October 09, 2023
2494 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2697 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk abut Movies & TV here. Just tell us what you have been watching. Have hyper-academic discussions on visual semiotics. Whatever, it's all good.

The Case for John Carter

More
25 Oct 2016 13:57 #236896 by jpat
Replied by jpat on topic The Case for John Carter
I think literary, REH Conan is still readable and engaging today (not that I'm suggesting that very many people do, in fact, read it), but I only got through one of John Carter books, and even that felt like a chore because the book felt more like a chronicle than a novel.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 Oct 2016 14:07 #236897 by metalface13
Yes. To pretty much everything everyone said. Why are we talking about John Carter though? Did I miss something in another thread?

It's not a very relevant intellectual property for all the reasons stated. I tried reading the first book before the movie came out but couldn't finish it. My wife read a couple of the books and enjoyed them, but she likes more older literature than I tend to. The movie already had all that working against it, so a good marketing campaign could have helped it of course. Taking off the "of Mars" and leaving the title "John Carter" doesn't tell you anything about the movie. Could be a movie like Jack Reacher or John Wick for all anyone knows. In the end the movie isn't that great. It wasn't terrible, just forgettable.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Colorcrayons

More
25 Oct 2016 14:22 #236901 by SuperflyPete
It was a good movie in the same way that Independence Day was. It delivered exactly what it meant to.

More
25 Oct 2016 14:23 #236902 by Space Ghost

Black Barney wrote: I think John Carter was the cause of my first (and only?) fight with Jeff White. I remember having a major beef with the trailer for the movie and how it was clearly marketed to dumb people.

I've never seen the movie.

You must be wrong about it being marketed to dumb people, then.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChristopherMD, Black Barney, SuperflyPete, Da Bid Dabid

More
25 Oct 2016 14:43 #236905 by quozl
Replied by quozl on topic The Case for John Carter
It's one of my favorite movies.

Maybe I'm dumb.
The following user(s) said Thank You: SuperflyPete

More
25 Oct 2016 15:05 #236906 by SuperflyPete
I'm going to watch it again tonight.

More
25 Oct 2016 16:05 #236911 by mutagen
Replied by mutagen on topic The Case for John Carter
It was entertaining. Given the lavish production values, clearly the studio and fan base were expecting more, so I can understand the disappointment associated with the film, but reading the comments at the fort, you get the impression that it was Transformers level bad. It wasn't nearly that.

Now, going into the film I had no idea who John Carter was, and having seen the film, I have no idea who John Carter was, so that is something of a problem. But I have a soft spot for lighthearted, swashbuckling, scifi/fantasy type movies, so I wasn't at all disappointed.

For most of what I just said, you could replace John Carter with Jupiter Ascending.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mr. White, Colorcrayons

More
25 Oct 2016 16:23 #236912 by Gregarius
Replied by Gregarius on topic The Case for John Carter
I see Barnes is spreading his usual hyperbole again. John Carter isn't a terrible film. It's better than a lot of dreck that has fared better. There are problems with it, but nothing on the order of "bad filmmaking."

But I'm not an apologist who blames the marketing team. I think it was smart to take "of Mars" off the title, and i wish they had taken it out of the film altogether. Have it simply named "Barsoom" and leave it at that. Maybe John Carter calls it "Mars" because that's the only reference he can relate to, but there's no need to actually explain what the planet is called or where it is in the universe.

The real problem, I think, is with the source material. I read a great article about this a while back, but I can't recall where. The problem is that it was *such* a source. The leaping and strength and powers by being on another world are all clearly Superman, and everybody already knows Superman. The alien species, spaceship battles, and rescuing a princess are all clearly Star Wars, and everybody already knows Star Wars. It would be like trying to market a movie adaptation of Ellison's Demon with a Glass Hand, even though everyone is already familiar with The Terminator.

Now, I'm not saying that old, original, source material couldn't be made well and entertaining and relevant. But I think Stanton got so wrapped up in his own love and nostalgia for the material that he lost that perspective. He spends time showcasing these aspects of John Carter and Barsoom as if they're new and wondrous things, when his audience is already way ahead of him. That's why people find it boring. I suspect (but don't hold me to it) that a young child who didn't already know all these other properties might actually share that thrill of discovery.

The other problem, as I said in the previous thread, is pacing. This is the one area on which i can agree with Barnes. The first half-hour is kind of a mess, and that can be the death knell for any movie. I think with some better editing choices, this problem goes away.

By the way, I'm not a John Carter fanboy. I read the first book in anticipation of the movie, and really didn't like it (it pales in comparison to Howard's Conan). Still, I eagerly saw the movie in a deserted theater after the terrible reviews, and I liked a lot of it. Not great, but far from terrible.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mr. White, Columbob, Colorcrayons

More
25 Oct 2016 16:46 #236914 by Shellhead
Replied by Shellhead on topic The Case for John Carter

Michael Barnes wrote: Heh, I said Andrew Bird...I meant Andrew Stanton. Somehow conflated him with Brad Bird. Who probably would have made a better movie out of this.

Andrew Bird is a fine musician, and I was puzzled that he would have any connection to the John Carter movie. Thanks for clearing that up.
The following user(s) said Thank You: SuperflyPete

More
25 Oct 2016 16:57 - 25 Oct 2016 16:58 #236916 by Jackwraith
Replied by Jackwraith on topic The Case for John Carter
I think the movie was just poorly done and, as Gregarius notes, not really original for the modern audience. The reason that Conan still has appeal is that it's core fantasy: swords, barbarians, some sorcery, occasional demons, fini. There's a certain relevance there for people looking for a film of that genre in the same way that Lord of the Rings works (swords, elves, dwarves, orcs, dark evil guy who is evil just for the sake of being so. And some ring or something.)

John Carter/Barsoom, OTOH, is early science fiction without any of the really basic components attached. It's not a Time Machine. It's not a War of the Worlds. It's not 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea. Instead, it has elements of a lot of things but no real hook that says: "If you've seen this, you'd like John Carter!" Now, many of us go to see films that specifically aren't that (like, say, Blade Runner in the early 80s...) But John Carter doesn't aim that high. It's not attempting to deliver a message any more than Burroughs was. It's just an adventure tale and a pretty fantastical one, at that. In that respect, it can't really compete with all of the other movies out there, except on a nostalgic level. And among the set of us who've actually read the books, you'd make a lot more headway with an Elric movie than you would with a John Carter one, mostly because the main character would be interesting, rather than just the "northern European guy among the natives" pastiche that is John Carter. It's just not a good story concept, in general, and I say that having read all of the books You can, uh, get them for free on Kindle, but I had most of them in hardcopy as a a kid. Because that's when it's good to read them. As a kid.
Last edit: 25 Oct 2016 16:58 by Jackwraith.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gregarius

More
25 Oct 2016 17:32 #236919 by Michael Barnes
Yeah, I was kind of trying to avoid saying it, but the John Carter stories are...not really very good in the first place. I admire them. I like the notion of them. I like Tars Tarkas, Deja Thoris and the pulp SF tone. I bet reading these in the 1920s was just amazing. I went back to re-read these about ten years ago and I was pretty shocked at how uninteresting and badly aged they are. They are embarrassingly racist/imperial (white man goes to foreign land, is better than they are, takes their naked women). The SF concepts are cool only because they are early, not because they are well-developed or because they have any kind of significance. It's empty, escapist fantasy. Which is fine, but you can get more out of reading an old Alex Raymond Flash Gordon comic than the John Carter books. And they aren't nearly as well-written as Howard's stuff, which is kind of the high water mark for early 20th century genre fiction.

So there, I finally admitted in public. The John Carter books actually kind of suck. I think I liked the 1970s Marvel Comics adaptation a lot more.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChristopherMD, Gregarius

More
25 Oct 2016 17:34 - 25 Oct 2016 17:45 #236920 by RobertB
Replied by RobertB on topic The Case for John Carter
Gregarius wrote:

The real problem, I think, is with the source material. I read a great article about this a while back, but I can't recall where. The problem is that it was *such* a source. The leaping and strength and powers by being on another world are all clearly Superman, and everybody already knows Superman. The alien species, spaceship battles, and rescuing a princess are all clearly Star Wars, and everybody already knows Star Wars. It would be like trying to market a movie adaptation of Ellison's Demon with a Glass Hand, even though everyone is already familiar with The Terminator.

The book linked upthread describes that as a problem; you might have read an excerpt. By Mr. Sellars' lights (the linked book's author), a lot of SF adventure tropes were original to Burroughs, but movies using later source material beat Burroughs' Mars books to the punch. Again, though, that guy loved him some John Carter books, and could very well have been trying to sell this notion pretty hard.

ETA: There's a pretty good section in Sellars' book on why it got beaten to the punch. IIRC, it was a combination of stuff falling through, and the Burroughs estate not wanting to see their name on a crappy product. By the time it got bought by someone who could do it right (Disney), it was too late.
Last edit: 25 Oct 2016 17:45 by RobertB. Reason: Brain has called it quits for the day

More
25 Oct 2016 17:42 #236921 by Michael Barnes
That is an interesting point. There is so much of John Carter that would be iterated upon later that it is almost a kind of ur-story (regardless of its lack of quality or timelessness). However, if that were the case, then Campbell is totally wrong and the hero myth is no longer interesting to modern audiences. Dudes leaping 100 feet or whatever does not start with John Carter. "Superpowers" or whatever all have origin in myth and folklore, which are the REAL source stories.

More
25 Oct 2016 22:32 #236933 by SuperflyPete
You're dead to me, Barnes.

The books lit my imagination during my childhood. And not the Boris covers. They didn't hurt though.

"Barsoomian Maiden" is synonymous in my family with "big breasted, disproportionate chick". My dad would always say "Hey, check out that Barsoomian Maiden" to my brothers and I never got it until I was 10 or so and read them all.

More
26 Oct 2016 14:08 #236990 by Thrun
Replied by Thrun on topic The Case for John Carter
I liked it, but I have to admit I was partly hypnotized by the awesomeness of Lynn Collins thighs (well, all of her actually). I'd not heard of the books, nor had any preconceptions, "bad" I suppose it was a bit of a mess but only in the same way that a whole host of other films are. It was enjoyable pap. It didnt seem to pretend to be anything else, like Interstellar for example, which was unenjoyable pap but much higher "rated"

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.352 seconds