October 09, 2023
2220 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2440 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk abut Movies & TV here. Just tell us what you have been watching. Have hyper-academic discussions on visual semiotics. Whatever, it's all good.

Indiana Jones 5

More
16 Mar 2016 18:39 - 16 Mar 2016 18:41 #224493 by Sagrilarus
Replied by Sagrilarus on topic Indiana Jones 5
I saw Crystal Skull on DVD and it was a schnauzzer. If you want to tell me I'm saying that to be trendy so be it. I ain't exactly tuned in to the Holloywood hype machine.

I really enjoyed John Carter of Mars, so I think I'm indemnified.

Old is the new young Al because baby boomers still think they deserve everything. Should come to an end in about 30 years when the last of them are dead.

S.
Last edit: 16 Mar 2016 18:41 by Sagrilarus.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 Mar 2016 20:02 - 16 Mar 2016 22:06 #224498 by MacDirk Diggler
Replied by MacDirk Diggler on topic Indiana Jones 5
Sorry, I am only including this video snippet to help explain why Crystal Skull is so poorly regarded. It has decent enough critic scores on Metacritic and Rotten Tomatoes. Surprisingly the audience score is lower. Josh, don't watch this. I saw Crystal Skull on cable and was not for me... but I don't like 80% of superhero movies or Fast and Furious either.

It seems likely given the success of reboots of Mad Max and Star Wars (maybe Ghostbusters), not to mention the Divergent and Hunger Games box office $$$. There will be a female co-lead that kicks as much ass as the male lead. Hollywood is on a roll with women led action movies, why would they break the formula?

I am looking forward to a JAWS remake with Melissa McCarthy as the shark.
Last edit: 16 Mar 2016 22:06 by MacDirk Diggler.

More
16 Mar 2016 20:03 #224499 by jeb
Replied by jeb on topic Indiana Jones 5
Cuz she's fat, right? Ha ha, I get it! #fat

More
16 Mar 2016 20:05 - 16 Mar 2016 20:07 #224500 by MacDirk Diggler
No. Because she is in more movies than almost anyone not named Paul Rudd. And she would make a better shark than Judy Dench or Alicia Vikander would.

Dench could put a good turn on Robert Shaw's crusty old sea captain though.
Last edit: 16 Mar 2016 20:07 by MacDirk Diggler.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb

More
16 Mar 2016 20:39 - 16 Mar 2016 20:39 #224506 by ChristopherMD
Replied by ChristopherMD on topic Indiana Jones 5
Honestly, Crystal Skull suffers from the same problem with me as Temple and Crusade. I like half the parts of the movie and don't like the other half. Which means I don't really like any of the sequels. Raiders I like everything.

Not a knock on the new movie, but I'd prefer they did a new Young Indiana Jones tv series. One of those high-production 10 episodes shows.
Last edit: 16 Mar 2016 20:39 by ChristopherMD.

More
16 Mar 2016 22:03 #224508 by jason10mm
Replied by jason10mm on topic Indiana Jones 5
I want a "Rebels/Clone Wars" type animated show with a young (post-doc era) IJ. Have a young Asian kid (the guy who dies in Club Obiwan from ToD) as the child aspect (those types of shows always have them). Lets see Prof Ravenswood, a plucky Marion, Belloque, etc. Not a "famous real life figure" each week, but a good pulp action show. Get us used to more Indy, then have a theatrical live action reboot spring from that.
The following user(s) said Thank You: bfkiller

More
16 Mar 2016 22:56 #224510 by SebastianBludd
Replied by SebastianBludd on topic Indiana Jones 5
It's not complicated why Crystal Skull wasn't very good: the CGI effects looked like crap and Shia LaBeouf was a poor choice. I'm with Gary in that there are a lot of good ideas but they were executed poorly.

At this point I don't even know how you make a satisfying Indiana Jones sequel. In Raiders you have Hitler, on the cusp of starting WWII, trying to obtain a legitimate biblical superweapon. Anything that follows will have a hard time measuring up to that.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, bfkiller

More
16 Mar 2016 23:10 #224511 by Sevej
Replied by Sevej on topic Indiana Jones 5
God I can't stand LaBeouf. He seems to be too... wimpy?

More
17 Mar 2016 09:00 #224516 by SuperflyPete
Replied by SuperflyPete on topic Indiana Jones 5
I liked Crystal skull.

People forget that Indiana Jones is an homage to things like Doc Savage...old pulp rags. It was over the top (nuked fridge, aliens, etc) and perfect for what it was. The execution was off a bit, but still entertaining. And John Williams....was John Williams.

Looking forward to the fifth incarnation. Very interested in seeing who takes the reins for the good Dr. Jones, Junior.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kailes

More
17 Mar 2016 16:24 #224549 by jay718
Replied by jay718 on topic Indiana Jones 5

engineer Al wrote: Old is the new young? I'm in!

"Indy, throw me the walker!"

Raiders of the Lost AARP!
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb, wadenels

More
17 Mar 2016 19:31 #224555 by Tim Champlin
Replied by Tim Champlin on topic Indiana Jones 5
I love the original trilogy. Raiders is one of my all time favorite movies but ToD and Crusade both are spot on for me. I like a lot of parts in KotCS but I really dislike Shia LaBeouf. The aliens at the end didn't bug me really.

Here's my take on Indy 5. Spielberg, if you're reading this, take note. I agree that Dr. Jones needs someone with him that can do some of the more heavy lifting and action sequences. Solution? Himself when he's younger. In the 60's or whenever it would take place, Indy finds some kind of ancient artifact that transports him back in time. He meets himself when he's younger and they do some kind of adventure together. This way the movie could take place in a more interesting time period with Nazis or something, and there could be some kind of old guy, young guy relationship like in the last crusade but old Indy knows how to fight so it would be cooler. If it takes place before the original trilogy it would make more sense to have a different actor play younger Indy since they kind of imply in Raiders and Temple that he's well seasoned.
Oh yeah, and Mutt gets killed in the first 5 minutes.

More
17 Mar 2016 19:44 - 17 Mar 2016 19:45 #224558 by Michael Barnes
Replied by Michael Barnes on topic Indiana Jones 5
Whoa buddy, you put time travel in there and people will lose they damn minds, as they say. Probably just a little too outside the more down to earth elements of the series.

Of course, if you're going to have God and aliens...

Temple of Doom is another one that I don't understand the dislike for...I think it is an unusually mean movie, but you know, a lot of that old pulp stuff like Doc Savage, the Sax Rohmer stuff, etc. wasn't really very nice. I can assure you that when I was watching it in the theater when I was nine, I fucking loved it and didn't bat an eye when the lifeboat saved them. Last Crusade I thought was almost as good as Raiders- not as iconic, sure, but I enjoyed it about as much.

Funny story. When Raiders came out I was 6. My mom and dad were going to take me to see it, but I decided I wanted to go to my Grandma's instead. So they went without me. Then I got the book and record, because they thought I would like the story (and VCRs weren't a thing really yet). So I read it like 20 times and there was this picture where Indy is chasing the truck on horseback. He's got his head down, so you can't see his face. I somehow knew that someone's head got chopped off, and so I thought "OMG, Indiana Jones gets his head cut off!" I asked this kid at school who had seen it, and he told me this elaborate story about how there's this scene with a mummy that cuts off Indy's head and that picture in the book and record is where he is chasing the mummy that has his head. My mind was blown, because it just made no sense. I would literally sit and try to figure out how that all was even possible. So my parents wound up taking me to see it, and I sat there the whole time waiting for this god damned mummy to tear off Indiana Jones' head.

Maybe there is a story idea in there, lurking Mr. Spielberg.
Last edit: 17 Mar 2016 19:45 by Michael Barnes.
The following user(s) said Thank You: bfkiller, Cranberries, wadenels

More
17 Mar 2016 20:06 - 17 Mar 2016 20:11 #224560 by MacDirk Diggler
Indy travels back in time and meets himself? No way. If you think the refridgerator radiation shield caused a shitstorm of controversy.... Have you never heard of the Butterfly Effect? He would change the whole future of mankind with one footstep.

Barnes, I wish I could remember half as much from when I was 36 as you do from when you were 6.
Last edit: 17 Mar 2016 20:11 by MacDirk Diggler.

More
17 Mar 2016 22:06 #224561 by Shellhead
Replied by Shellhead on topic Indiana Jones 5
My dad took me to say Raiders of the Lost Ark, even though he disliked most movies. When that scene with all the snakes happened, I thought that my dad might identify more closely with Jones based on their shared phobia of snakes. Nope, my dad quickly retreated to the lobby to smoke a couple of cigarettes before returning to his seat. He didn't even catch the classic line, "Why did it have to be snakes?"

More
17 Mar 2016 22:07 #224562 by Sagrilarus
Replied by Sagrilarus on topic Indiana Jones 5
I think Last Crusade is magnificent. Temple of Doom is a B+. I haven't seen it since it came out though. I should watch all three again.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.518 seconds