb 2016 18:48 by Michael Barnes.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

More
29 Feb 2016 19:56 #223548 by Not Sure
Replied by Not Sure on topic 2015 Oscar Nominations

I'm 40 years old. My morals and my politics are sorted. I no longer need social justice entertainment to validate what I already personally believe in and stand against. I'm not impressed by self-aggrandizing "cause" films anymore. I understand that racism, sexism, homophobia, oppression and intolerance are bad. I understand that not everyone lives in a "first world" country. Pollution and environmental destruction is awful. Corporations are greedy and destructive. Man is sometimes awful to other man. The Holocaust was horrible and lots of people suffered unjustly. All of these things I do not need a film to tell me and I do not hold a film in higher regard just because it reinforced these morales. Preaching to the choir is boring.

TL;DR/Mad Max and Star Wars were the best films of 2015. Neither bent over backward to appease my liberal sensibilities.

Barnes, are you seriously going to use "I'm 40 and fixed in my own beliefs" as a reason Hollywood shouldn't make movies about those topics anymore?

That is the single most self-indulgent pile of bullshit I've ever seen from you.

It's a great thing that you managed to find your way to this pinnacle of enlightened philosophy without any help whatsoever from film or other media. Or, if that wasn't really the case, then all those slightly confused 14-year-olds can go watch films from your childhood to find their way. Worked for you, right? Perfect. Solved. You understand it, what else is there?

Fuck that. In the simplest terms, that's "pulling up the ladder".

"Everyone already knows that these things are bad, so shut up yer preachin' and gimme more Star Wars!" is neither true nor desirable. We'll get enough Star Wars to empty our wallets regardless of anything else that happens, that's already been proven.

More
29 Feb 2016 20:12 - 29 Feb 2016 20:14 #223549 by Michael Barnes
Paul, come on man...don't fall into that "Barnes thinks his is the word of God" trap.

I'm saying that's where I am with the oscars, cause films, social justice messages and so forth. You are absolutely correct that plenty of films, records and books not to mention fine art has built who I am politically and socially and I expect that is the case for a 15 year old kid that just saw A Clockwork Orange today or another that just got into Crass or one that finished V for Vendetta on the bus this afternoon. I'm not saying no one needs these kinds of messages...I'm saying that I don't.

I'm more impressed and moved when a movie has a message like The Martian, which was so positive and forward-thinking or Tomorrowland, which was about how we've lost our wonder and hope for the future. Those were messages that resonate with me now much more than "slavery, it was real bad".
Last edit: 29 Feb 2016 20:14 by Michael Barnes.

More
29 Feb 2016 21:09 - 29 Feb 2016 21:11 #223553 by Not Sure
Replied by Not Sure on topic 2015 Oscar Nominations

But think about what that means. I know your opinions mean fuck-all to what the film industry chooses to green-light or single out for an award. Mine too.

Hell, I didn't see most of the Oscar films this year. I realize I skew on the left of this site and try not to make a big deal out of it, but that particular statement really chaps me. The notion that a subject is "boring" because you already have well-formed opinions on it. How'd they get there?

Saying these types of stories don't need to be made or highlighted because you're past that is embarrassing. "Slavery, it was real bad" is a pretty simple viewpoint. Hard to argue with that. I bet I can find some people that will, though. Shit, you live in Georgia, just look at the flag and tell me those issues are all over now. Nobody needs a reminder of that, it's settled.
Last edit: 29 Feb 2016 21:11 by Not Sure.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, JEM

More
29 Feb 2016 21:23 #223554 by Sagrilarus
Replied by Sagrilarus on topic 2015 Oscar Nominations
Of course there's going to be a gay person in Star Wars. There's one gay person in every movie series and TV show.

Except for Once Upon a Time. They've held off in that one so far. I have Mulan in the pool so I'm hoping she comes out this season.
The following user(s) said Thank You: SuperflyPete, repoman

More
01 Mar 2016 10:54 - 01 Mar 2016 10:54 #223569 by SuperflyPete
Replied by SuperflyPete on topic 2015 Oscar Nominations
I actually never watch the Oscars, but I did so for the first time in 20 years, whilst wearing a Black Lives Matter T-Shirt.

#TrueStory

With regard to Leo's win...

Attachments:
Last edit: 01 Mar 2016 10:54 by SuperflyPete.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Grudunza

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.158 seconds