October 09, 2023
2454 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2655 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk abut Movies & TV here. Just tell us what you have been watching. Have hyper-academic discussions on visual semiotics. Whatever, it's all good.

New Blade Runner movie trailer

More
21 Dec 2016 08:35 #241085 by Legomancer

mutagen wrote: Isn't this all moot anyway, I could have sworn Ridley came out and said Deckard was a replicant.

Scott can say whatever he wants to say in an interview, but he then needs to put it in the movie.

I like in the trailer: "I had your job once. I was good at it." Oh Deckard, no you weren't. You were reaaaallllllyyyyy shitty at it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Dec 2016 09:05 #241087 by Black Barney

Chapel wrote:

Shellhead wrote:
“We were just doing a fight scene and, you know, it just happened,” explains Gosling. “But what was funny was, when it was over, they brought ice for my face, and Harrison pushed me out of the way and stuck his fist in the ice.”

That is the most Han Solo thing I've heard all day.

I'd say it's more Indiana Jones.

...Oh wait, they're practically the same type of character

More
21 Dec 2016 09:35 #241090 by hotseatgames
Yeah.... while I enjoy Harrison Ford in many roles, he is, shall we say, not a great actor.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cranberries, Black Barney

More
21 Dec 2016 09:41 #241092 by Shellhead

hotseatgames wrote: Yeah.... while I enjoy Harrison Ford in many roles, he is, shall we say, not a great actor.

Nobody plays a better Harrison Ford than Harrison Ford. He plays to his strengths.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb, Cranberries, Black Barney

More
21 Dec 2016 11:08 #241095 by jeb
Replied by jeb on topic New Blade Runner movie trailer

Legomancer wrote:

mutagen wrote: Isn't this all moot anyway, I could have sworn Ridley came out and said Deckard was a replicant.

Scott can say whatever he wants to say in an interview, but he then needs to put it in the movie.

I like in the trailer: "I had your job once. I was good at it." Oh Deckard, no you weren't. You were reaaaallllllyyyyy shitty at it.

He was doing OK. He tracked down Leon's apartment, finds Zhora, retires her; gets some help from Rachel retiring Leon, retires Pris, and at least is present when Roy retires himself. He's really only way off on the Rachel directive.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rliyen

More
21 Dec 2016 12:44 - 21 Dec 2016 12:52 #241099 by stoic
Phillip K. Dick's book, Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep, and its movie adaptation Blade Runner explore the existential topics of whether humans have free-will and whether Humans are distinct from Animals and Replicants. In the original Phillip K. Dick story, humans are found to demonstrate a great deal of empathy for animals which is Deckard's motivation to hunt down and kill the rogue Nexus 6 Replicants who, ironically, are exhibiting human like free-will; Deckard does this so he can afford to buy his wife a live animal.

In the Phillip K. Dick worldview and Blade Runner, Humans adore Animals, but, they have little or no empathy for other Humans. They have no empathy for Replicants who are indistinguishable from Animals as both lack free-will. They also have absolutely no empathy for Rogue Replicants who've transitioned from instinct driven Animals to Humans by escaping the bounds of instinct/programming and exhibiting free-will. This creates a hypocritical moral dichotomy and a clear irony.

Furthermore, in the Blade Runner movie, the Nexus 7 Replicants are indistinguishable from Humans as they exhibit free-will and have an indefinite expiration date, just like humans.

All of these issues create philosophical and ethical quagmires. What is the distinction between a Human and an Animal? What is the distinction between a Human and a Replicant? What is the distinction between a genetically defect-free human and a human with genetic errors since both have free-will but are bound by their genetic pattern? Animals act upon instinct and are programmed by it but supposedly have no free-will. Replicants are said to be animals because they too act upon instinct, i.e., they act upon their programming as programmed to do so by humans. On the other hand, Humans supposedly have a complete spectrum of free-will which is supposedly what separates them from Animals and Replicants even though Humans are programmed by genetics.

The hunted Nexus 6 Replicants step outside their programming and exhibit free-will by going rogue. It doesn't matter whether Deckard is a Nexus 7 Replicant or a Human because Nexus 7 Replicants are the same as Humans and both are making the same moral choices of free-will (if that exists) to exterminate other like beings of free-will.

Adding the mystery of whether Deckard is a Replicant or a Human emphasizes these issues and requires one to process the moral hypocrisy of the Blade Runner worldview where that society maintains a convenient fiction which allows them to enslave or kill other beings of fee-will. In Blade Runner, genetically substandard Humans, bound by their genetic code, are also enslaved on Earth and prohibited from traveling to colonize the stars.

Attachments:
Last edit: 21 Dec 2016 12:52 by stoic.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rliyen, mutagen, Frohike

More
21 Dec 2016 13:15 #241102 by Gary Sax

Chapel wrote: I believe Deckard was a replicant, and I totally buy into not only that but he was actually implanted with Gaff's memories.

www.gavinrothery.com/my-blog/2011/10/1/a...-electric-sheep.html

FWIW, this has always been my take, Gaff's character and pseudo prominence doesn't make much sense without it in my opinion. But I'd be the first to admit there's no definitive evidence.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Chapel

More
21 Dec 2016 15:05 #241111 by mutagen
Yeah, it does explain a lot about Gaff doesn't it. He always seems to be hovering in the periphery of the movie like Deckard's shadow. And the character itself makes no fucking sense, as the blade runner is a totally autonomous unit, and doesn't really need a handler, unless ...

More
21 Dec 2016 15:53 #241115 by Legomancer

jeb wrote: He was doing OK. He tracked down Leon's apartment, finds Zhora, retires her; gets some help from Rachel retiring Leon, retires Pris, and at least is present when Roy retires himself. He's really only way off on the Rachel directive.

shoots Zhora in back
is about to be killed by Leon when Rachel saves his ass. Rachel is not a best of the best blade runner
manages to kill Pris
is allowed to live by Roy, who could have offed him several times

More
21 Dec 2016 16:02 #241118 by Shellhead
Maybe Deckard did a great job on a bunch of replicant retirements that took place before and after the movie.

More
21 Dec 2016 16:52 #241125 by Hex Sinister
It would have been cool if Nicolas Winding Refn was at the helm. Or somebody like that. Hopefully it will at least not be dumbed down or targeted at the wrong audience. I'll try to stay optimistic.

More
21 Dec 2016 17:14 #241128 by hotseatgames

Hex Sinister wrote: It would have been cool if Nicolas Winding Refn was at the helm. Or somebody like that. Hopefully it will at least not be dumbed down or targeted at the wrong audience. I'll try to stay optimistic.

As someone who just saw Neon Demon, I'll say HELL NO

More
21 Dec 2016 17:46 #241129 by Hex Sinister
Haven't seen that one yet. But I like the grim/moody vibe of his other stuff. I think he would've been a good fit for something like this.

More
21 Dec 2016 17:58 #241132 by ChristopherMD
Deckard was their best Runner before he retired. That's stated in the movie.

More
21 Dec 2016 18:25 - 21 Dec 2016 21:31 #241136 by mutagen
Zhora: Found her and retired her. Could have been cleaner, but establishes him as at least competent.
Leon: Ambush, not much you can do there. You can be the best soldier in the world and still die.
Pris: Yeah, that was a cock-up to be sure. Hungover? Occurs to me that all that need be said here is "Pleasure Model".
Roy: The best there was. Surviving him is accomplishment enough.
Rachael: He owed her one.

I would hire him for all my retirement needs.
Last edit: 21 Dec 2016 21:31 by mutagen. Reason: Additional Content
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.444 seconds