October 09, 2023
2449 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2649 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk abut Movies & TV here. Just tell us what you have been watching. Have hyper-academic discussions on visual semiotics. Whatever, it's all good.

Bespin- Dagobah

More
05 Feb 2016 09:51 #221778 by edulis
Bespin- Dagobah was created by edulis
I am currently listening to the Star Wars radio dramas made back in the 1990s and I am on Empire Strikes Back. It got me thinking about how long Luke actually trained with Yoda. The time frame seems kind of out of whack, when compared with the Falcon crew. He goes there right after leaving Hoth and Han, Leia, and crew deal with the empire in the asteroids. The radio drama (and I think the movie) goes from Luke heading to Dagobah then the Falcon in asteroids back to Luke training, then back to the Falcon still in asteroids , back to Luke and so forth. How long do they hide out in the asteroids? Long enough to summon Bounty Hunters.. and then how long does the trip/ stay in Bespin take? Kind of seems like it all takes place in a few hours for the Falcon crew, but it must be longer to learn the ways of the Force for Luke. Of course Rey learns the force without training in seconds.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Feb 2016 10:26 #221787 by Michael Barnes
Replied by Michael Barnes on topic Bespin- Dagobah
There is a key to understanding any and all discrepancies and lapses of logic in Star Wars: laser swords.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Josh Look

More
05 Feb 2016 11:47 #221800 by OldHippy
Replied by OldHippy on topic Bespin- Dagobah
I remember when the LOTR movies were coming out I was teaching guitar for a living at this music school here in town. I would ask the kids what they liked better, Star Wars (many of them only knew the prequels) or LOTR. This one kid loved SW a lot more and this was only from seeing the prequels. I asked him why and he said:

"I like Star Wars because they have laser guns and laser swords and... oh, you know what would be cool, a gun that shoots laser swords!"

I knew the prequels were shit, but I also knew that this kid was pretty fucking cool for an eight year old and was going places in life. He 'got' Star Wars just fine.

More
05 Feb 2016 12:18 #221805 by edulis
Replied by edulis on topic Bespin- Dagobah
point taken.

More
05 Feb 2016 13:17 #221810 by SuperFlySwatter
Replied by SuperFlySwatter on topic Bespin- Dagobah
plus they had no fucking internet on dagobah (shit wifi coverage), the food sucked, the nightlife was non existent so there wasnt much else to do, I guess it was easy for him to go for the high intensity "montage" training method.

More
05 Feb 2016 14:25 #221817 by repoman
Replied by repoman on topic Bespin- Dagobah
Well if you need a logical explanation. The flight from the asteroid field to Bespin took a LONG time. The Falcon could "just about make it" without having a functional hyper drive. They just cut out all the boring scenes.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChristopherMD

More
05 Feb 2016 14:36 #221818 by Michael Barnes
The other day my daughter asked me if there was a potty on the Millenium Falcon.
The following user(s) said Thank You: metalface13, Black Barney

More
05 Feb 2016 14:57 - 05 Feb 2016 15:22 #221819 by Black Barney
Replied by Black Barney on topic Bespin- Dagobah
Originally, no. It's not a cruiser. You won't even have time to go to the bathroom on that bucket of bolts that made the Kessel Run in less than 14 12 parsecs.

Ben: DADDY!!! I NEED TO GO POODOO!!!
Han: Hey! Where's this anger coming from? Anyway, we're already here. Now let's go find a bathroom before the back of your trousers become the dark side.

It actually ended up being one of the "special modifications" they made after Chewie had one too many accidents.
Last edit: 05 Feb 2016 15:22 by Black Barney.

More
05 Feb 2016 17:10 #221834 by Michael Barnes
Chewbacca actually came up in that discussion. I asked them what they would do if they were out on a mission or something and Chewie had to pee. They decided that they would fly to Kashykk so he could relieve himself. But I told them that wasn't practical, so it was agreed on that they likely had an out-of-the-way corner where they had a pee-pee pad for him to use.

But this spun off into a bunch of questions about Star Wars characters' bathroom habits and facility availability. There was much debate as to whether Vader ever needs to go ("he's part robot", said River). And we discussed what happens when Kylo Ren finds that there is no TP...too late. Of course he trashes the bathroom. Which made me realize that Kylo had probably, at some point, taken a dump on the Millennium Falcon. Things you don't ever really think about...

But yeah, back to the OP...how long was that training? I've never really thought about it. Maybe it was some kind of crash course or something. Or they were in the same wibbly wobbly timey wimey vortex that Poe was in when he had a whole adventure, apparently, getting off Jakku in like 20 minutes.

More
05 Feb 2016 17:39 #221835 by mads b.
Replied by mads b. on topic Bespin- Dagobah
I think about that every time I watch Empire. Every time. It just seems so silly that Luke manages to be trained as a jedi in what amounts to at most a few days.

But I like the thought of the trip to Cloud City being long because of a defect hyper drive. That would maybe - maybe - give him weeks or even months on Dagobah.

More
05 Feb 2016 18:26 #221837 by Michael Barnes
Maybe when he got there he was like "Look dude, I don't have time for your 'he can not be trained' BS that you are known to pull, so let's keep that to a minimum. I need to hit the high points and get going. Expedite this shit."

And then he came back, Yoda died, and he felt guilty.

More
05 Feb 2016 18:45 #221838 by OldHippy
Replied by OldHippy on topic Bespin- Dagobah

Michael Barnes wrote: Kylo had probably, at some point, taken a dump on the Millennium Falcon. Things you don't ever really think about...

Family photo taken not long after said dump.

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChristopherMD, Black Barney, Columbob

More
05 Feb 2016 22:57 #221843 by Black Barney
Man... Carrie Fisher was quite the dish.

More
06 Feb 2016 03:52 #221847 by Ancient_of_MuMu
Replied by Ancient_of_MuMu on topic Bespin- Dagobah

mads b. wrote: I think about that every time I watch Empire. Every time. It just seems so silly that Luke manages to be trained as a jedi in what amounts to at most a few days.

But I like the thought of the trip to Cloud City being long because of a defect hyper drive. That would maybe - maybe - give him weeks or even months on Dagobah.

It is also something that has bugged me too so I have thought about it a bit. The other thing not mentioned yet that may have taken more time than is displayed is the capture and torture on Bespin. They could have been doing that for days, even weeks.

More
06 Feb 2016 09:30 #221851 by Black Barney
Interstellar says the answer to all these questions is Love.
The following user(s) said Thank You: SuperFlySwatter

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.215 seconds