October 09, 2023
2451 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2654 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk abut Movies & TV here. Just tell us what you have been watching. Have hyper-academic discussions on visual semiotics. Whatever, it's all good.

TWIN PEAKS

More
23 May 2017 21:12 #248946 by bendgar
Replied by bendgar on topic TWIN PEAKS
I feel like I am watching 5 different shoes cut together and I PRAY that the idiot-coop storyline ends soon. *almost through episode. 4*

There is genius and stupidity here. Hope I can have the wisdom to descern the two.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Grudunza

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 May 2017 01:34 #248955 by Grudunza
Replied by Grudunza on topic TWIN PEAKS
Well, whatever it is... it's not about the bunny.

:D
The following user(s) said Thank You: bendgar, southernman, jpat

More
25 May 2017 01:51 #249067 by Frohike
Replied by Frohike on topic TWIN PEAKS
In case anyone's interested, the Idle Thumbs guys launched a Twin Peaks Rewatch podcast awhile ago (while they were going through the original series) and started posting new episodes with the current season. It's a fun podcast to follow, particularly if you're going back through the old seasons.

www.idlethumbs.net/twinpeaks
The following user(s) said Thank You: charlest

More
25 May 2017 22:08 - 25 May 2017 22:08 #249110 by Grudunza
I think it's safe to say that episode 4 of the new season will really try people's patience. Whew. It's a rough one to get through in some ways, especially Kyle McLachlan's character in the early scenes. That said, there are some highlights, especially a speech by a well-known actor who plays the son of Andy and what's-the-ditzy-secretary's-name. That had me really eye-rolling for a bit, but then becomes brilliantly funny in the weird way that Lynch can be.
Last edit: 25 May 2017 22:08 by Grudunza.
The following user(s) said Thank You: bendgar, jpat, Frohike

More
26 May 2017 00:49 #249113 by Frohike
https://imgur.com/gallery/K77Lr
The following user(s) said Thank You: Grudunza

More
26 May 2017 08:55 #249124 by Msample
Replied by Msample on topic TWIN PEAKS
Back when the original series was on I was living with a group of people whose interests tended to the total opposite of mine , watching stuff that when I tried to watch I absolutely couldn't stand. They were all over Twin Peaks and were fanatics about it, so I figured I'd hate it.

More
26 May 2017 09:06 - 26 May 2017 09:07 #249126 by jpat
Replied by jpat on topic TWIN PEAKS
Very good stuff so far. Have loved pretty much everything about it. 'Course, I'm old enough to have watched the original in my dorm room with a bunch of friends, so that may make a bit of difference.
Last edit: 26 May 2017 09:07 by jpat.

More
26 May 2017 09:57 #249131 by Grudunza

Frohike wrote: https://imgur.com/gallery/K77Lr

Hellooooooo! :D

I wonder if David Lynch's middle finger on screen the whole hour might have accomplished about the same thing for that last episode. But then, as annoying as it was in some respects, I still liked it. Whatever it is (not about the bunny), I'm really glad it's back.

More
26 May 2017 12:20 - 26 May 2017 18:12 #249141 by Frohike

Grudunza wrote: I wonder if David Lynch's middle finger on screen the whole hour might have accomplished about the same thing for that last episode. But then, as annoying as it was in some respects, I still liked it. Whatever it is (not about the bunny), I'm really glad it's back.

Hey, at least we're not spending entire episodes on a James Hurley subplot :P

But seriously, at this point it seems as if Lynch himself is holding poor Cooper hostage as much as the extra-dimensional forces that are constantly juggling him in the diegesis. It's obviously deliberate & calculated. He's taking the character most viewers are invested in seeing return to enact agency in the story and trapping him. It's like an echo of the end of season 2. And much like the shots he composes and sustains for uncomfortable lengths of time, he's probably going to dangle Cooper around a bit longer than most of us would like.
Last edit: 26 May 2017 18:12 by Frohike.
The following user(s) said Thank You: bendgar, Grudunza

More
05 Jun 2017 09:04 #249423 by charlest
Replied by charlest on topic TWIN PEAKS
I just caught up so can join in this thread. I've enjoyed this season thus far MUCH more than season 2 and even more than season 1. As Barnes said, much of the previous seasons seemed to be dominated by that soap opera stuff, which was horrible. Thankfully we don't have to sit through awkward meals on wheels drop offs at the Orchid man's house.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Frohike

More
05 Jun 2017 13:37 #249440 by Grudunza
Dig yourself out of the shit for $29.99!

I couldn't believe it when I found out the other day that this will be 18 episodes. Probably at least a few too long, regardless, but given that scope, that makes the previous episode (#4) have a better pace for me. I could already appreciate the slow dumb Dougie stuff better in episode 5, and the setup and all that had happened prior helped.
The following user(s) said Thank You: bendgar

More
05 Jun 2017 16:30 #249456 by jpat
Replied by jpat on topic TWIN PEAKS
We were supposed to go see Fire Walk with Me (which my wife and I have both seen before) at a local independent cinema, but it sold out, so we watched it at home. I remember liking it (watching it quite a bit after the series) and being troubled by it, and I think that stands. The tonal shift in FWWM is a better preparation for the revival than the original TV series. Bob continues to scare. I do have some problems lining up the Donna of the film (played by Moira Kelly) with the Donna of the series (played by Lara Flynn Boyle), not just in appearance and apparent age but also in what feels like something of a disconnect between the TV show's portrayal of her and the film's. I'm not suggesting that the movie Donna should've been completely transformed by her experiences in the film, and you can see how things line up (e.g., Donna wanting and wearing Laura's sunglasses after Laura tells her not to wear her things or be like her), but I suppose that's all pretty minor. There some intensely striking elements in the movie, and there are a fair number of things that "pay off" (if that's even the way to think about it) in the revival, as Lynch promised.

More
06 Jun 2017 02:25 #249474 by southernman
Replied by southernman on topic TWIN PEAKS
Are we allowed to mention David Lynch and 'The Emperor's new clothes' in the same sentence ?
The following user(s) said Thank You: birdman37

More
06 Jun 2017 08:52 #249482 by Shellhead
Replied by Shellhead on topic TWIN PEAKS

Southernman wrote: Are we allowed to mention David Lynch and 'The Emperor's new clothes' in the same sentence ?

Yes, but only if we stay positive about it. The Emperor's new clothes are splendid, and it would be gauche to suggest that he is perhaps also naked.
The following user(s) said Thank You: southernman

More
06 Jun 2017 10:21 - 06 Jun 2017 10:25 #249490 by bendgar
Replied by bendgar on topic TWIN PEAKS
I'm kind of pulled a bit out of the show's "reality" by all the big-named actors. Am I the only one who thought he heard Tom Sizemore was dead???
*edit* That car explosion! HA!
Last edit: 06 Jun 2017 10:25 by bendgar.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.225 seconds