October 09, 2023
2448 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2647 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk abut Movies & TV here. Just tell us what you have been watching. Have hyper-academic discussions on visual semiotics. Whatever, it's all good.

Dune Reboot

More
19 Apr 2017 06:00 #246737 by Nodens
Replied by Nodens on topic Dune Reboot

Shellhead wrote: it would take a special actor to look as physically frail as Elric and yet not seem like a joke in the combat scenes. Ideally, such an actor would also be good at delivering intellectual dialogue as well.

I think that lanky guy from the Expanse might work. Tom Jane. While an HBO Series on Elric sounds like a great idea on this forum, it would require a lot of work to avoid just being a shitty reenactment of the Witcher video games.

Mostly agree with Mr. Barnes on adaptability of Gibson or Elric. As for Lovecraft on the big screen, let me say that Hellboy is probably as close as possible with that kind of budget, trying to do an entertaining forgettable popcorn flick.
Another problematic point to consider about Dune would be that it might not really be SciFi. Beneath all that psy-trance, religion stuff IN SPACE is a very simple story about Jesus, oil and the middle east. Just sayin'

Vlad wrote: Jodorowsky doesn't get the book, and I think he doesn't get sci-fi/fantasy in general.

You should totally read some of those comic books, absolutely worth it. Valerian, too.
Of course a director like Jodorowsky would have never been able to not alienate most of the viewers. He didn't give a rat's ass about anything besides his vision. His films are unwatchable. His books are genius.
The following user(s) said Thank You: drewcula

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 Apr 2017 09:13 #246742 by Legomancer
Replied by Legomancer on topic Dune Reboot
Jodorowsky's Dune was a fun documentary, and would have produced an interesting movie, but it was pretty clear he didn't care how much, in the end it would have resembled the ideas and story from the book. I'm not a purist, I ain't give a fuck if Paul's hair is blond or whatever, but if you're starting with Dune and calling it Dune, then I'd like for it to finish with Dune and not Jodorowsky's Fever Dream That Had The Word Dune Whispered To It Over A Walkie-Talkie. Even though I like Wes Anderson films, to a large extent, I'm not down for watching an auteur just jizz into a camera.

I watched the Sci-Fi Dune and the only thing I remember was feeling like I was watching a Sunday School group repurpose their production of Godspell into a telenovela.

I guess for me you gotta bring something to the table that beats either just rereading the book or rewatching the Lynch version.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shellhead, allismom3

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.475 seconds