October 09, 2023
2218 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2437 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk abut Movies & TV here. Just tell us what you have been watching. Have hyper-academic discussions on visual semiotics. Whatever, it's all good.

Top 5 Vampire Movies

More
11 Mar 2016 22:15 - 11 Mar 2016 22:16 #224214 by SuperflyPete
Replied by SuperflyPete on topic Top 5 Vampire Movies
Oh: with regard to Daywatch/Nightwatch, I hated them. Well, disliked perhaps. It wasn't the "Russian" I hated, it was that the dialogue was boring. It never fleshed out the mythology in an interesting way. Maybe I was just frustrated.

Aeilita (sp?), Solaris, Stalker, Prix' Inquest...and the upcoming Hardcore Henry even...Russian flicks to the core, and infinitely better than those two. I love how throughout the time you can watch old Soviet films and now watch new ones...the creative expression is night and day. It's like they finally were allowed to make films that weren't kind of pigeonholed by ideology.

Stalker is still one of my favorite films of all time.

Edit: there was a film about 5-7 years back set in Moscow, about invisible aliens that were electric fields or some shit ... It was widely panned (for cause) but I couldn't help but feel like it channeled Metro. So I kind of dug it.
Last edit: 11 Mar 2016 22:16 by SuperflyPete.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Mar 2016 23:37 #224219 by Michael Barnes
Replied by Michael Barnes on topic Top 5 Vampire Movies
Whoa now, let's not compare Solaris or Stalker to Nightwatch/Daywatch...totally unfair. Tarkovsky is the greatest Russian filmmaker and those are two of the best, most profound films ever made.

Tarkovsky was very much making the films he wanted even under Communism...he was hugely controversial at the time, always challenging the censorship.

Wait, how did this get to be about Tarkovsky?

More
12 Mar 2016 11:30 - 12 Mar 2016 11:32 #224224 by SuperflyPete
Replied by SuperflyPete on topic Top 5 Vampire Movies
Hey, you said you liked the -watch movies because they were "so Russian" (among other things, I presume). I really want to see Hardcore Henry. I've been a Biting Elbows fan for a long time...so this is going to be epic.

Last edit: 12 Mar 2016 11:32 by SuperflyPete.

More
13 Mar 2016 23:12 #224268 by Columbob
Replied by Columbob on topic Top 5 Vampire Movies
There's been a Witcher tv series over in Poland some years back (ok, 2002), I wonder if he took on any vampires on screen, considering he meets a few of them in the books. As with the "russian-ness" of Nightwash, I loved the Eastern European-tinged folklore behind the monsters Geralt meets and slays.

His take on vampires is interesting to say the least.

More
14 Mar 2016 09:33 #224285 by Shellhead
Replied by Shellhead on topic Top 5 Vampire Movies
I haven't seen Night Watch or Day Watch, but I recently read both books, and currently reading the third book, Twilight Watch. There is also a Final Watch and New Watch. They're okay. The supernatural elements are either cliché (vampires and werewolves) or vague and underdeveloped (the mages, witches and Twilight). The whole Watch setup seems like an elaborate and obvious metaphor for the Cold War, only instead of a peace enforced by mutual assured destruction, there is a neutral Inquisition that will take one side if the other side ever gets out of hand. The best part of the stories are the occasional wry insights into human nature, though there are other times when I can't quite fathom a character's motivation because of the cultural differences. The author rarely describes the characters in detail and I have a little trouble keeping the Russian names straight.

There is one somewhat obscure vampire movie that I haven't seen mentioned in this thread, The Breed. The star is Adrian Paul, though arguably the City of Budapest is practically a co-star. Bai Ling (The Crow) and Reed Diamond (Homicide: Life on the Streets) also appear. The movie is not very good overall, but it is a visually appealing movie. Great sets, good costumes, a couple of decent songs, and tons of goth atmosphere. Several of the vampires appear to be based on specific White Wolf archetypes. However, there were two interesting deviations from the usual vampire movie. First, this is an alternate Earth where apparently some kind of Nazi-type regime won the war and conquered Europe or possibly the whole world. It isn't overt, but there are huge banners and military uniforms abound, and the police operate with an absence of concern for civil rights. Second, vampires are out in the open, as a known but not altogether accepted minority group. There is a Chinatown equivalent neighborhood where many of the vampires live. In fact, The Breed is a cop buddy movie, where one of the two cops is a vampire. Unfortunately, the movie is undermined by some weak performances and some absolutely terrible wire work in one key action scene.

More
14 Mar 2016 18:38 #224342 by Turek
Replied by Turek on topic Top 5 Vampire Movies

Columbob wrote: There's been a Witcher tv series over in Poland some years back (ok, 2002).

Do not try to watch it, its unbelievably bad.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Columbob

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.163 seconds