October 09, 2023
2218 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2438 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk abut Movies & TV here. Just tell us what you have been watching. Have hyper-academic discussions on visual semiotics. Whatever, it's all good.

I Saw A Movie: Deadpool

More
27 Feb 2016 18:12 - 27 Feb 2016 22:55 #223454 by Mr. White
Not a film i wanted to see, but needed to pay a Social Tax.

Now, overall I felt about this the way KingPut did. I don't need to see it again, nor do I plan to view the sequel. Going into it I knew this wasn't going to be my type of movie simply because:

1) I don't find an endless stream of profanity or irreverence as humor.

2) X-men, the epitome of gang warfare comics, never really were my thing. I did enjoy the first two X-men films, but the only x-man I cared for (movie or comics) was Scott Summers, and I haven't seen any of the X-men films after he died.

3) I like R rated movies where the situation is adult or shitty and the characters have to make the best and/or survive. Examples would be Aliens, Mad Max, or horror films. I'm not into things with an R or MR rating because the main protagonist is an asshole. This is why I've never played games like Assassin's Creed, GTA, or God of War. I perceive those leads to be about like this.

So, I won't hold those above three items against this film because again this flick simply isn't for me and that's ok.

Where I do want to have a discussion is with the following:

[Maybe spoilers below]

1) Colossus - His inclusion was the bright spot of the film. He was it in so much this felt like a Marvel Team-Up comic and that was great. However, his character was completely undermined at the end of the film. For all his talk of being a hero and he simply stands around while Wade murders someone in cold blood. Wha...? Unfortunately, this just further highlights the gang culture of the x-series as there was no concern for justice or mercy...that other dude just was on the wrong side of the mutant line, so...eh *shrugs*. That was weak, IMO.

Also, unfortunate, was Wade's action here. Once Colossus started in on his Aunt May speech everyone knew what Deadpool was going to do. I was hoping the creatives where actually going to give us something unexpected and possibly redeeming about the character...nah...

And after all the carnage the Russian saw on the bridge and during that final conflict, _here_ he yacks?

Tell me again why Colossus wants this guy on their team? All that carnage on the bridge...was caused by Deadpool. How is Deadpool any different than, say, the Juggernaut? Does Colossus want _every_ mutant to live in the mansion...is that his deal? Otherwise, I'm not sure why this homicidal maniac gets this sort of pass. Sort his ass out I say.

2) Is Deadpool a mutant? This was never completely clear to me. Did he have a latent ability that was dormant until the torture? Or did the torture give him his powers? If he's not a mutant...again, why does Colossus want him around?

3) I've read some calling this the 'romance' superhero film. I guess like Ant-Man is the 'heist' superhero film or GotG was the 'space opera' superhero film. Balls. Romantic films by nature provide the tension and conflict through the romance. This was nothing more than another revenge/save the princes film with no romantic tension between the couple at all. Nerds are trying to give this more credit than it deserves.

4) I'm interested to see how the massive success of this plays out long term. With this, Batman v Superman, and Suicide Squad (and maybe Civil War) it's like we're in an Iron Age of superhero films. We need a Kingdom Come and Astro City to come around to eventually clean this up. However, the very Astro City like Ant-Man came out first, so the natural order appears all wrong. I dunno, maybe the ship will get corrected...or the genre will just die out (...not the worst thing).

I did find some bits funny, but none if it had to do with f-bombs or sex. The comments about the Taken series and such where pretty good.

Overall, again, this wasn't my type of film. I know Deadpool isn't supposed to be a super 'hero' per se, and I don't need all flicks tailored to my worldview, but there's a part of me that's disappointed the public is giving this as much cash as it's getting. I guess I like my tights more concerned with cleaning up and helping out their neighborhood (Spider-Man or DareDevil) rather than being cheered on for just being the biggest asshole on screen...
Last edit: 27 Feb 2016 22:55 by Mr. White.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChristopherMD, Sagrilarus

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 Feb 2016 23:32 #223459 by metalface13
Replied by metalface13 on topic I Saw A Movie: Deadpool
I haven't seen it, but I know Fox is already talking about making the next Wolverine movie "R" and more super hero movies to be "R." What annoys me the most is Hollywood's reactions to anything successful is to just try and replicate. "Well Deadpool was massively successful and it was R so let's make them all R and they will be a huge hit!" Well, Deadpool's character is tailored to be R, but that doesn't mean Wolverine has to be. Yes, his claws by their nature should mean lots of dismemberment and disemboweling but he's not as foul-mouthed, sarcastic, irreverent and dirty as Deadpool. I'm fine if some super hero movies are R, vulgar, sexual and violent, but that doesn't mean they all should be.
The following user(s) said Thank You: wadenels

More
28 Feb 2016 08:29 - 28 Feb 2016 08:30 #223465 by Sagrilarus
Replied by Sagrilarus on topic I Saw A Movie: Deadpool

Mr. White wrote: 3) I've read some calling this the 'romance' superhero film.

You read that in their marketing materials. They wanted to open the film up to the date-night audience, so that women would be more likely to see it. If what I heard on the radio is correct it was a late edition to their promotional concept.
Last edit: 28 Feb 2016 08:30 by Sagrilarus.

More
28 Feb 2016 08:32 #223466 by Sagrilarus
Replied by Sagrilarus on topic I Saw A Movie: Deadpool
This could have been an article too. There's been some good content on F:At recently, buried in the forums.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChristopherMD

More
28 Feb 2016 09:26 #223468 by Legomancer
Replied by Legomancer on topic I Saw A Movie: Deadpool

Mr. White wrote: Not a film i wanted to see, but needed to pay a Social Tax.

Can you elaborate on this? Do you mean that buddies wanted to see it and you went to be social?

More
28 Feb 2016 09:45 #223470 by Black Barney
I know exactly what he means by that. It's a tax I refuse to pay and I pay the consequences for it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mr. White

More
28 Feb 2016 16:45 #223486 by repoman
Replied by repoman on topic I Saw A Movie: Deadpool
Just got back from watching this and I have to agree with White's sentiments. It was ok but, good lord, the money and adoration this movie is getting from Nerdery is confusing. I have no connection with the character at all. He was introduced shortly after I cashed in my chips on comic books. He embodies a certain nihilism that I just can't get on board with.

That being said, there were a few chuckles for me but it was not the laugh riot I was led to expect.

Colossus serves only as a foil for Deadpool. The boy scout to DP's bad boy. His motivations are nonsensical. White is right in pointing out that Colossus should be working to stop DP rather than trying to recruit him to the X-men.

The massive amount of money this movie made will result in all super hero movies being more vulgar and more violent. The Grim-dark will now get grim-darker. Conversely, those movies that up to now tried to embody the joy of comics will get more genital/potty/13 year old boy humor.

I'd like to think that the super hero movie genre movie is at critical mass. That soon in will implode and make way for more creative and original material. But then, I think how long the Western was king at the box office, decades. Well, so be it. First run movies will continue to be remakes and reboots and sequels and prequels while the truly creative and new will continue to flourish on cable and streaming services.

Also, to answer the question, Deadpool was injected with a serum that coupled with "massive stress" would activate his latent mutant genes. It was not specified if all humans have them or he was selected because he has them.

More
29 Feb 2016 08:08 - 29 Feb 2016 08:20 #223503 by Mr. White
Replied by Mr. White on topic I Saw A Movie: Deadpool
I guess what I thought I knew about marvel mutants is that their power was something that manifested itself while the individual was a kid or teen. Wade, being a full adult, and not demonstrating any powers...I wonder what made that group think he had some latent ability?

EDIT: Barney is right. There was a member of the Casual Player's Club that I haven't been able to hang out with for a good while. He texted me at 9pm looking to go see a 10:25 showing. I had nothing better to offer at that time and would also happen to be free, so I went...not knowing when we'd get to hang out next. Beyond the movie, hanging out and catching up was great.
Last edit: 29 Feb 2016 08:20 by Mr. White.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

More
29 Feb 2016 10:00 #223512 by Columbob
Replied by Columbob on topic I Saw A Movie: Deadpool

Mr. White wrote: 3) I like R rated movies where the situation is adult or shitty and the characters have to make the best and/or survive. Examples would be Aliens, Mad Max, or horror films. I'm not into things with an R or MR rating because the main protagonist is an asshole. This is why I've never played games like Assassin's Creed, GTA, or God of War. I perceive those leads to be about like this.

That's a fairly broad sweep right there. I remember some pretty shitty characters in Aliens, for example. Don't remember too many assholes as the main protagonist of an Assassin's Creed game however, simply because that character has "assassin" on his resume.

More
29 Feb 2016 10:19 #223514 by Legomancer
Replied by Legomancer on topic I Saw A Movie: Deadpool

Columbob wrote:

Mr. White wrote: 3) I like R rated movies where the situation is adult or shitty and the characters have to make the best and/or survive. Examples would be Aliens, Mad Max, or horror films. I'm not into things with an R or MR rating because the main protagonist is an asshole. This is why I've never played games like Assassin's Creed, GTA, or God of War. I perceive those leads to be about like this.

That's a fairly broad sweep right there. I remember some pretty shitty characters in Aliens, for example. Don't remember too many assholes as the main protagonist of an Assassin's Creed game however, simply because that character has "assassin" on his resume.

Being an assassin doesn't preclude him being an asshole.

More
29 Feb 2016 10:34 - 29 Feb 2016 10:42 #223517 by Mr. White

Columbob wrote:

It totally is and I hoped I made that clear ("I perceive"). I have no idea how crappy the characters are or aren't in some of those video games. From what I know of the game's content, the character's occupations, etc I get the idea that they aren't the sort of blokes I pull for or would like to spend a lot of time with. So far as the movies, yeah, Burke was an ass in Aliens, but he's not the main character. We as an audience aren't invested in his take of the journey. Had Aliens been about Burke instead of Ripley I doubt it would be as enjoyable as it is.
Last edit: 29 Feb 2016 10:42 by Mr. White.

More
29 Feb 2016 11:35 #223523 by Shellhead
Replied by Shellhead on topic I Saw A Movie: Deadpool
I'm surprised the overall tone of remarks here. Fun-murdering left and right. Deadpool is not supposed to be taken as a serious movie, or even a serious action movie. It's just supposed to be fun and funny. Go ahead and judge whether you found it funny or not, but keep in mind that the humor may be particularly aimed at an age range of 18 to 35 or so.

I was never a fan of Deadpool in the comics. I didn't hate him, but the jokes didn't seem especially funny, and the constant pace of the jokes could get annoying. Somehow I did enjoy the movie. I think that the romantic interest helped ground the character a bit and make him somewhat more relatable. And timing is everything in comedy, and Ryan Reynolds had the right touch for delivering the humor in this movie. Some of the jokes fell flat for me, but that's true of every comedy that I've ever seen.

Did Deadpool need to be a rated-R movie? Yes, because otherwise the character would have been completely compromised by the loss of edginess and outrageousness. Should more upcoming comic book movies be rated R? I think it really depends on the subject matter. A movie featuring guys like Batman, Captain America, Superman or Spider-man should never be R-rated. These characters were created for kids, and forcing them into R-rated situations requires distorting the characters outside the parameters that made them popular in the first place. However, Suicide Squad is a good candidate for R-rated treatment, because it features only villains. And any movie based on Vertigo characters like John Constantine or Sandman is likely to lose too much of the stories by forcing them into a PG rating.

More
29 Feb 2016 11:47 - 29 Feb 2016 11:48 #223525 by Mr. White
Again, I thought I made my bias clear and made no attempt to fun murder. I fully understood this movie wasn't going to be for _me_ so left my personal quibbles out of the op.

The points of the flick I did want to talk about seems to get skipped over in the responses:

* The treatment of the Colossus character.
* Is Wade really a mutant?
* Is this really a romance flick?
* What will be the long term impact of this movie's success?

I'm fine if people enjoy it, it wasn't my bag, so hoped to have left general movie questions to discuss.

Seems like I wasn't as clear as I thought.
Last edit: 29 Feb 2016 11:48 by Mr. White.

More
29 Feb 2016 11:59 #223526 by mutagen
Replied by mutagen on topic I Saw A Movie: Deadpool
I don't read comic books, but I guess I don't see how DeadPool is any different a character from Wolverine. Both are hulking misanthropes who are seeking revenge on the dude that turned them into the ultimate badass. Both meander through life racking-up a huge body count. I guess one is more charismatic than the other? If Jean Luc wants one, why wouldn't he want the other? Why would Colossus be shocked at the behavior of one and not the other?

Frankly, the whole X-men premise makes me uncomfortable. Whenever I hear Jean Luc prattle on about mutant/human relations I can't help but feel that he really needs to be listening to helmet-head gandalf, because he is going to get those children of his killed.

More
29 Feb 2016 12:20 #223528 by Mr. White
re: Colossus, Wolverine, & Deadpool

(I suppose we're only going to refer to the film versions of characters in these threads.)

I think the difference between Wolverine and Deadpool is that we initially found Wolverine living in the wild, competing in cage matches, and apparently trying to tame his wild side. He didn't appear to be killing people...at least that we know of...and likely not joyfully.

Deadpool on the other hand is blowing people away with no care to collateral damage and having a grand old time.

They seem a bit different to me.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.187 seconds