October 09, 2023
2289 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2505 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk abut Movies & TV here. Just tell us what you have been watching. Have hyper-academic discussions on visual semiotics. Whatever, it's all good.

New Blade Runner movie trailer

More
21 Dec 2016 20:38 #241145 by Ancient_of_MuMu

Hex Sinister wrote: It would have been cool if Nicolas Winding Refn was at the helm. Or somebody like that. Hopefully it will at least not be dumbed down or targeted at the wrong audience. I'll try to stay optimistic.

Same director as Arrival which is definitely not dumbed down sci-fi, so there is hope.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Dec 2016 22:59 #241148 by Cranberries
What Deckard was pretty good at was either holding onto or growing into his humanity. That's the real job of a Bladerunner--finishing with your empathy intact.

More
22 Dec 2016 00:19 - 22 Dec 2016 00:42 #241155 by Frohike
In a sense, the "Deckard is a replicant" twist lies in the same vein as other Philip K Dick twists that kind of break the diegesis for reasons that are obscure to me but still oddly satisfy for some reason. And not in a Hollywood "oh shit" sense, but more along the lines of appreciating the weird short-circuit that happens, like the different registers of "reality" in the story start hemorrhaging into each other for no other reason than conveying some sort of hallucinogenic nightmare where the trip follows you into waking, indefinitely. It almost has a claustrophobic, implacable, trapped quality to it that I enjoy. The last of these that I remember is the ending to PKD's Ubik.

David Lynch revels in this as well, come to think of it.
Last edit: 22 Dec 2016 00:42 by Frohike.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cranberries, Hex Sinister, stoic

More
22 Dec 2016 03:27 #241157 by Hex Sinister

Ancient_of_MuMu wrote:

Hex Sinister wrote: It would have been cool if Nicolas Winding Refn was at the helm. Or somebody like that. Hopefully it will at least not be dumbed down or targeted at the wrong audience. I'll try to stay optimistic.

Same director as Arrival which is definitely not dumbed down sci-fi, so there is hope.

As much as I adore alien contact stuff (and Amy Adams) I still haven't seen the Arrival. But I saw Sicario and it was competent. However it goes, unless the early word is that it's a rotting piece of shit there is no way I'm not going to see it. If I hold my breath long enough to wait for hollywood to produce something new, original, and mind blowing I'll probably need a hypersleep pod.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

More
22 Dec 2016 09:05 #241164 by Shellhead
This discussion thread seems more active than the Rogue One thread. I still plan on seeing Rogue One, but I have lowered my expectations even further.

More
22 Dec 2016 09:25 #241166 by Black Barney
...wot

952 views and 69 replies for Rogue One (and it would be be moar but there be spoilers here)> 621 views and 49 replies for Blade Runner II: Let's Get This Party Started

still, lower your expectations as much as you can Shell. I went in with sky-high expectations and was blown away. i can't imagine if i went in there with low expectations, would be a real treat. I already miss seeing and hearing K-2S0. I should see it again but Casey Affleck calls me!

More
22 Dec 2016 10:41 #241173 by ChristopherMD
I used to think this site had a lot of Star Wars fans. Rogue One has proven otherwise. With Josh and Egg gone we're left mostly with the people who want to pick apart what it did wrong instead of the people who want to praise what it did right. I'm still pretty excited and would like to post a lot about it but not much motivation to do so here.
The following user(s) said Thank You: wadenels

More
22 Dec 2016 11:02 #241176 by Cranberries

Hex Sinister wrote:

Ancient_of_MuMu wrote:

As much as I adore alien contact stuff (and Amy Adams) I still haven't seen the Arrival. But I saw Sicario and it was competent. However it goes, unless the early word is that it's a rotting piece of **** there is no way I'm not going to see it. If I hold my breath long enough to wait for hollywood to produce something new, original, and mind blowing I'll probably need a hypersleep pod.

But then you'll wake up alone on a space shop with young Jennifer Lawrence, for ninety years.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Hex Sinister, Black Barney

More
22 Dec 2016 11:15 #241178 by Black Barney
...and that bartender ain't half bad either

More
22 Dec 2016 11:19 #241179 by Hex Sinister
With my luck it'd be Casey Affleck, but that would make Barney jealous..

More
22 Dec 2016 11:46 #241182 by jeb
Replied by jeb on topic New Blade Runner movie trailer

Mad Dog wrote: I used to think this site had a lot of Star Wars fans. Rogue One has proven otherwise. With Josh and Egg gone we're left mostly with the people who want to pick apart what it did wrong instead of the people who want to praise what it did right. I'm still pretty excited and would like to post a lot about it but not much motivation to do so here.

It's been out for like a week, dude. I got four kids and a job. Gimme a minute, cripes. I am trying to go see it tonight.

I really wanted to go see THE ARRIVAL, and have avoided spoiler like a champion, but today's the last fucking day to see it and the last show is at 3:30 PM--when I am taking my kids somewhere, of course.
The following user(s) said Thank You: SebastianBludd, Black Barney, Columbob

More
22 Dec 2016 13:31 #241191 by Columbob
Don't despair, Jeb, my crystal ball predicts you'll be able to watch it on some other support in a few months!

More
22 Dec 2016 13:59 - 22 Dec 2016 14:00 #241194 by Black Barney
it also looks like i'm going to miss Arrival and I think i'm okay with that. i just really don't want to miss manchester by the sea. i was supposed to see it today and it fell through. :(

don't miss Rogue One in theatres, Jebby. It's an important one for the big screen. You can see it either in IMAX or regular. I saw it in regular and it was great. I hear IMAX is great too.
Last edit: 22 Dec 2016 14:00 by Black Barney.

More
22 Dec 2016 14:21 #241197 by Columbob
And I heard it's best to avoid the 3D, as the only 3D effects were in some previews.

More
22 Dec 2016 14:25 #241198 by Black Barney
the problem is that I think you can't avoid the 3D if you go the IMAX route. i chose to skip both and go regular cuz I hate 3D. But maybe the IMAX makes the 3D worth it? I dunno. Good warning though, Bob.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.221 seconds