October 09, 2023
2297 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2511 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk abut Movies & TV here. Just tell us what you have been watching. Have hyper-academic discussions on visual semiotics. Whatever, it's all good.

TWIN PEAKS

More
22 May 2017 12:29 #248847 by Michael Barnes
TWIN PEAKS was created by Michael Barnes
OMG THAT GLASS BOX.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 May 2017 13:29 - 22 May 2017 13:32 #248852 by bendgar
Replied by bendgar on topic TWIN PEAKS
Symbolic of the show? Television in general? Loving it so far. Full disclosure, I am only halfway through ep.2.
Last edit: 22 May 2017 13:32 by bendgar.

More
22 May 2017 14:11 #248858 by Michael Barnes
Replied by Michael Barnes on topic TWIN PEAKS
Ha! "Keep watching it until something appears". I had not thought about that.

Wonder who the "billionaire" is trying to catch something out of the Black Lodge...very interesting!

Evil Coop is great. You know he's evil because he has slightly longer hair. And BOB.

More
22 May 2017 15:06 #248859 by bendgar
Replied by bendgar on topic TWIN PEAKS
*slightly :)

More
22 May 2017 18:46 #248871 by Black Barney
Replied by Black Barney on topic TWIN PEAKS

Michael Barnes wrote: OMG THAT GLASS BOX.

Goddamit now i watched it and am No longer well

More
22 May 2017 19:08 #248872 by Michael Barnes
Replied by Michael Barnes on topic TWIN PEAKS
SHIT WAS CRAZY!

That is one of Lynch's best horror concepts to date...the whole setup was just mind blowing, and then the payoff...good grief!

It's hard to say where this is going, but so far so good...I really like how it is MUCH less soapy/quirky than the first two seasons, which was kind of a weakness. It's pushing more into the darker, supernatural stuff which I like. Of course I am one of the 17 people that loved Fire Walk With Me. But it is still really funny and more than a little goofy, so it is still in line with the earlier shows. PLEASE tell me Agent Cole is coming...my favorite character next to Coop, of course.

Trotting out the characters and catching us up with them was sort of clumsy ("Lucy Brennan"), but it was fun to see the familiar cast- especially the Log Lady, who passed away just recently.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Frohike

More
22 May 2017 23:13 #248884 by hotseatgames
Replied by hotseatgames on topic TWIN PEAKS
Just watched parts 1 and 2... that was pretty messed up. I'm not sure I'm up for a show that will very likely make no sense and not pay off. I'm already watching a bizarro show in American Gods. I'll probably give episode 3 a shot and see what happens.

More
23 May 2017 12:10 #248899 by Vlad
Replied by Vlad on topic TWIN PEAKS
My experience with Twin Peaks revival has been kinda Lynchian in itself...
So, I was pretty much counting weeks to the premiere, talking with my wife about it, reading whatever scraps came up on the internet. To put it in context. Back in the day, I could talk hours about The Lost Highway, my wife and I marathoned Twin Peaks when we started dating, and wouldn't miss any Lynch.
So, the day arrives, we put kids to bed, get in front of the TV. And, suddenly, I tell her, without any previous thinking: "I am not sure I'm actually interested in watching this." And she replies with a sigh of relief, "Me neither."
So, we watched the HBO film about Bernie Madoff instead and really enjoyed it.
Why? No clue.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shellhead, Erik Twice

More
23 May 2017 12:30 - 23 May 2017 16:11 #248900 by Grudunza
Replied by Grudunza on topic TWIN PEAKS
I loved the film, too, Barnes. It almost seemed like that was what he really wanted to make, and slogged through the series (well, esp. season 2) in order to be able to make that on his own terms. As a portrait of a killer (and moreso, a victim), it's powerful, and even moving.

I saw the premiere last night and yeah, I'm back on board. I had meant to rewatch the series and the movie this past year but only got a couple episodes in. But it didn't matter. Sure, this calls back some things, but seems to stand on its own.

A few of the interactions and dialogue exchanges felt a little clunky, and as expected some things are just inscrutable. One moment involving a certain former character (more ways than one) in the Black Lodge was both horrific and laughable in the way it looked. In any other hands I'd have thought that unintentional.

The small town humorous character stuff was really nice. Today, I think of that as Fargo-esque, but of course Lynch was doing that long before the Coens, and I suppose Northern Exposure also did that pretty well back in its day.

I loved the whole thing with the school principal and his wife and how beautifully twisted that turned out. Not sure if there's more there, but it was great as part of this first episode.

Doppelganger Dale and that part of the story is something I don't really get at all, but also don't care. It's fun to watch. (Edit: forgot about the season 2 finale, which explains this... duh.)

And the glass box... too cool.

Felt like he stretched about 1:30 of material into the two hours, but that fits with all of these new anthology series, where if they're 10 episodes they probably would have been better in 8, and so forth. Still, this type of format is perfect for Lynch and this material.
Last edit: 23 May 2017 16:11 by Grudunza.

More
23 May 2017 14:51 - 23 May 2017 17:49 #248916 by Frohike
Replied by Frohike on topic TWIN PEAKS
I hadn't primed myself with a "refresher" from the first two seasons but the amount of material that came echoing back as soon as I began watching this was nearly overwhelming. When Lawrence Jacoby came out with his signature glasses, looking 25 years older and going further with his creepy-goofy persona, sequestered in the woods with... lots of shovels, or when Log Lady gave a deeply self-aware performance from her literal proximity with death, I wondered to myself, "has this '25 years later' conceit ever been used this deftly in television ever before?" I'm guessing it hasn't. I'll admit that my reaction was somewhat amplified by a healthy dose of Indica that I'd taken before the show, which made those long Lynchian stretches where he seemingly takes you hostage as a spectator (the glass box, the long slow creep of Cooper/BOB's headlights on a night drive, the stretches of time punctuated by a gramophone crackle that is supposed to signal some way back from the lodge) that much more harrowing and interminable, which was great.
Last edit: 23 May 2017 17:49 by Frohike.

More
23 May 2017 14:58 #248919 by Shellhead
Replied by Shellhead on topic TWIN PEAKS
I watched a couple of Twin Peaks episodes way back in the day. At the time, it seemed to me that the deliberate pacing and quality cinematography created the illusion that something important was happening, but the lack of payoff made me realize that it was just a joke on the viewers.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Vlad

More
23 May 2017 15:59 #248929 by Colorcrayons
Replied by Colorcrayons on topic TWIN PEAKS

Vlad wrote: "I am not sure I'm actually interested in watching this." And she replies with a sigh of relief, "Me neither."

Why? No clue.

Prolly just not in the right mood for it.

To quote another famous Lynch film:

"Not in the mood?!
Moods are for cattle and love play!"

More
23 May 2017 16:02 #248930 by hotseatgames
Replied by hotseatgames on topic TWIN PEAKS
Just watched episode 3. Yeah... I'm not in the mood for this nonsense either.

More
23 May 2017 16:19 #248935 by Vlad
Replied by Vlad on topic TWIN PEAKS

Shellhead wrote: I watched a couple of Twin Peaks episodes way back in the day. At the time, it seemed to me that the deliberate pacing and quality cinematography created the illusion that something important was happening, but the lack of payoff made me realize that it was just a joke on the viewers.

I think you've hit the nail in the head, Shellhead. I don't know what frustrated me more about the original: either the lack of any possibly logical explanation, or the instances when they were trying to provide some kind of supernatural explanation, or maybe the long pointless fillers in between.

More
23 May 2017 16:45 #248938 by southernman
Replied by southernman on topic TWIN PEAKS
What the fuck have I got myself into.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.221 seconds