October 09, 2023
2499 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2703 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk abut Movies & TV here. Just tell us what you have been watching. Have hyper-academic discussions on visual semiotics. Whatever, it's all good.

Batman, mass murderer.

More
23 Mar 2016 16:29 - 23 Mar 2016 16:33 #224753 by Josh Look
Batman kills tons of dudes in reality and uses a gun in a dream sequence in BvS (I've read full spoilers and reviews since I have no intention on seeing it). Zack Snyder's justification? So that it seems believable when he goes to fight Superman.

He gets this stuff, see? He really GETS this stuff! Go line his fucking pockets now.
Last edit: 23 Mar 2016 16:33 by Josh Look.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChristopherMD, Black Barney, Varys

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Mar 2016 16:43 #224755 by Joebot
Replied by Joebot on topic Batman, mass murderer.
Did you see his interview when he defended the fact that thousands of people died in Man of Steel due to Superman's actions? He basically said, "Yeah, well, The Force Awakens had five planets blow up, which is way more people and everybody loved that, so pfffftttt."

What Snyder perhaps failed to recognize is that those planets were blown up by the BAD GUYS.

The reviews I've read on AV Club and Comic Book Resources were pretty scathing. I still can't believe DC handed the keys to the kingdom over to that d-bag Snyder.

More
23 Mar 2016 16:44 #224756 by Michael Barnes
From Peter Travers' review in Rolling Stone:

"Dawn of Justice is a colossus, the stuff that DC Comics dreams are made of for that kid in all of us who yearns to see Batman and Superman suit up and go in for the kill."

Ummmmmmm...unless that's some kind of meta-comment or a coded reference to how much this movie doesn't understand that Batman and Superman DON'T "go in for the kill", I don't even know what to say about it.

IGN's review warned to approach it more as an extension of Snyder's Watchmen. GRRRRRREAT. Will do. I'll assume it's a longer, more painful turd.

Everything about this movie just looks like garbage, and the positive comments I've seen are either from people that were likely dazzled at seeing a big movie at an early screening or from people that are giving VERY qualified, VERY guarded reviews.

But hey, how about that Civil War trailer! Spider-Man looks GREAT! And he got jokes!
The following user(s) said Thank You: southernman, Gary Sax

More
23 Mar 2016 16:56 #224757 by Josh Look
Replied by Josh Look on topic Batman, mass murderer.
Last time I checked, Batman didn't even go in for the kill in Dark Knight Returns. He fights Superman out of self defense.

I think this proves that you really can't take anything from that story out of context. It's such an extreme Batman story, you can't just take and use what you want from it. You'll only fuck it up and make something that makes zero sense.

Not to blow my own horn or anything, but I've done some stuff I'm mighty proud of due to growing up a Batman fan, volunteering to do things that help people, like becoming a Big Brother for example. I know people are saying not to bring kids to this movie, but you know it will happen. Bums me out to know that this will be the introduction to Batman that some kids will have.
The following user(s) said Thank You: southernman, Varys

More
23 Mar 2016 17:17 #224760 by Michael Barnes
And he when he kills the Joker it feels tragic, desperate and almost like more of a defeat than a victory. I remember reading that in '86 and it was genuinely shocking and disturbing. But it was also, like you said, in the context of that particular story. It's an emotional, Manichean apocalypse. I'm sure Snyder read that and pumped his fist "yeah dude, Batman fucked him up!"

It is sad that a lot of kids are going to come into seeing Batman as a violent, hateful monster...he's not even that in TDKR. It's nowhere near what Nolan did, which is to show that Bruce Wayne made choices with serious consequences and they were all for good. And it's a far cry from what Morrison was suggesting in his run, that Batman is the "optimal man".

Frankly, I'm kind of tired of the "psycho" Batman- which is one of the reasons I liked Morrison's take so much. And that was also what made Damian Wayne such an interesting foil, because he really was (at first) a psycho. Part of the story is that Batman teaches him to be moral and conscientious.

More
23 Mar 2016 17:33 #224767 by ChristopherMD
I disliked what he did with Superman so much that I had no intention of seeing this anyways.

Fool me once...
The following user(s) said Thank You: Josh Look, Gregarius

More
23 Mar 2016 18:34 - 23 Mar 2016 18:40 #224772 by SuperflyPete
Replied by SuperflyPete on topic Batman, mass murderer.
Batman has ALWAYS used guns and killed people.

To think that the Adam West, pussified version of The Bat is accurate or representative of him, you're deluded.

He did have a sort of "moment of clarity" and now has a no guns rule, so to speak, but he's set his morals aside all throughout his career.
Last edit: 23 Mar 2016 18:40 by SuperflyPete.

More
More
23 Mar 2016 19:48 #224775 by Josh Look
Look, I'm kind of an authority on Bats, and I'm pretty sure most people here would stand behind my claim. That article is, frankly, completely full of shit. Not entirely wrong, but most of it falls into the "doesn't count" category.

Ok, so the Golden Age (before comics had such a thing as depth to characters and writers realized it that a guy this traumatized by the death of his parents would logically despise the very instrument of their deaths), two nods to the Golden Age, a video game (which I can confirm was non-lethal use), a film by a director who had no fucking clue what to do with the character, two movies where, again, non-lethal use, and one where is was an act of complete desparation, and his use of a gun was clearly not meant to be taken lightly. Of those examples only 2 of them I would consider cannon, and at this point, I'm not sure if the Golden Age counts. The vast majority of the characters history stands by a "no guns, no killing" policy, and in this case, it's either the work of someone who doesn't get it or is referencing something incorrectly.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shellhead

More
23 Mar 2016 20:03 - 23 Mar 2016 20:05 #224776 by Josh Look
And as for definitive version of Batman? No, not Adam West, though I acknowledge its place. No, the definitive Batman is the Animated Series. Grant Morrison's is close, but very meta.
Last edit: 23 Mar 2016 20:05 by Josh Look.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Michael Barnes, Shellhead, allismom3, JEM, Varys

More
23 Mar 2016 20:04 #224777 by Michael Barnes
There was an Elseworlds story where Batman was a pirate. But that does not mean that he is always a pirate and the character is not defined by being a pirate.

Like Jesus, Batman is open to interpretation and there have been many different interpretations over the character's history. Some of which have had lasting impact and have become part of canonical identity. Others- including a lot of earlier work where Batman was hanging crooks and blowing up "Japs"- have been largely jettisoned.

It is worth noting that with a few minor deviations (such as killing Joker in DKR), the best, most successful, most influential, and most popular interpretations are across the board a no killing/no guns hero.

More
23 Mar 2016 20:09 #224778 by Josh Look
Really, he doesn't quite kill Joker in DKR. He starts to, has this, "Wait, what the hell am I doing moment," and the stops. Joker finishes it for him. Powerful moment for sure, but it's an extreme Batman story.

There's also a part in DKR after takes over the mutant gang, takes one of their guns and snaps it in half. He says "This is the tool of the enemy. We do not need it. We shall not use it. A gun is a coward's weapon...a liar's weapon." One of my favorite moments in comics history.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gregarius, Mantidman

More
23 Mar 2016 20:10 #224779 by Michael Barnes
Also, without Adam West, Batman would likely have the mainstream cultural resonance of Aquaman.
The following user(s) said Thank You: MacDirk Diggler

More
23 Mar 2016 20:37 #224781 by boothwah
Replied by boothwah on topic Batman, mass murderer.
Guns....no guns......Honestly, not even the most controversial Batman convo...

More
23 Mar 2016 20:37 #224782 by stoic
Replied by stoic on topic Batman, mass murderer.
If Synder doesn't have giant blue swinging dicks in this new movie, then I'm on-board with B v. S, abbreviated as "B.S."

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 1.036 seconds