October 09, 2023
2218 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2438 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk abut Movies & TV here. Just tell us what you have been watching. Have hyper-academic discussions on visual semiotics. Whatever, it's all good.

I Saw A Movie: Deadpool

More
29 Feb 2016 19:15 #223546 by wadenels
Replied by wadenels on topic I Saw A Movie: Deadpool

Mr. White wrote: Wade, being a full adult, and not demonstrating any powers...I wonder what made that group think he had some latent ability?

What makes you think I don't?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mr. White

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
01 Mar 2016 07:45 #223563 by JEM
Replied by JEM on topic I Saw A Movie: Deadpool
I thought they covered how Deadpool got his powers in the story. I'm not sure what more clarification is needed. They explained it step by step. It seems a peculiar aspect to hook onto as a complaint about the movie, and honestly as much as I enjoyed Ant Man, the plot had holes you could drive a scaled up Thomas the Tank Engine through, so it's par for the course.

I have the same reaction to games like GTA:V, but I didn't see the movie in the same way. The (later) GTA games and their ilk have a form of cynicism that itself insults and degrades the player/audience while purportedly entertaining them. Deadpool as a movie actually has a positive, optimistic outlook and I'm not sure that he killed more generic villains than John Wick ever did.

Wolverine R rated movie might be a good thing! I ran out of eye-roll in one X-Men movie when he chest punched some (just doing his job) guy in the chest with six adamantium claws and the guy fell bloodless to the ground for some sleepy-weepy time.

Maybe Colossus had eaten a bad chimichanga that day.

All this being said, Kick Ass (the first) was a better off-kilter super hero movie.

More
01 Mar 2016 12:58 #223573 by mutagen
Replied by mutagen on topic I Saw A Movie: Deadpool

I guess what I thought I knew about marvel mutants is that their power was something that manifested itself while the individual was a kid or teen. Wade, being a full adult, and not demonstrating any powers...I wonder what made that group think he had some latent ability?

Assuming for a second that mutant abilities of the x-men variety can and do have a genetic basis, this isn't an unreasonable assumption. For even simple genetic models, like Cystic Fibrosis, there are a 100 times more carriers than victims. For something as complex as seen in these movies, most of the non-mutant population would have to have at least some of the required genetic baggage, otherwise the probability of a mutant being produced would be effectively zero.

Crap. Now that I have used science to explain a comic book movie on a boardgame forum, I feel like I have unlocked some sort of uber nerd "achievement".

I would watch an R rated Wolverine movie. I much prefer films where I don't have to stare at a mask the whole damn time.

More
01 Mar 2016 15:24 #223581 by metalface13
Replied by metalface13 on topic I Saw A Movie: Deadpool
To clarify my statements a little, I'm fine with R-rated super hero movies. That's what some characters and stories merit. What I don't like is the movie studios attitudes of "well shucks this works, lets do it again!" Mostly because Fox has screwed up so much with the X-Men and Fantastic 4 movies they're grasping for anything that leads to success.

More
01 Mar 2016 17:03 #223586 by jpat
Replied by jpat on topic I Saw A Movie: Deadpool

metalface13 wrote: To clarify my statements a little, I'm fine with R-rated super hero movies. That's what some characters and stories merit. What I don't like is the movie studios attitudes of "well shucks this works, lets do it again!" Mostly because Fox has screwed up so much with the X-Men and Fantastic 4 movies they're grasping for anything that leads to success.

A movie Fox didn't want to make has already grossed over ten times its budget. I'm guessing "more of this, please."

I liked the movie alright. I'm way aged out of the target demo, and I don't see Deadpool as either particularly witty or (in 2016) a particularly effective critique or deconstruction of comic book heroes, but the movie has basically good to very good characters, and it has the decency to have comedy- rather than epic-style length and pacing. To be more affirmative, it's probably the kind of movie that studios should make a few more of (and used to make quite a lot of): the midbudget movie that's small enough to take some risks with (doesn't have to be a "tent pole") but big enough to avoid looking and seeming super cheap (even though this one comes pretty close, and even mines that for one of the better jokes).
The following user(s) said Thank You: Hex Sinister

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.130 seconds