October 09, 2023
2448 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2648 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk abut Movies & TV here. Just tell us what you have been watching. Have hyper-academic discussions on visual semiotics. Whatever, it's all good.

RIP Princess

More
28 Dec 2016 19:32 #241441 by Michael Barnes
Replied by Michael Barnes on topic RIP Princess
When I heard the news I felt like my sister had died- somebody that has been with me for all but two years of my life.

Seriously, could this year not consume more goodness, positivity, and light? It's not about people of our generation starting to die out on schedule, it's that this year saw the good guys seriously on the back foot and too many good people died. Not just celebrities.

And on top of losing some of our best and brightest, fucking racist, moneyed white scumbags are taking over the world.

Leia's message at the end of Rogue One (which is, strangely, sort of emblematic of 2016 because all the heroes died) should be one we all take to 2017.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 Dec 2016 19:47 #241444 by san il defanso
Replied by san il defanso on topic RIP Princess
And now Debbie Reynolds has been rushed to the hospital, literally the day after her daughter died. That has to be the most 2016 news ever. Just awful.

More
29 Dec 2016 13:46 #241474 by Michael Barnes
Yeah, this year can kindly fuck right on off. Enough is enough.

More
29 Dec 2016 13:54 #241477 by bfkiller
Replied by bfkiller on topic RIP Princess
2016 definitely has been a disproportionately crazy year for deaths of famous people. And from a wide range of ages. George Michael (53), Carrie Fisher (60) and Debbie Reynolds (84) are just examples from this week, but it's been like this pretty much all year.

I think the deaths in the world of sport definitely highlight how iconic some of the people who passed away in 2016 are. Muhammad Ali, Gordie Howe and Arnold Palmer are each arguably the biggest icons in the history of their sports (and inarguably to fans who experienced their accomplishments during their primes).

Just a crazy, crazy year.

More
29 Dec 2016 14:03 #241479 by Michael Barnes
Yeah, that's part of it too...it's been top tier, best of the best people. I mean in music alone David Bowie and Prince died in the same year. That is, not to put too fine a point on it, catastrophic. Not to mention the loss of Merle Haggard and Leonard Cohen. These aren't like "the bassist from Traffic died the other day".

It all started when Lemmy died, it's like the cork popped or something. When he died, it was like ANYBODY could die.

I never knew George Michael did a cover of "True Faith". It's terrible. Just stick to the Wham! retrospectives and "Faith".

More
29 Dec 2016 14:12 #241481 by Shellhead
Replied by Shellhead on topic RIP Princess
Quoting from my facebook feed, from someone who said what I tried to say, only better:

"I used to run a dead pool for several years. I still get regular email updates from another one. Here are some actual, statistical facts:

1. 2016 is a pretty typical year for celebrity deaths.

2. The number of such deaths usually increases in winter months.

3. The number of celebrities dying relatively young (~50-60) this year is pretty typical.

4. The reason it seems particularly bad is simply that celebrities you care about are now getting to the age where they are more likely to die, unlike previous years when celebrities your parents cared about were dying. You're getting older, and so are your heroes.

5. Celebrities do not die in groups of 3; they die all the time and we group them in 3s because we like order.

6. 2017 is likely to be the same. Sorry."

Also, I think that there is a generational difference in play now. Baby Boomers as a group never embraced the Internet as fully as either Gen X or the Millennials. When the icons and heroes of the Baby Boomers passed away, there was relatively less talk about it online. But now Gen X is losing their celebs, and they are talking about it online in a big way.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChristopherMD, Cranberries, Colorcrayons, birdman37

More
29 Dec 2016 19:39 #241509 by Hex Sinister
Replied by Hex Sinister on topic RIP Princess

Shellhead wrote: 1. 2016 is a pretty typical year for celebrity deaths.

2. The number of such deaths usually increases in winter months.

3. The number of celebrities dying relatively young (~50-60) this year is pretty typical.

4. The reason it seems particularly bad is simply that celebrities you care about are now getting to the age where they are more likely to die, unlike previous years when celebrities your parents cared about were dying. You're getting older, and so are your heroes.

5. Celebrities do not die in groups of 3; they die all the time and we group them in 3s because we like order.

6. 2017 is likely to be the same. Sorry."

Thanks, C3P0

More
29 Dec 2016 20:38 - 29 Dec 2016 20:41 #241512 by Black Barney
Replied by Black Barney on topic RIP Princess
Shell's Keith Richards post is incredible.

2016 has been an outstanding year for me. I feel like I can't even talk or admit that out loud.

I think I'm the only guy that didn't beat off to the Jabba Palace outfit. It was hot when she kissed her brother though.

It's going to be weird seeing her in the next Star Wars movie since her scenes were all wrapped up at the time of filming. They better not blue ghost her just to be cute.

Did she do anything other than Star Wars? I feel like Mark Hamill and Lando has better careers and that’s really saying something.

I don't know how the Harrison Ford affair stayed under wraps all this time. It shows how normal an occurrence that was back in the day. Today we hear about Scarlett with someone in an elevator. Who cares.

Anyway I played Star Wars CCG for a bit and I can't tell you how my heart would palpitate when I'd drop Leia Organa on the table. Especially if I could pair her up with her sporting blaster.

She's as iconic as they come. At first I was upset that she was in front of Bowie in that picture, but now I'm OK with it.

60 is seriously pretty young to die for a woman. I mean I'm not going deep but I'll beat 60
Last edit: 29 Dec 2016 20:41 by Black Barney.

More
29 Dec 2016 21:04 #241513 by Cranberries
Replied by Cranberries on topic RIP Princess
We were at the City Creek mall in Salt Lake City and had stepped into a Microsoft store to warm up. All of the employees were so desperate to help someone. They were all dressed like alternate universe Apple employees--not quite as "cool", something was off, like when you eat ice cream in another country and it isn't the same. Still, those Surfaces are kind of interesting. Then I checked out this giant 32" all-in-one pc with a gorgeous monitor, opened the browser and BAM like a kick in the gut. Also, after spending her entire life being brutally, bipolar-ly frank and honest, I'm offended by those photoshopped images of The Force Awakens Leia that are making the rounds. She was the hot, cool older babysitter who turned into the hilarious crazy aunt.

More
29 Dec 2016 22:50 #241516 by jeb
Replied by jeb on topic RIP Princess
Barney, she was in THE BLUES BROTHERS, and she was an extremely successful author. She also put bipolar disorder on the national consciousness.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChristopherMD, Black Barney

More
30 Dec 2016 01:01 #241522 by KingPut
Replied by KingPut on topic RIP Princess

cranberries wrote: She was the hot, cool older babysitter who turned into the hilarious crazy aunt.

Wow, Absolute brilliant, poetry, Exactly I how I feel about Carrie Fisher.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.294 seconds