October 09, 2023
2218 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2438 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk abut Movies & TV here. Just tell us what you have been watching. Have hyper-academic discussions on visual semiotics. Whatever, it's all good.

2015 Oscar Nominations

More
19 Jan 2016 09:12 #220178 by Black Barney
Replied by Black Barney on topic 2015 Oscar Nominations
So this #OscarsSoWhite thing isn't going away and now there are boycotts by good directors and bad actresses. Can we talk about this here you think ? if Starbucks can try, why can't the Fort?

Here's my take :

There's no affirmative action when it comes to the Academy Awards. You get nominated if your performance warrants it. That being said, I personally have not seen any acting performances this year that should OBVIOUSLY Get a nomination. Some are good for sure but I don’t see obvious exclusions. In fact the biggest miss for me is Ridley Scott for directing.

Should Oscar make an attempt each year to ensure an African-American gets nominated ? Of course not. They've been nominated before, they've won before, they've even swept before. I don't see a systemic problem with Oscar.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 Jan 2016 10:32 #220188 by Gregarius
Replied by Gregarius on topic 2015 Oscar Nominations
We should do away with the Academy and just let the Oscars be decided by box office and popular vote through 1-800 numbers like American Idol. It's the only way to be truly fair.
The following user(s) said Thank You: OldHippy

More
19 Jan 2016 10:41 #220190 by Black Barney
How's that fair though? Then it's the Peoples' Choice Awards and it's not supposed to be a popularity contest. When Oscar gets it right (Hurt Locker over Avatar) it reminds me us why it's the way it is.

But the jury isn't representative of our culture, I think that's the problem. I THINK the people that do the nominations is a bunch of 60 yr old white guys. These people have soft spots for films like Dallas Buyers Club (which is excellent, btw). If they can give more diversity to that group (both in terms of race, religion and age), I think that would be an improvement?

I think this fight should have happened last year with Selma. Then you had a legitimate beef. This year, there is nothing excellent that really got omitted. objectively speaking, of course.

More
19 Jan 2016 10:45 #220192 by Columbob
Replied by Columbob on topic 2015 Oscar Nominations
The popularity contest gets its due directly at the box office anyways.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

More
19 Jan 2016 10:52 #220193 by OldHippy
Replied by OldHippy on topic 2015 Oscar Nominations
There's also this from the CBC..

www.cbc.ca/news/aboriginal/the-revenant-...nous-story-1.3404007

It is an issue but people are going about it all wrong. The issue isn't with the Academy itself, it's the institution of Hollywood. Sure, The Revenant can't escape it's 'colonial gaze' but that was never it's intention, and sure there isn't any black people being nominated for prominent awards (the only argument I've heard is that the fellow from Creed should have got a nom) but there just weren't any to choose from this year (possible exception to the dude from Creed, which I never saw). Hollywood just doesn't make enough of those films. More money needs to go to alternative voices to give them that chance. It's hardly the Academies fault that the movies weren't made in the first place. I'd love to see a film from a Native perspective about the colonists arriving or even about life long before any colonists arrived. I'd also love to see more artistic intelligent films about the black experience in USAmerica but those films just aren't being made.

We don't want whites telling these stories, that's just condescending. So this problem comes from some other place... is there enough money and encouragement in these communities to make people tell these stories in the first place? I lived on a reservation for some time and their arts programs went from shitty to non existent.. if you don't encourage children to get into that industry, if you don't fund those artists, you don't get those movies. There's also the possibility that the people handing out the dough are subconsciously or systemically racist and just won't fund those projects. Either way the fact remains that the movies don't exist so there's no point in blaming the Academy.

#blackoscarsmatter

More
19 Jan 2016 11:08 - 19 Jan 2016 11:12 #220195 by Sagrilarus
Replied by Sagrilarus on topic 2015 Oscar Nominations
I'm more curious about the nominating process than the award process, which from what I've heard requires you to submit your own performance for consideration and then lobby for its inclusion. If that is indeed the case then the players that are more connected in the industry are more able to proceed through the nomination process. That puts a pretty big barrier on people that aren't in the center of the industry.

Hey Barney, how many of the votes that went to Hurt Locker do you suppose were F-U votes against Cameron?

S.
Last edit: 19 Jan 2016 11:12 by Sagrilarus.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney, OldHippy

More
19 Jan 2016 11:27 #220197 by Gregarius
Since it seems it wasn't obvious, I was kidding about the popular vote.

As for nominations, I believe that they are also restricted to category; for example, only actors can nominate in the acting categories. That way, it really is recognition from your peers. But I really don't know the details about how the Oscars work, so I could be totally wrong about that.

More
19 Jan 2016 12:50 #220201 by jeb
Replied by jeb on topic 2015 Oscar Nominations

Black Barney wrote: So this #OscarsSoWhite thing isn't going away and now there are boycotts by good directors and bad actresses. Can we talk about this here you think ? if Starbucks can try, why can't the Fort?

Here's my take :

There's no affirmative action when it comes to the Academy Awards. You get nominated if your performance warrants it. That being said, I personally have not seen any acting performances this year that should OBVIOUSLY Get a nomination. Some are good for sure but I don’t see obvious exclusions. In fact the biggest miss for me is Ridley Scott for directing.

Should Oscar make an attempt each year to ensure an African-American gets nominated ? Of course not. They've been nominated before, they've won before, they've even swept before. I don't see a systemic problem with Oscar.

Barney, I think the concern is that the makeup of the Academy itself is lilywhite and pure as the driven snow. There's about 6300 members, most of them are retirement age, and I would guess that 6000 of them would be considered white and probably 4500 are male--it's 70% old white dudes. That's the issue. The country, the industry, and the world is moving to a more inclusive paradigm, and the Academy stands out like a bastion of the old guard.

The same thing happened in the early 1970s, the Academy was aging, and they invited a whole bunch of younger folks to membership to align more closely with who was making and watching movies.

And guys, Idris Elba killed it in BEASTS OF NO NATION and I've heard Will Smith was good in CONCUSSION along with Jordan from CREED. A white guy gets nominated in a movie about Apollo Creed's son? That's bad form, Oscar.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney, OldHippy

More
19 Jan 2016 13:30 #220212 by Black Barney
When and if Stallone wins for Creed I imagine that'll cause trouble. In the end, the best acting performances of Creed should be nominated. Is Stallone the best performance in Creed? I don't know cuz I haven't seen it.

The weirdest thing about Avatar winning is that half the people voting were hired and paid to work on some aspect of Avatar. So Sag may be onto something. Hurt Locker really was amazing though.

More
19 Jan 2016 14:33 #220225 by Michael Barnes

Gregarius wrote: We should do away with the Academy and just let the Oscars be decided by box office and popular vote through 1-800 numbers like American Idol. It's the only way to be truly fair.

"And the Oscar for best picture goes to...RIDE ALONG 2!"

More
19 Jan 2016 15:10 #220238 by Joebot
Replied by Joebot on topic 2015 Oscar Nominations

jeb wrote: That's the issue. The country, the industry, and the world is moving to a more inclusive paradigm, and the Academy stands out like a bastion of the old guard.

I agree with this. Like any social institution, the Academy has to change with the culture, or get left behind. I don't see them being capable of changing.

I think there are two other big factors that point to the Oscars' increasing irrelevancy:

1) TV is where it's at, especially in dramas. The quality of TV dramas now surpasses anything you can find in movies.
2) The actual Oscar awards show is unwatchable. It's unbearably smug, over-blown, and BORING.

More
19 Jan 2016 15:37 #220248 by Gregarius

Joebot wrote: 1) TV is where it's at, especially in dramas. The quality of TV dramas now surpasses anything you can find in movies.
2) The actual Oscar awards show is unwatchable. It's unbearably smug, over-blown, and BORING.

1) I don't agree with this, but the quality in TV has definitely improved vastly over the last few years.
2) 100% agree with this, and I punch myself in the nuts every year for still watching that pile of trash.

More
19 Jan 2016 17:01 #220277 by OldHippy
Replied by OldHippy on topic 2015 Oscar Nominations
I haven't seen this yet so maybe it's really bad, but you never know and it is on topic.

More
20 Jan 2016 09:01 - 20 Jan 2016 09:10 #220316 by Black Barney
No one cares that a sub-par actress is snubbing the Oscars. She's snubbing a widely viewed awards show hosted by an African American too.

I don't know what the best way to protest this is but probably not watching non black movies I GUESS is a start. Maybe organize the Ebony Awards, I have no idea.

I really don't think 2015s lineup shows an issue at all

If anyone here is on Twitter, ask her if her husband is still going
Last edit: 20 Jan 2016 09:10 by Black Barney.

More
20 Jan 2016 09:37 - 20 Jan 2016 09:48 #220322 by Sagrilarus
Replied by Sagrilarus on topic 2015 Oscar Nominations

Black Barney wrote: No one cares that a sub-par actress is snubbing the Oscars.

That's the standard party line for middle aged white males. Encapsulate the issue into a single person instead of the broader concept. It rings a bit differently in the black community where communal protest has gained them most of their progress over the past 100 years. Someone needs to step forward first. Some need to be angry, some need to be resistant, some need to work patiently within the system.

The question comes down more to the individuals involved. Which great performances have been overlooked and why. More to the point, which mediocre performances are nominated in their place. The Oscars is a "Mutual Admiration Society" (my wife's phrase for it) so I can't say I care all that much. I can't tell you a single person that won last year. So from a movie-goers perspective it's not a big deal. But for the people in the industry there's serious amounts of money involved and the old boy network apparently is alive and well.

One could ask why there is a separation between Best Actor and Best Actress, a pretty arbitrary divider these days when movies are no longer musical love stories. Put both genders into a single category and you'd likely have a similar argument regarding women not getting as many nominations as well.
Last edit: 20 Jan 2016 09:48 by Sagrilarus.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.224 seconds