October 09, 2023
2291 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2509 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk abut Movies & TV here. Just tell us what you have been watching. Have hyper-academic discussions on visual semiotics. Whatever, it's all good.

Spiderman Homecoming trailer

More
09 Dec 2016 11:45 #240238 by OldHippy
It looks great but I'll wait to watch it on Netflix or something. I like the Vulture, he's very underused and has had some great costumes in the past. I think he's a good choice and every other choice I've seen listed is a character I've seen far too much of. I'm curious to see where they go with the character.

Still, I'm not paying to see it, I'm done with all of these super hero films. Actually it would take a hell of a lot to get me in a theater again. I'll do it for some directors here and there.

None the less I don't mind another re-boot at all. I lived through that in comics a thousand times. Characters are constantly getting re-boots or what if story lines. I'm fine with it and it feels natural... as long as they bring something new and/or fun to the table and keep me entertained. I don't even mind missing some details because I didn't see X or Y film. Usually none of it matters anyway. We're not talking about dense complicated films here.

The young hot aunt May thing was unnecessary in my mind. There's already too many young hot people in movies as it is. Leaving room for an older woman here and there is nice... especially in a world like this where they simply do not exist otherwise.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 Dec 2016 11:46 #240239 by Not Sure

cranberries wrote: Someone explain to me why this series is rebooted every three years.

Also, Marvel movies just kinda feel like strung together moments of fan service designed to push the next movie in the series.

It's like comic books or something, always wanting you to buy the next issue, and saying "from issue #445..."

I'm in the "nope" camp as well. I feel that keeping up with an hour TV drama is like a job, so there's no way I'm spending any time on the superhero movie treadmill.

More
09 Dec 2016 13:00 #240248 by Mr. White
I guess Marissa Tomei as Aunt May passed me by.

I suppose at her age, and the actor's age, that could make sense.

However, I do agree with Jacob. Too few 'average' elder woman roles and that's totally Aunt May's deal. But if Marissa came in and screened best for the part, it wouldn't make sense to turn her away. Good on her. BUT if this is because Marvel wanted hawt Aunt May...that's not cool. plenty, and I mean plenty, of other babes to cast in these comic book movies.

Anyone know which reason is correct? I have a guess...

More
09 Dec 2016 13:14 #240251 by Shellhead

Michael Barnes wrote: Yeah...this whole culture of narcissism and vanity that the Internet created makes me feel like Travis Bickle. One day a rain is going to wash it all away...

I mean, what possesses someone to make them think that anyone would want to watch them watch something? What possesses someone that makes them want to watch that?

I'd beat my kids if I caught them watching one of those "reaction videos"

This is how I feel about unboxing videos at BGG.

More
09 Dec 2016 13:21 #240252 by Shellhead
I dislike this version of the Spider-man costume. The web pattern is too skinny, so at even a slight distance, it just looks like an oddly two-tone costume instead of Spider-man's distinctive look. But since they have already used the costume in Civil War, we are apparently stuck with it. I just hope that the inevitable new Spider-trilogy avoids all the terrible later story arcs from the comics, like Maximum Carnage, the Clone Saga, and Sins Past.

More
09 Dec 2016 13:23 #240254 by Shellhead

Mr. White wrote: I guess Marissa Tomei as Aunt May passed me by.

I suppose at her age, and the actor's age, that could make sense.

However, I do agree with Jacob. Too few 'average' elder woman roles and that's totally Aunt May's deal. But if Marissa came in and screened best for the part, it wouldn't make sense to turn her away. Good on her. BUT if this is because Marvel wanted hawt Aunt May...that's not cool. plenty, and I mean plenty, of other babes to cast in these comic book movies.

Anyone know which reason is correct? I have a guess...

In hindsight, Aunt May seems awfully damn old in the comics for an aunt. When Peter was still in high school, she and Uncle Ben already looked like geezers, when they should be relatively close in age to Peter's parents.
The following user(s) said Thank You: metalface13

More
09 Dec 2016 14:07 - 09 Dec 2016 14:08 #240257 by jpat
Replied by jpat on topic Spiderman Homecoming trailer
I'll at least give the trailer +1 for not using a slowed-down, mournful cover song, a quarter-tempo "Itsy Bitsy Spider" in a rumbling baritone being the obvious choice.
Last edit: 09 Dec 2016 14:08 by jpat.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Hex Sinister, Gregarius

More
09 Dec 2016 14:08 #240258 by san il defanso
Aunt May's age in the comics always made me assume she was Peter's great aunt.

More
09 Dec 2016 14:36 #240260 by ChristopherMD

cranberries wrote: Someone explain to me why this series is rebooted every three years.

I'm pretty sure they lose the movie license back to Marvel if they don't use it every several years. Same thing with Fantastic Four.
The following user(s) said Thank You: SecretSantana

More
09 Dec 2016 14:38 #240261 by Shellhead

Mad Dog wrote:

I'm pretty sure they lose the movie license back to Marvel if they don't use it every several years. Same thing with Fantastic Four.

Also, the actors playing Spidey can only fit in that spandex for a few years before they age out of the role.

More
09 Dec 2016 15:22 #240266 by jpat
Replied by jpat on topic Spiderman Homecoming trailer
Is it a full-blown origin for Spider-man this time, though, or did we do some of that service in Civil War? It's certainly a reset (relative to Amazing Spider-man), for sure.

I felt that way, though, too about Doctor Strange. Can't we just assume by now that everyone knows how this all works and just get to the second movie?

More
09 Dec 2016 15:29 #240269 by Shellhead

jpat wrote: Is it a full-blown origin for Spider-man this time, though, or did we do some of that service in Civil War? It's certainly a reset (relative to Amazing Spider-man), for sure.

I felt that way, though, too about Doctor Strange. Can't we just assume by now that everyone knows how this all works and just get to the second movie?

More than most Marvel heroes, Doctor Strange needed an origin story, in part to explain the concepts to the audience: dimensional energies, artifacts, the shadow world, the dark dimension, why he is a Doctor but no longer a doctor. All that stuff works because of his origin story. Without the origin story, it seems more like they are just pulling tricks out of Strange's ass... even if that is ultimately what the writers are doing. By contrast, Iron Man's origin could have been handled in five minutes. Same with Batman. In All-Star Superman, Grant Morrison easily got Superman's origin down to one page.
The following user(s) said Thank You: OldHippy

More
09 Dec 2016 16:28 #240270 by OldHippy
Yes, they could totally do away with origin stories if they wanted and I, personally, would be much more interested in the MCU if they did that. Even more I'd be more interested if they were self-contained stories treated like single trade paper backs... elseworlds, what if's... I don't much care if it adheres the characters we know from the books as long as it's a good story and much of the time I feel like the MCU is hampered by it's supposed continuity, fan service, and need to explain ever detail way too specifically. They need to let mystery happen, we don't need to know everything, we just think we need to.

More
09 Dec 2016 16:30 #240271 by Gregarius

Shellhead wrote:

jpat wrote: Is it a full-blown origin for Spider-man this time, though, or did we do some of that service in Civil War? It's certainly a reset (relative to Amazing Spider-man), for sure.

More than most Marvel heroes, Doctor Strange needed an origin story, in part to explain the concepts to the audience: dimensional energies, artifacts, the shadow world, the dark dimension, why he is a Doctor but no longer a doctor. All that stuff works because of his origin story. Without the origin story, it seems more like they are just pulling tricks out of Strange's ass... even if that is ultimately what the writers are doing. By contrast, Iron Man's origin could have been handled in five minutes. Same with Batman. In All-Star Superman, Grant Morrison easily got Superman's origin down to one page.

One page!? That's nuthin!

It seems like every issue of Daredevil (back in the day) had that one sentence narrative box along the lines of "Blinded by the radioactive chemicals that enhanced his other senses, Matt Murdock practices law by day and fights crime by night as... Daredevil!" Same kinda thing in every ish of Spidey.

More
09 Dec 2016 16:36 #240272 by OldHippy

Gregarius wrote: It seems like every issue of Daredevil (back in the day) had that one sentence narrative box along the lines of "Blinded by the radioactive chemicals that enhanced his other senses, Matt Murdock practices law by day and fights crime by night as... Daredevil!" Same kinda thing in every ish of Spidey.

It seems like every comic did that in the 80's. But the All Star Superman's opening page is honestly the same thing. It's simply this:

Doomed Planet. Desperate Scientists. Last Hope. Kindly Couple.

That's it. There is one picture to help with each set of two words. It's very much like what they did back in the older comics but it's only in the first issue.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.158 seconds