October 09, 2023
2290 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2507 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk abut Movies & TV here. Just tell us what you have been watching. Have hyper-academic discussions on visual semiotics. Whatever, it's all good.

The Legend of Conan = grognard panic

More
24 May 2016 19:14 #228072 by Amontillado
Goddamnit, they are doing another Conan movie, this one with Arnold.

Look, I didn't even bother with the 2011 remake. I liked the original too much and disabused myself of the notion that the 2011 could come close based upon the reviews I saw, so I sat it out. Now I see that there's a whiff that another will be made, this time with Arnold attached to the effort. I feel a simmering sense of hope that this one might be good. My benchmark for taking a movie of my youth that I enjoyed and doing it as well, and in truth even better, is MM: Fury Road. The latest MM has unseated The Road Warrior as my favorite in that canon. I invite the studios to do as much with Conan.

I've been reading the King Conan series from Dark Horse comics, and I think they've really captured something amazing with that work, and in my view the studios would do well to pull in that talent to work on the visual style and even the storytelling. Has anyone read these? There's a dark and baroque beauty in the pages of these works by Truman/Giorello/Villarrubia. Giant, menacing terrors emerging from the shadows deep in humid caverns draped with lichen and filth, legendary perfumed gardens, gleaming bronze domes set against red sunsets. Vicious sedition, barbarism, and orgiastic revenge are the staple of the good and the terrible alike. I just...fucking...love it, and I want to see it in film. As these tales are told by King Conan of days gone by to a scribe chronicling the old king's exploits, Arnold could credibly step into the role as the old king.

But, given the 2011 weak sauce, I worry. I worry that they will fuck it up and schmuck it up. I don't want that to happen. My inner grognard is in a state of panic. Quick, someone assure me that it's going to be amazing and not suck. Please, please, please don't suck.

Chasch
The following user(s) said Thank You: Columbob, stoic, Feelitmon

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 May 2016 19:19 #228073 by Amontillado
As I quick aside, I wonder if anyone can recommend any decent source campaign material for running an RPG campaign in an Aqualonian setting? I'll be adapting to D&D 5th ed, but the rules matter less than simply having a good setting, maps, characters, etc common to the better RPG modules and GURPS source materials. I've not reviewed anything, but will be looking through whatever comes recommended here.

More
24 May 2016 19:57 #228075 by hotseatgames
There was just a kickstarter for an action Conan RPG.

The 2011 movie was not bad, I enjoyed it. Not as much as the Arnold movies, of course.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Amontillado

More
24 May 2016 20:10 #228077 by Amontillado
Yeah, I just downloaded the quick start rules last night from RPG Drivethru. But it's really campaign and source materials that I'm looking for. Thanks for the mention.

More
24 May 2016 21:10 #228081 by Colorcrayons
I've read the dark horse comics, and agree. Really good stuff. Lots of places a man can find the complete cbr collection. Yaaar!

More
24 May 2016 22:14 #228084 by boothwah

Chasch wrote: As I quick aside, I wonder if anyone can recommend any decent source campaign material for running an RPG campaign in an Aqualonian setting? I'll be adapting to D&D 5th ed, but the rules matter less than simply having a good setting, maps, characters, etc common to the better RPG modules and GURPS source materials. I've not reviewed anything, but will be looking through whatever comes recommended here.

hyboria.xoth.net/gazetteer/index.htm
The following user(s) said Thank You: dysjunct

More
24 May 2016 22:45 #228087 by dysjunct
Yeah, Xoth is better than most when it comes to RPG settings for sword and sorcery. More near middle eastern than not, lots of poison, weird religion, decadent nobles, and so forth. Really you'd be fine with broad stereotypes as a setting basis; it's not like REH was a purveyor of nuance in his characterization.

More
24 May 2016 22:48 #228088 by Ochobee
I think the secret sauce in the original (besides James Earl Jones) was the writing, and there's no way they can top the epic, over the top insanity of late 70's early 80's John Milius and Oliver Stone.

More
24 May 2016 23:17 #228095 by Mr. White
Vincent Delarge (sp?) wrote a ton of amazing material for the Mongoose's d20 Conan RPG about a decade back. Sourcebooks like Road of Kings and Across the Thunder River should be sought out. Top notch stuff!

More
24 May 2016 23:28 #228097 by Amontillado
Bitchin'. I'm on it.

More
25 May 2016 04:55 #228112 by Hex Sinister
If they get the tone right (as well as a million other things) it could be decent. Arnold needs a beard though.

The 2011 remake was just terrible. Everything sucked, especially the guy playing Conan. I hate that movie. Almost as much as the "Dungeons & Dragons" movie. Which is also being resurrected btw...

More
25 May 2016 08:26 #228121 by drewcula
John Milius is responsible for one of my favorite movies, Conan the Barbarian. It has aged beautifully. A timeless, nihilistic tour de force.
That acknowledged, it's not the best adaptation of Howard's Conan.
It could be argued that the 2011 version is a bit more attuned to the grand adventuring of the pulp hero.
I went in expecting complete garbage, and left pleasantly surprised. I guess I'm in the minority. I thought the '11 Conan was fun. Not without warts (Rose McG. may be hot, but she sucks as an actress), but a pretty good hack & slash representation.
Pushing aside my 80s nostalgia, I liked the 2011 Conan better than Conan the Destroyer.

On the KS front, I'm an addict: I'm almost all in for the minis game. I may see it before 2017...
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, stoic

More
25 May 2016 10:06 #228133 by Columbob
2011 Conan wasn't a complete trainwreck, but it wasn't great either. I just remember that decapitated head rolling around, coming to rest and the eyes popping open...ugh.

Those King Conan comics are great because they're directly and faithfully adapting Howard's source material. Plus the artist and author know what they're doing with it (some of the ongoing Conan series has had so-so artists - he's not supposed to be a skinny dude! Might thews Crom damn it!).

Mongoose had a pretty substantial Conan RPG collection 10-15 years ago, you might find some for cheap on the aftermarket.

More
25 May 2016 10:51 #228141 by Egg Shen
I adore both of the Schwarzenegger Conan films. The first film is a legitimate "swords and sandals" classic. The sequel is more of an entertaining B movie romp. I watched the 2011 movie on Netflix a few years ago and was pretty disappointing in it. It is also pretty forgettable because I don't remember all that much about it. The costumes and locations were pretty good from what I recall. However, the action was a let down. Far too much CG bullshit for my liking. Practical effects go a LONG way in these types of films. I do remember that the chick Conan eventually made tender barbarian love to was pretty damn attractive...she was like an 8 out of 10 maple syrup bottles on the Black Barney scale of hotness.

Having Arnold back for a new film could work out well. Or it could be a complete disaster. I've always been a superfan of his, so at the very least if it gets made I'll go see it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Amontillado, boothwah

More
26 May 2016 08:39 #228213 by dysjunct
I also highly recommend the Mongoose d20 Conan books. Really top-notch writing and a strong grasp of the setting and themes that make Conan (and S&S generally) compelling. Some of the few RPG setting books I've read for pleasure.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.216 seconds