October 09, 2023
2218 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2438 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk abut Movies & TV here. Just tell us what you have been watching. Have hyper-academic discussions on visual semiotics. Whatever, it's all good.

2015 Oscar Nominations

More
20 Jan 2016 12:13 #220337 by Black Barney
Replied by Black Barney on topic 2015 Oscar Nominations
Correct, there will always be someone that isn't happy

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Feb 2016 15:14 #222320 by Black Barney
Hey so it's looking like Mad Max is going to take the MOST Oscars! That's pretty awesome. I think it's going to win at least 5. Revenant won't win more than 3 but it'll be some of the big ones like Director, Cinematography and stuff.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Columbob

More
12 Feb 2016 16:34 #222331 by Black Barney
Actually it's possible for Mad Max to beat Star Wars For visual effects which would bring it to six if that happened

More
29 Feb 2016 00:13 #223491 by Grudunza
Replied by Grudunza on topic 2015 Oscar Nominations
Barney, I think you win the pool. You nailed all of the big ones, and even mentioned Rylance as a possibility. Good job. I was close, too, and had quite a few (I switched my Actress pick to Brie Larson a few weeks ago), but you got me.

I think it's a travesty that George Miller didn't win, but you called it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

More
29 Feb 2016 00:22 #223493 by Sevej
Replied by Sevej on topic 2015 Oscar Nominations
Well, finally Leo gets his!

More
29 Feb 2016 01:59 #223495 by Michael Barnes
Bowie is memorialized not in a clip from The Man Who Fell to Earth...or Labyrinth...or Merry Christmas Mr. Lawrence...or Fire Walk With Me...or The Last Temptation of Christ...or The Prestige...or Basquiat...but Zoolander.

I say this every year- I can't believe I watched the whole thing. Same old bullshit. Movies that tell us that things like child abuse is bad are the soppy-eyed favorites because...

"Movies. They inspire us, they touch our hearts. Blah blah blah."

Racism is quickly becoming about like the Red Scare. Speaking from a position of white male privilege I saw lots of diversity in nominees, presenters, performers, hosts and winners. Dude telling Chris Rock that his favorite movie was Superfly was great.

Mad Max sweeping the art direction awards was a surprise...thought for sure the frilly period dresses would win as they do every year. If you thought it had any chance of winning any of the top trophies...

Inarritu had somehow become a major filmmaker, but also a tremendously overrated one.

DiCaprio, fine. He's a good actor.

At least Cate Blanchett was as beautiful as ever, I love seeing her on awards shows. Truly elegant and stunning. Highlight of the show.

More
29 Feb 2016 08:55 #223507 by Black Barney
I was so happy Mad Max beat Cinderella for costumes. Seems like Oscar is growing up. Mad max won the most Oscars!!

Cate Blanchett's dress was awful.

Grid, I changed my best picture pick to Revenant at the last second. Dammit. Spotlight is the better movie, I'm mad at myself that I did that.

I thought it was the worst Oscar broadcast I've seen yet. Jokes fell flat and it was just boring and terrible.

Funniest upset was Sam Smith over Lady Gaga. Especially after her powerful performance and his was all off. They built all thismomentum for her to win and then she doesn't.

I think every clip they played from Room made my eyes well up.

Hope I win my pool...

More
29 Feb 2016 10:49 - 29 Feb 2016 10:52 #223518 by SuperflyPete
Replied by SuperflyPete on topic 2015 Oscar Nominations
What really rustles my jimmies about the Oscars is that it's 100% bulllshit politics. A decent movie that goes torch-and-pitchfork after something the "Hollywood elitist left" doesn't like will win 100 out of 100 times against a film that is great but either doesn't agree with their political sensibilities or "is just entertainment". Spotlight was a very good story, and could've won Best Screenplay easily; but there's no possible alternate universe where it wins Best Picture based on the totality of the film - casting through editing. No way does it beat Martian or Revenant, or Mad Max, for that matter. Or Star Wars. Or The Big Short.

That's why I played Diablo for most of the night versus watching the ultra rich give one another conratulatory handjobs and fingerblasts for making such "important films" that tackle such important subjects while doing not a fucking thing to solve any problems.

Best part of the night was the memorial and Leo telling everyone they had to go to the fucking Antarctic to find snow. That's fucked up.
Last edit: 29 Feb 2016 10:52 by SuperflyPete.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Msample

More
29 Feb 2016 10:56 - 29 Feb 2016 10:59 #223520 by SuperflyPete
Replied by SuperflyPete on topic 2015 Oscar Nominations

Michael Barnes wrote: Mad Max sweeping the art direction awards was a surprise...thought for sure the frilly period dresses would win as they do every year.

My two favorite things about this were the fact that if you huff paint, Hollywood will award you, and the costume designer who won walked down the aisle with a leather coat that was loaded with a Swarovski skull and an attitude of "fuck all you poncy cunts".

That was epic
oscar.go.com/news/winners/jenny-beavan-w...e-design-oscars-2016

Her speech could've been "I'd like to thank all you fucking wankers who are looking down your nose at me, while standing emptyhanded, because you've never won anything in your sad life."
Last edit: 29 Feb 2016 10:59 by SuperflyPete.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Msample

More
29 Feb 2016 11:39 #223524 by Grudunza
Replied by Grudunza on topic 2015 Oscar Nominations
The broadcast was a typical snooze. Chris Rock's monologue was great, but then, that probably should have been it for the diversity thing. And yet, that was the *whole* thing. I could see coming back once for the "black characters added into other scenes" thing. That was a funny idea, but none of the actual examples were funny.

I think Innaritu is a good director, and I loved Birdman and liked Revenant, but Fury Road was such an achievement. I know the more currently promoted Revenant had a lot of press about the difficulty of the shoot, but Fury Road easily equaled that, with failed development/filming attempts going back for like 10 years. There's something to be said for it winning the most total Oscars, and if his wife hadn't won for editing I'd have thrown something at the TV. But still, this was the time to honor Miller. Innaritu has decades ahead of him, and just won last year.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney, Gregarius

More
29 Feb 2016 13:49 #223531 by Msample
Replied by Msample on topic 2015 Oscar Nominations

SuperflyTNT wrote: What really rustles my jimmies about the Oscars is that it's 100% bulllshit politics. A decent movie that goes torch-and-pitchfork after something the "Hollywood elitist left" doesn't like will win 100 out of 100 times against a film that is great but either doesn't agree with their political sensibilities or "is just entertainment". Spotlight was a very good story, and could've won Best Screenplay easily; but there's no possible alternate universe where it wins Best Picture based on the totality of the film - casting through editing. No way does it beat Martian or Revenant, or Mad Max, for that matter. Or Star Wars. Or The Big Short.

That's why I played Diablo for most of the night versus watching the ultra rich give one another conratulatory handjobs and fingerblasts for making such "important films" that tackle such important subjects while doing not a fucking thing to solve any problems.

Totally agree. I go to the movies for escapism and entertainment. I don't go to listen to "a message" or some blowhard like Michael Moore try to get me to listen to something. I go to tune out the world, not have it rammed down my throat.

All hail Mad Max and the Doofwagen !

More
29 Feb 2016 13:58 #223532 by Disgustipater
My reaction to Leo's speech:

The following user(s) said Thank You: bfkiller, Msample, Black Barney

More
29 Feb 2016 14:29 #223535 by Michael Barnes
I'm 40 years old. My morals and my politics are sorted. I no longer need social justice entertainment to validate what I already personally believe in and stand against. I'm not impressed by self-aggrandizing "cause" films anymore. I understand that racism, sexism, homophobia, oppression and intolerance are bad. I understand that not everyone lives in a "first world" country. Pollution and environmental destruction is awful. Corporations are greedy and destructive. Man is sometimes awful to other man. The Holocaust was horrible and lots of people suffered unjustly. All of these things I do not need a film to tell me and I do not hold a film in higher regard just because it reinforced these morales. Preaching to the choir is boring.

TL;DR/Mad Max and Star Wars were the best films of 2015. Neither bent over backward to appease my liberal sensibilities.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shellhead

More
29 Feb 2016 15:12 #223536 by Shellhead
Replied by Shellhead on topic 2015 Oscar Nominations
I would like to brag about boycotting the Oscars last night, but in truth, I haven't watched the Oscars in nearly 20 years. And I stopped watching them because of the repetitive acceptance speeches. And while I do appreciate the concept of the Oscars being awarded based on peer recognition instead of box office receipts, I find the actual results to be more of an insider popularity contest. Which is likely true of other major awards like the Grammys. I have decided that it's okay for me to not give a shit.
The following user(s) said Thank You: wadenels

More
29 Feb 2016 15:18 #223537 by Shellhead
Replied by Shellhead on topic 2015 Oscar Nominations

Michael Barnes wrote: I'm 40 years old. My morals and my politics are sorted. I no longer need social justice entertainment to validate what I already personally believe in and stand against. I'm not impressed by self-aggrandizing "cause" films anymore. I understand that racism, sexism, homophobia, oppression and intolerance are bad. I understand that not everyone lives in a "first world" country. Pollution and environmental destruction is awful. Corporations are greedy and destructive. Man is sometimes awful to other man. The Holocaust was horrible and lots of people suffered unjustly. All of these things I do not need a film to tell me and I do not hold a film in higher regard just because it reinforced these morales. Preaching to the choir is boring.

TL;DR/Mad Max and Star Wars were the best films of 2015. Neither bent over backward to appease my liberal sensibilities.

I like what you're saying here. And I loved Fury Road, and liked Force Awakens more than I expected. But there are definitely people who saw both movies pushing social justice. I thought that Furiosa was an awesome character, but it's true that Max took a backseat role in Fury Road, as least compared to his first two movies. (He certainly got upstaged by those kids in Thunder Dome.) And while all previous Star Wars movies focused on a white main cast (aside from the traitorous Lando), Force Awakens made the two big new heroes a white female and a minority male. I agree that these movies weren't actively addressing social justice in terms of primary subject matter (well, maybe Fury Road was), the main casting choices were certainly a significant departure.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.186 seconds