October 09, 2023
2291 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2508 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk abut Movies & TV here. Just tell us what you have been watching. Have hyper-academic discussions on visual semiotics. Whatever, it's all good.

Batman, mass murderer.

More
27 Mar 2016 10:03 #224920 by SuperflyPete
Replied by SuperflyPete on topic Batman, mass murderer.
Saw it last night.

> BenA did a great job with the dialogue. His acting was spot on, except one thing....he is the slowest fighting Batman of all time. Straight up slow motion martial arts. Fight scenes were fully uninspired.

> I loved the fact that Batman was a cynical fuck. He had been so jaded by fighting criminals (in slow motion) that he viewed Supe as a potential EVE.

> Superman can go into space. He has no reason to inhale. How the fuck did the green shit fuck with him?

> Wonder Woman was 100% the highlight of the film. I'd drop 15$ to go see her film.

> Overall, the film was too dark. Way too dark. The whole "Batman No Guns" thing didn't bother me. The branding thing did. Even Frank Miller's Batman wasn't this dark.

> End game: Total disappointment. It was a bad film with a bad premise with shit choreography. The only truly impressive things were then special effects. The laser eyes and the energy waves were SPOT ON.
The following user(s) said Thank You: DukeofChutney

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 Mar 2016 14:03 #224991 by boothwah
Replied by boothwah on topic Batman, mass murderer.
Saw it last night.

Stuff I liked :

I liked Affleck, Cavill in their respective roles. I loved Jeremy Irons as Alfred - Just the right amount of snark. I am optimistic about the Wonder Woman film now, it seems like they did a decent job casting there.

The fights scenes were entertaining. The special effects on the laser eyes and whatnot were keen. Doomsday was some interesting CGi to watch.

Stuff I disliked :

Pacing was awful.

Eisenberg did what they asked him to do apparently, I'll give him that - but just a horrible choice for the direction to go with Luthor. he came off more as a kooky batman villain. And they never really gave a reason for his war on Supes.

The Flash sequence was not needed and actually was kind of took you out of the pacing.

I actually started laughing out loud when the whole turn pivot on the me vs. you turn was MARTHA...WHY DID YOU SAY THAT NAME. Like belly laughing. Like annoying the people around because I was loosing my crap at how bad bad it was.

Overall - I wasn't put off by the premise of this thread - Batman wasn't all murdery. Chill out peeps. It was a movie that was just entertaining enough once that I don't have butthurt, but bad enough in execution that I don't have any desire to ever watch it again.

More
29 Mar 2016 15:54 #224993 by Black Barney
Replied by Black Barney on topic Batman, mass murderer.
my favourite two reviews:

Characters intone expository dialogue in a manner that suggests they are heavily constipated.

Yo, this movie makes no sense.

The following user(s) said Thank You: SuperflyPete

More
29 Mar 2016 19:33 - 29 Mar 2016 19:33 #224995 by Disgustipater
Every time I see this thread, I read the topic as "Batman, bass murderer."

Last edit: 29 Mar 2016 19:33 by Disgustipater.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChristopherMD, san il defanso, Varys

More
30 Mar 2016 10:07 #225015 by Joebot
Replied by Joebot on topic Batman, mass murderer.
This article here (warning: tons of spoilers) repeatedly uses the term "DC Murderverse," which is an awesome name, and I hope that it catches on.

I haven't seen the movie, but that linked article pretty much spells out the whole movie and DEAR GOD does it sound stupid.
The following user(s) said Thank You: san il defanso, Mantidman

More
30 Mar 2016 10:31 - 30 Mar 2016 10:31 #225016 by san il defanso
This article is great, because it just confirms that I don't need to see this movie, if only because it'll only make me want to ruin the fun of everyone who liked it.

I am sticking with Justice League and Justice League Unlimited on Netflix, and both the Batman and Superman animated series on Amazon Prime. And if I really want dark and violent, I can finish that second season of Daredevil, which is actually good.
Last edit: 30 Mar 2016 10:31 by san il defanso.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, ChristopherMD, Varys

More
30 Mar 2016 11:23 #225022 by SuperflyPete
Replied by SuperflyPete on topic Batman, mass murderer.
I just looked up the Flash traveling back in time to warn Batman not to "comfort" Lois because Supes would destroy the world....nice touch.

More
30 Mar 2016 11:30 #225023 by Joebot
Replied by Joebot on topic Batman, mass murderer.

san il defanso wrote: I am sticking with Justice League and Justice League Unlimited on Netflix, and both the Batman and Superman animated series on Amazon Prime. And if I really want dark and violent, I can finish that second season of Daredevil, which is actually good.

Definitely. To commemorate NOT going to see BvS, I instead rewatched the "World's Finest" 3-part episode of the Animated Batman series. That's still my favorite Batman / Superman teamup.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChristopherMD, Gregarius, Varys

More
30 Mar 2016 12:18 - 30 Mar 2016 12:19 #225025 by Josh Look
Replied by Josh Look on topic Batman, mass murderer.
I've been on a Batman TAS and Justice League kick, too. I'm skipping around a bit on Batman, but damn, Justice League has aged really well.

I went to the movies yesterday and saw Zootopia (which was excellent). SPOILED THE FUCK out of BvS for people walking into the theater, somehow didn't get my ass beat.
Last edit: 30 Mar 2016 12:19 by Josh Look.

More
30 Mar 2016 12:22 #225026 by ChristopherMD
Recently watched the two animated movies Superman/Batman Public Enemies and Superman/Batman Apocalypse. Same voice actors as the animated universe, but separate continuity as theyre based off specific comics. I enjoyed them and really liked the final fight in the second one.

More
30 Mar 2016 14:10 #225028 by Michael Barnes
What does it say about _audiences_, not a vague conception of "our world today" or whatever when a character that upholds positive morals, truth, justice and fighting for good is viewed as "corny" and needs to be reimagined into a violent, cynical and amoral figure?

Marvel left Captain America alone and look how awesome that turned out...AND they were able to explore themes and ideas about him being a good man living in a bad time.

I started watching Justice League again too, it's SO good. Right in the first episode you get Batman vs. Superman...but it's subtle, they don't try to kill each other. DC is just on it with the animated stuff, always. And the TV stuff is doing well, Flash is a great superhero show...I don't know why they don't just corner the market there and forget about this Murderverse thing they are foisting on us.

I just read that I09 thing...Batman mowing people down with a chain gun....

More
30 Mar 2016 14:54 #225034 by Jackwraith
Replied by Jackwraith on topic Batman, mass murderer.

Disgustipater wrote: Every time I see this thread, I read the topic as "Batman, bass murderer."

I still think "The Laughing Fish" may be the greatest Joker story of all time. When the episode appeared on The Animated Series, I stopped to talk to Steve Engelhart at a comic show in Detroit. I told him that they had used his dialogue (he hadn't seen it) and he kind of sighed and said that they'd given him a "sharing payment" or some such term which, given typical DC policy and work-for-hire arrangements, meant that they were paying him off to plagiarize his story without giving him a credit. I guess it's better than nothing but, still...

Have no interest in seeing the film. DC's attempts at translating their archetypal characters to the modern world are as bad as the majority of their comics have been for the past 50 years. They've never quite understood the concept of "person first, superhero second", which has been the way Marvel has been eating their lunch since 1960 and how they're continuing to do so in Hollywood, despite however many millions BvS might make as a one-off. DC makes billions off their trademarked characters on lunchboxes and beach towels, too. That's why the comics continue to exist, since they certainly don't make money. They're only rebooting their entire stable for- what? -the fifth time since the original Crisis on Infinite Earths? It's only been 5 years since The New 52. Maybe this'll be The Newer 42? Give it 10 more years and they'll be down to The Last Minute 12. Such a waste, especially considering that they shared space for so long with Vertigo and produced some interesting side projects.

More
30 Mar 2016 15:12 #225036 by Shellhead
Replied by Shellhead on topic Batman, mass murderer.
For the second half of the '80s, DC managed to surpass Marvel in terms of quality. DC had some outstanding new writers at the time, including the British Invasion of Moore, Morrison, and Gaiman, who helped usher in the Vertigo line. Even their mainstream titles were better, thanks in part to Jim Shooter driving off the top creators at Marvel with his heavy-handed editorial style. That was when DC fans got a funny Justice League run, a villainous Suicide Squad, the Green Arrow run that paved the way for the modern Arrow tv show, and one of the top runs on Wonder Woman. Unfortunately, most of the industry went through an intense period of sucking during the '90s, and DC has never gotten back to the overall quality level of the late '80s. Marvel, despite being the more popular of the two companies for the vast majority of the last 50 years, has never published a truly great comic on the level with Watchmen, The Dark Knight Returns, or Kingdom Come.

More
30 Mar 2016 15:46 #225039 by Josh Look
Replied by Josh Look on topic Batman, mass murderer.
I think Marvel and DC are like a pendulum in terms of quality. One seems to be at the top of their game at exactly the time the other is at the bottom of theirs. That's just my observation, could just be how I read comics. I tend to get tired of what one is doing, get curious about the other and find that there's some great stuff going on on the other side.

I do love Marvel's approach to their characters, but man, sometimes I just want to see superheroes doing superhero shit, and that's where DC excels. I'm there right now and that's why I've been digging the Justice League cartoon so much. There's not a lot of personal life crises, if any at all, yet there's still so much character. The two episode per story format worked well for it, they could really take their time and nail those character beats.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shellhead

More
30 Mar 2016 16:55 #225041 by Shellhead
Replied by Shellhead on topic Batman, mass murderer.
The Justice League cartoon is good, and the Justice League Unlimited cartoon is great. I only wish that the theme songs had been better and there had been more episodes of JLU.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.203 seconds