October 09, 2023
2290 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2506 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk abut Movies & TV here. Just tell us what you have been watching. Have hyper-academic discussions on visual semiotics. Whatever, it's all good.

Last Jedi trailer

More
14 Apr 2017 18:14 #246587 by Black Barney
Replied by Black Barney on topic Last Jedi trailer
Oh no, nothing's worse than that

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 Apr 2017 10:15 #246595 by Legomancer
Replied by Legomancer on topic Last Jedi trailer

SuperflyTNT wrote: I think a new "order" will emerge. Kind of like a new Jedi order but that will remain completely independent and devoted to the balance.

What even the fuck is supposedly so great about balance.

"Good must have evil"
"What? Why?"
"For balance."
"Is balance good? Is it better than good? Because good is, you know, pretty good"
The following user(s) said Thank You: bryce0lynch, Colorcrayons

More
15 Apr 2017 10:40 #246596 by stoic
Replied by stoic on topic Last Jedi trailer
I'm content with my golden memories of the first two Star Wars movies, and, being disappointed and Ewoked in the third.

These new rebooted ones...NO THANKS--they've sucked so far.

More
15 Apr 2017 12:04 #246598 by Jackwraith
Replied by Jackwraith on topic Last Jedi trailer
[Moved it, Grudunza.]

SuperflyTNT wrote: I'm still of the mind that Luke is a whiny bitch still.

"the Jedi should end...." sounds like something a fucking loser would say.

Luke's always been a whiny bitch. Probably told this story before, but back when we were running 5th Panel Comics, we were doing one of our last shows at the Motor City Comic Con and Phil Brown (Uncle Owen) had the misfortune to be placed across the aisle from us. I say "misfortune" because the way to get noticed and make sales as a small press was usually to be as loud and obnoxious as possible. We were good at that. So, seeing Uncle Owen, we immediately proceeded to quote Luke's whiniest lines from the first trilogy as loudly as we could for much of the first two days of the Con: "I was gonna go into Tosche Station to get some power converterrrrrrs!" "Why can't we go see Master Yoda nowwwwww?!" It took about an hour of that before Phil, who was quite the aged man by then, was staring daggers (lightsabers?) at us across the aisle, which only added dilithium crystals to the fusion reaction, as it were (we've crossed the "Star" streams; meta destruction!)

The upside of us being assholes was that we attracted the attention of both Caroline Blakiston (Mon Mothma) and Jeremy Bulloch (Boba Fett), who were also there doing the autograph thing. Jeremy was a very nice, soft-spoken guy (which made us shut up a little bit on Sunday) and Caroline was a hoot. She loved that we were such nerds that we could quote The Avengers ("Do you always arrange to take your calls in a lingerie department?") and basically hung out with us the whole weekend when she wasn't signing. Made friends with GWAR that show, too.

On topic. I think MB's mention of the actual role of the Jedi might be pertinent, since it should have been obvious to anyone that the Republic in the debacle that was Force Awakens was essentially playing the role of the US, foreign policy-wise. They were funding an insurgent force in a neighboring state that they weren't technically at war with. In that respect, it's not too difficult to make the leap that, at some point, the Jedi had gone from being peacemakers to enforcers. Why would the Republic and the Jedi have stood so blithely by while the Trade Federation was blockading a member of the Republic in the first prequel? However, that whole storyline, as reasonable as it might be, seems slightly beyond either the usual fun-and-games intent of Abrams or his apparent dedication to fan service at the expense of all else with his first film. It sounds interesting enough for me to actually pay attention, which is probably why it won't happen.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Columbob

More
15 Apr 2017 14:30 - 15 Apr 2017 14:30 #246603 by Gary Sax
Replied by Gary Sax on topic Last Jedi trailer
Yeah, sounds like they're going to riff off of what they did in the Clone Wars. Really pay off the idea of Ahsoka Tano walking away from the Order at the end of the series because it was deeply disturbing. I like the direction.
Last edit: 15 Apr 2017 14:30 by Gary Sax.

More
16 Apr 2017 09:54 #246630 by Legomancer
Replied by Legomancer on topic Last Jedi trailer
The more Star Wars there's been the less I've been interested. I've said before that I'm mainly interested in the original first movie and little else. It's a fun, brisk action movie in which a dumb kid gets caught up in a big fight and becomes a hero. Making it "deeper" and "more mature" just didn't pay off for me. I don't care about the history of the Jedi. I don't care about Darth Vader's origin and "redemption". I sure as hell don't care about the Skywalker family tree, which severely ruined the first one for me. I like unwitting heroes; I'm not so much a big fan of magical royal bloodlines.

Rogue One is the only one since then that I can really rally around, because it continued the story I like: that of the scrappy Rebellion fighting against the Empire. Naturally there are still Daddy issues involved because it's a) a Star Wars film and b) a nerd film, but at least it's not simpering over Papa while people are fucking dying. Jyn pulls herself together and does the job that needs to be done, and I like that.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shellhead, Black Barney, Colorcrayons, GorillaGrody

More
16 Apr 2017 10:27 #246631 by Black Barney
This trailer was a ton of meh for me. I don't really like the villain that much, and I'm not sure how nuts I'll be about Luke. Going to be tough after Rogue One which was just so raw

More
16 Apr 2017 16:42 #246636 by Ancient_of_MuMu
Replied by Ancient_of_MuMu on topic Last Jedi trailer
I was amazed at how underwhelmed I was with the trailer. Maybe the excitement of not having a new film for years has work off.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

More
16 Apr 2017 16:43 #246637 by Black Barney
As soon as BB8 rolled on the screen, I was sad for K-S0

More
16 Apr 2017 17:46 #246640 by dysjunct
Replied by dysjunct on topic Last Jedi trailer
Totally uninterested but I'll go see it anyway. The release date coincides with the birthday of a friend who loved SW but died last year, so my game group now has a thing of seeing a movie on or around his birthday.

More
16 Apr 2017 20:03 #246645 by Sevej
Replied by Sevej on topic Last Jedi trailer
I'm still stoked to see it, but this trailer does nothing.

More
27 Oct 2017 15:28 #256466 by ChristopherMD
Replied by ChristopherMD on topic Last Jedi trailer
Someone at work told me that tickets went on sale already. Managed to get the only good seat left for release day afternoon. Normally I wait a week or two to avoid the crowds but its fucking Star Wars. Will probably see it again a couple weeks later with friends too. On the flipside I doubt I'll even see the Solo movie in theaters. Just no interest in origin stories.

More
27 Oct 2017 16:09 - 27 Oct 2017 16:09 #256469 by Black Barney
Barnes is going to lose his shit if we talk about this before December
Last edit: 27 Oct 2017 16:09 by Black Barney.

More
28 Oct 2017 05:57 #256486 by __
Replied by __ on topic Last Jedi trailer

SuperflyTNT wrote: I'm still of the mind that Luke is a whiny bitch still.

"the Jedi should end...." sounds like something a fucking loser would say.

haha yes! he spent the original trilogy bitching about wanting to be a Jedi, and now he had his run he wants to bitch so no one else can have a turn, like those annoying kids at school

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.188 seconds