October 09, 2023
2291 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2509 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk abut Movies & TV here. Just tell us what you have been watching. Have hyper-academic discussions on visual semiotics. Whatever, it's all good.

TWIN PEAKS

More
27 Jun 2017 15:35 #250514 by Unicron
Replied by Unicron on topic TWIN PEAKS

charlest wrote: It's more about the journey than the destination.

The mantra of first year film students everywhere

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 Jun 2017 18:27 #250519 by Grudunza
Replied by Grudunza on topic TWIN PEAKS
I remember thinking that first ten minutes with evil Coop and the hobo ghosts was really bizarre, and then soon had forgotten about that. Whatever it all meant, it was beautiful surrealism to behold. And a well-needed break from Dougie Jones.
The following user(s) said Thank You: bendgar

More
28 Jun 2017 01:14 #250527 by boothwah
Replied by boothwah on topic TWIN PEAKS
My short term memory sucks. This is the second time I've opened this thread thinking........boobs?

/5318008
//Was just rewatching the Stargate SG1 pilot with the kids....forgot it aired on HBO
///TJI321
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

More
08 Jul 2017 17:17 #251024 by southernman
Replied by southernman on topic TWIN PEAKS
Hey, I know David Lynch gets a lot of free passes for being David Lynch but I'm at episode 6 and this is just crap, probably only be enjoyed (if you can say that) by people who are telling themselves something special is going on - hell, the only thing I'm looking forward to now is the band at the end of each episode.

More
08 Jul 2017 18:58 #251025 by Frohike
Replied by Frohike on topic TWIN PEAKS

Southernman wrote: Hey, I know David Lynch gets a lot of free passes for being David Lynch but I'm at episode 6 and this is just crap, probably only be enjoyed (if you can say that) by people who are telling themselves something special is going on - hell, the only thing I'm looking forward to now is the band at the end of each episode.

You know, it's 2017. You can have an informed, dismissive opinion about a cultural product and express it clearly and confidently without leaning on the tired crutch of denigrating someone else's enjoyment or appreciation of it.

This applies to lots of things. Just because you don't get it doesn't always mean there's nothing to get. Context.

Ok, back to lurking.
The following user(s) said Thank You: charlest

More
08 Jul 2017 21:48 #251028 by Black Barney
Replied by Black Barney on topic TWIN PEAKS
I think you're reading too much malice and bad intent behind Southerns post, Frohike. I think it's pretty clear he just doesn't like the show and is knocking it in a humourous way. I mean, were talking about Twin Peaks here. The show, by design, puts people off.

Think you're being too hard on Southern, is all. With peace and love...
The following user(s) said Thank You: Frohike

More
08 Jul 2017 23:40 - 09 Jul 2017 04:49 #251030 by Frohike
Replied by Frohike on topic TWIN PEAKS
I understand and I don't see malice. I also get why someone wouldn't appreciate what Lynch is doing here. I'm obviously a biased fan but I'm also starting to think that there are signs that this revival may not have needed the 18 episodes that were squeezed out of Showtime. Lynch may have gotten just a bit too much freedom to flail around in.

Be that as it may, I'm disappointed when I see someone's strong statement of personal opinion needlessly weaken itself by jabbing at an imaginary audience of undiscerning fans, assuming that their enjoyment is somehow, through some bizarre singularity in cultural appreciation, part of a mass delusion. It makes that opinion less self-assured.

It's a common trap to look at something out of context, or at least out of a context that's relevant to you, and rather than acknowledging that you're simply experiencing something you don't care for... lapse into the idea that, somehow, you have a more "honest" perspective on this inscrutable object than those equally inscrutable, possibly deceived others, whose valuation of it this must be part hoax, part meme, part snobbery, part overinvestment. To that I say, hogwash. Your perspective isn't privileged, it's just different.

This gets into a register of nerd culture criticism that triggers me but I think I'll just stop there. I felt rant-ey today for some reason.
Last edit: 09 Jul 2017 04:49 by Frohike.

More
09 Jul 2017 02:07 #251031 by Grudunza
Oh it's all over the place, which includes brilliant, boring, visionary, maddening, etc. But I'll take some of the lows for some of the highs. Heck, the whole Dougie Jones thing alone has both big highs and lows. I would say I didn't expect anything different from Lynch and a new visit to Twin Peaks, but "unexpected" is another adjective that applies to some things.

If you've come this far, you owe it to yourself to stick around and see the crazy batshit layered on super thick in a couple more episodes. First, you'll get some floor sweeping, though, and then a notable performance by a very big name band (especially in the 90's). Then strap in tight. Whether you like it or get it or want to kick in your TV, I think you'll have to agree that it's at least "something special."

More
09 Jul 2017 12:58 #251034 by Black Barney
Replied by Black Barney on topic TWIN PEAKS
I think your both stupid.
The following user(s) said Thank You: dontbecruel

More
09 Jul 2017 16:50 #251036 by dontbecruel
Replied by dontbecruel on topic TWIN PEAKS

Black Barney wrote: I think your both stupid.

you're stupid :)

More
09 Jul 2017 18:28 #251037 by southernman

Frohike wrote:

Southernman wrote: Hey, I know David Lynch gets a lot of free passes for being David Lynch but I'm at episode 6 and this is just crap, probably only be enjoyed (if you can say that) by people who are telling themselves something special is going on - hell, the only thing I'm looking forward to now is the band at the end of each episode.

You know, it's 2017. You can have an informed, dismissive opinion about a cultural product and express it clearly and confidently without leaning on the tired crutch of denigrating someone else's enjoyment or appreciation of it.

This applies to lots of things. Just because you don't get it doesn't always mean there's nothing to get. Context.

Ok, back to lurking.

Hey no denigration there so get that massive nerd chip off your shoulder. It's not being dismissive saying dedicated fans think there is something special going on (there may well be, I have not said there isn't), and if there is and they appreciate it then they have had a compliment from me (even if there isn't it's still a basic compliment as they obviously get David Lynch a lot more than I do).
And at least you acknowledge that he may be taking a bit of the piss by using all 18 episodes he has be given for telling a 12 episode story. Can anyone say that he could have got away getting all plot and facts from episode 4 to 6 done in 40 minutes and the rest could have been DLC for true aficionados.

More
09 Jul 2017 21:47 #251045 by Shellhead
Replied by Shellhead on topic TWIN PEAKS
Fun people in my high school chemistry class. Sometimes it was hard for the teacher to get our attention at the start of class. Then he would light up a bunsen burner and start boiling some water in a beaker, and that always got our attention. Lynch is boiling some water right now, but it remains to be seen if he has anything to say.

More
10 Jul 2017 02:38 #251047 by Grudunza
i am not your foot
The following user(s) said Thank You: bfkiller, Frohike

More
10 Jul 2017 04:15 #251048 by southernman

Shellhead wrote: Fun people in my high school chemistry class. Sometimes it was hard for the teacher to get our attention at the start of class. Then he would light up a bunsen burner and start boiling some water in a beaker, and that always got our attention. Lynch is boiling some water right now, but it remains to be seen if he has anything to say.

He hasn't lit the bunsen yet ...

More
27 Jul 2017 14:25 - 27 Jul 2017 14:25 #251753 by jpat
Replied by jpat on topic TWIN PEAKS
I know that this show ain't everyone's cup of coffee, and I don't think it needs to be, but I've enjoyed it and enjoyed thinking about it more than any other show in a long time.
Last edit: 27 Jul 2017 14:25 by jpat.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.180 seconds