October 09, 2023
2218 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2437 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk abut Movies & TV here. Just tell us what you have been watching. Have hyper-academic discussions on visual semiotics. Whatever, it's all good.

Ghostbusters 3 Trailer

More
04 Mar 2016 17:40 #223818 by Black Barney
Replied by Black Barney on topic Ghostbusters 3 Trailer
what's wrong with that Superbad trailer? I was laughing the entire time. Also, I'm very attracted to Becca

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Mar 2016 22:29 - 05 Mar 2016 22:40 #223835 by Mr. White
Replied by Mr. White on topic Ghostbusters 3 Trailer
I've thought about it a bit more the past few days, and not that it matters to anyone, but here are my more developed thoughts on this new Ghostbuster flick. Not sure why I've thought about it as much as I have...I enjoyed Ghostbusters as much as the next guy, but it wasn't one of my all-time favorites.

First, a pro. I like that there's a movie with several ladies going on an adventure that doesn't have anything to do with romance or getting guys. There needs to be more flicks with chicks hanging out and making things happen.

However, it's unfortunate how they've gone about it in this case. With this flick being a reboot, it opens itself up to a lot more criticism than it would had it only been a sequel A sequel continues the story and we can connect dots to see a progression. A reboot is an attempt to 'start over', to basically replace what was with this new thing. When you do that there has to be comparisons...is this new thing good enough to replace the old thing? So, since it is a reboot, we have to see how well it does standing up to the original.

* In GB '84, the ghosts didn't have self awareness to use slime as an attack. None of the ghost attacked that way, it was just a by product of coming in physical contact with them. No ghost set out to purposely 'slime' anyone. The fact that ghosts use slime as an offensive attack incorporates slime into the story in a way that wasn't done before. It feels more slap-sticky. Like this is an episode of You Can't Do That On Television. When Venhkman was slimed part of the laughs were from it being unintentional for both him and the ghost...almost as if he were accidentally relieved on.

* The original had some actual scares in it. It was a horror/comedy. The librarian, the taxi driver, the dog in the fridge, the hands in the chair. Several jumps or icks involved. The tone of this new trailer looks to be almost straight comedy looking a lot more similar to the Men in Black franchise rather than Ghostbusters.

* This goes to their equipment as well. These ladies look to be equipped with quite a range of high tech weapons. Far more than the rudimentary pest control and kitchen appliance tools Venhkman and company used. The GB '84 guys were very blue collar/up by their bootstraps kind of guys (after all, they didn't want to work in the private sector...). The equipment the women in this film seem to have give the impression they are either very heavily financed or what we'd expect as part of an established organization. Again, a more MiB feel than some folks trying work within a low budget. I'm sure this isn't the case for these ladies plot wise, but again this is why I think this movie is off the mark.

Granted all this dust up is only over the trailer, but again, I'd feel better about the whole endeavor if this were a sequel of sorts. Ok, some 30 years on ghosts manifesting themselves on earth have found new, aggressive ways to interact. Ok, 30 years of hauntings, ghostbusting technology has improved, etc. As a reboot of what was though? I dunno. It really does feel more Men in Black than Ghostbusters.
Last edit: 05 Mar 2016 22:40 by Mr. White.

More
05 Mar 2016 23:24 #223840 by wadenels
Replied by wadenels on topic Ghostbusters 3 Trailer
It looks terrible on several levels. The most offending being the complete typecasting of what otherwise seem to be talented actresses, the complete lack of originality, and... well... the upgraded effects aren't actually doing the ghosts any favours.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.122 seconds