October 09, 2023
2220 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2440 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk abut Movies & TV here. Just tell us what you have been watching. Have hyper-academic discussions on visual semiotics. Whatever, it's all good.

Ghostbusters 3 Trailer

More
03 Mar 2016 16:57 #223723 by metalface13
Replied by metalface13 on topic Ghostbusters 3 Trailer
I think you guys are missing the addition of proton pistols. Also, synths are back, Jeb.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Mar 2016 17:05 #223724 by jeb
Replied by jeb on topic Ghostbusters 3 Trailer

Josh Look wrote: Not trying to sell anyone on it or change their minds...just bringing attention to the fact that this shit ain't easy.

I totally agree. Trailers can be high art--you get it right and it's a game changer. A movie like this is going to make a zillion dollars automatically, so I am pretty sure the trailer is getting the "pff, fuck it" treatment at Sony. Given that, though, they could have done almost anything else to make this better. GHOSTBUSTERS is a known quantity--you don't need to tell us they bust ghosts and save NYC. Like, no shit.

Comedy is tough to sell without giving away the jokes. You can handle this by juxtaposing serious narration with goofy pratfalls, a la SLEEPER

You can go off topic, like COMEDIAN

You can work blue, like SUPERBAD

Or high concept, like A SERIOUS MAN

It's like they gave up. I am going to guess there were about forty levels of approval on the trailer edit. Death by committee.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

More
03 Mar 2016 18:57 #223729 by Michael Barnes
I can assure you that neither Sony nor the folks that cut this trailer at any point said "fuck it, it's going to make money anyway". This is a very high profile, very big budget tentpole film with renewed franchise potential. This trailer had to a) satisfy fans of the original property b) satisfy people who have no idea what the Ghostbusters are or that have not seen the original, almost 30 year old films and c) satisfy the fucking internet.

In other words, it is a can't win situation.

For group 1, nothing short of endless homages, on-the-nose call-outs, obscure references and cameos would do. It has to look, sound and play exactly like the Ghostbusters of three decades ago complete with the Busboys song and puppet FX.

For group 2, broad comedy, big modern FX, popular stars and Chris Hemsworth's abs are the attraction moreso than nostalgia.

For group 3, there is no possible way to satisfy group 3 because they hate everything and run any and everything into the ground with a fucking dogpile/herd mentality that forecloses on anything being good before it has a chance to prove itself.

That said, I think it did a pretty good job of connecting group 1 and group 2. Group 3 can go fuck itself, which should be the opinion of anyone making a trailer or any other kind of creative media.

Of course I don't think this looks like one of the Great Films of Our Time, it looks like a fun update to a cool concept. It will probably fall somewhere between meh and hugely entertaining. I'm willing to give it a chance because I like Ghostbusters and I think a new angle on it is a good idea rather than a direct sequel. Remember when they made Another 48 Hours like ten years later and nobody really cared? This film risks that. But the gap is greater, and generationally a film structured, written, edited and filmed like Ghostbusters does not work in 2016.

I've seen some of the negativity out there toward this today and it's one of those things where I'm just like "what the hell do you people want, anyway?"
The following user(s) said Thank You: Msample, Josh Look

More
03 Mar 2016 19:04 #223730 by jeb
Replied by jeb on topic Ghostbusters 3 Trailer

Michael Barnes wrote: I've seen some of the negativity out there toward this today and it's one of those things where I'm just like "what the hell do you people want, anyway?"

Comedies to be funny? We're crazy that way.

More
03 Mar 2016 19:30 #223735 by Hex Sinister
Replied by Hex Sinister on topic Ghostbusters 3 Trailer
I forgot how much I love Sleeper.

More
03 Mar 2016 19:51 - 03 Mar 2016 19:51 #223738 by Sevej
Replied by Sevej on topic Ghostbusters 3 Trailer
No asian! And if one of them isn't lesbian I'm going to kill someone! Blarg!

Cool trailer. My wife's gonna dig this. She's a Taxi fan.
Last edit: 03 Mar 2016 19:51 by Sevej.
The following user(s) said Thank You: SuperflyPete

More
03 Mar 2016 19:59 - 03 Mar 2016 20:02 #223739 by Mr. White
Replied by Mr. White on topic Ghostbusters 3 Trailer

Michael Barnes wrote: I've seen some of the negativity out there toward this today and it's one of those things where I'm just like "what the hell do you people want, anyway?"

Easy. A quality, original film.

There's plenty to beef about this trailer, and if true, the whole concept.

1) If this is a complete reboot, then why does the first half of the trailer tell us all about the original film 30 years ago. That's makes no sense...

2) Beyond that intro being non-sensical, it was totally unnecessary. Ghostbusters is still very much in people's memory. There have been recent toys, video games, lego sets...heck 'Who You Gonna Call?" is still very much part of the vernacular. It's like the people saying Episode VII needed to 'win back fans'. No it didn't. The steady diet of merch says otherwise. Ghostbusters isn't on the level of Star Wars, but we need no reminder.

3) If it is a reboot, at least tell a somewhat different tale. This, from the trailer, looks like almost the same movie. Let me guess....Uncle Sam from the recruitment posters was the first thing that popped into one of the characters head? Switching up the genders doesn't freshen up the tale if everything else is all the same stuff.

The thing about these sort of reboot sequels is that George Miller just laid out the playbook...and no one has paid attention. Not JJ Abrams and not the folks who are making this film. Fury Road isn't full of callbacks and reshoots. It's a film set in the same universe and setting as previous Mad Max films, but - get this - totally stands on it's own as not only a fantastic, original film, but one that doesn't pander to anyone. hardcore fans or casuals. He did't throw in a gyrocopter pilot, a wild boy, etc.

You want to know what we want? Good movies like Fury Road.
Last edit: 03 Mar 2016 20:02 by Mr. White.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shellhead, jeb, ChristopherMD, Black Barney

More
03 Mar 2016 20:14 - 03 Mar 2016 20:15 #223742 by MacDirk Diggler
OFirst of all, the music in the trailer is the Ghostbusters theme written by Ray Parker. Busboys did a song in the original that is much less recognizable called Cleaning Up this Town and I doubt they reprise it in the sequel.

It's troubling that Hollywood seems to have latched onto the idea that the best way to reboot any franchise is to switch the gender of the lead or in the case of Creed, the race. I am ok with that as long as they don't get lazy with it and think that's enough, all else that needs to be done is to follow the formula. Not all reboots follow the formula as Mr. White already mentioned.

But for me, when they rolled out the hearse it was a clear case of nostalgia pandering and them figuring exactly what beats they had to hit from the original for people to get all warm and fuzzy thinking this would be like going home (similar to what they did with Chewy and Solo in Force trailer).
Last edit: 03 Mar 2016 20:15 by MacDirk Diggler.

More
03 Mar 2016 20:18 - 03 Mar 2016 20:20 #223743 by MacDirk Diggler
Last edit: 03 Mar 2016 20:20 by MacDirk Diggler.

More
03 Mar 2016 20:29 #223744 by jason10mm
Replied by jason10mm on topic Ghostbusters 3 Trailer

Mr. White wrote: The thing about these sort of reboot sequels is that George Miller just laid out the playbook....He did't throw in a gyrocopter pilot, a wild boy, etc.

The hell he didn't. The Max from Fury Road WAS the wild boy.

And this trailer convinced me to not see the film. I've already seen a film with Melissa McCArthy, thus I've seen this film apparently.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

More
03 Mar 2016 21:40 - 03 Mar 2016 21:42 #223746 by Mr. White

jason10mm wrote:

Mr. White wrote: The thing about these sort of reboot sequels is that George Miller just laid out the playbook....He did't throw in a gyrocopter pilot, a wild boy, etc.

The hell he didn't. The Max from Fury Road WAS the wild boy.

Ha! I thought George came out and confirmed it was not the same character.

But anyway back to Ghostbusters and Jeb's very valid point. This movie doesn't look to bring anything new to the franchise or universe. All the same beats, characters, and situations. The Fury Road comparison works because it's also a reboot/sequel to a franchise that hadn't seen a film in 30 years. But again, George didn't just revisit all the MM 1-3 storyboards...he made up completely new situations, characters, phrases and mythos and yet at the same time rebooted the franchise. Why are these other creatives unable to do anything remotely similar? To me it feels cynical towards their audience...I'll pass.
Last edit: 03 Mar 2016 21:42 by Mr. White.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb, ChristopherMD, Sagrilarus

More
03 Mar 2016 22:41 #223751 by Sagrilarus
Replied by Sagrilarus on topic Ghostbusters 3 Trailer
It looks fearful to me. Stick to the same characters, the same story, the same theme music. Play it safe. Don't piss off the stakeholders. Miller used the same setting, but that's about it. He created a new culture for Fury Road. New characters, new story. New music. A new look.

It may turn out to be a good comedy. But it's not going to break new ground. The original changed the state of the art.

More
04 Mar 2016 09:10 #223759 by Legomancer
Replied by Legomancer on topic Ghostbusters 3 Trailer
Christ, I don't think anyone was expecting the movie to cure cancer. It looks like fun. I haven't seen the original GB in years, and I sure liked it when it came out, but I guess I was too young at the time to remember how it unified the Middle East and filled the hearts of all men with dignity and respect. It was a pretty fun movie.
The following user(s) said Thank You: SuperflyPete, Frohike

More
04 Mar 2016 09:20 #223760 by Mr. White
You're in luck!

If you don't want to simply re-watch GB '84, it appears like you'll get to experience the same thrills this summer with an exciting new cast!

More
04 Mar 2016 13:31 #223789 by SuperflyPete
Replied by SuperflyPete on topic Ghostbusters 3 Trailer
I was in when I saw Melissa "It's coming out of me like lava" McCarthy was in it.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.263 seconds