October 09, 2023
2290 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2507 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk abut Movies & TV here. Just tell us what you have been watching. Have hyper-academic discussions on visual semiotics. Whatever, it's all good.

TWIN PEAKS

More
27 Jul 2017 14:41 - 27 Jul 2017 14:42 #251755 by bfkiller
Replied by bfkiller on topic TWIN PEAKS
It is definitely its own thing. I'm not sure how much I like it, but it is compelling TV that I'll continue to watch to see what other bizarre things have been swimming around Lynch's head.

I do wish it was more like the original series, which was definitely more entertaining. I've watched that one start to finish 3 times. I doubt I will ever watch this new series again. There's just not enough to emotionally hold onto. I don't care about a single character this time around (with the possible exceptions of Bobby, Albert and Cole, but they're still not giving me enough to really care).
Last edit: 27 Jul 2017 14:42 by bfkiller.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 Jul 2017 12:22 #251785 by southernman
Replied by southernman on topic TWIN PEAKS

bfkiller wrote: It is definitely its own thing. I'm not sure how much I like it, but it is compelling TV that I'll continue to watch to see what other bizarre things have been swimming around Lynch's head.

I do wish it was more like the original series, which was definitely more entertaining. I've watched that one start to finish 3 times. I doubt I will ever watch this new series again. There's just not enough to emotionally hold onto. I don't care about a single character this time around (with the possible exceptions of Bobby, Albert and Cole, but they're still not giving me enough to really care).

Pretty much how I feel, I'm only watching - and I must stress only just hanging in - because I want an end to the story. I definitely will never watch this series again (it is a torture/boredom hybrid) and also agree about having no interest in any of the characters. He really is either getting his own back or taking the piss on a final blowout but the shows are 50% crap (to non-Lynchians), if they made him do it in the now-standard 10 episode season it may have been a widespread and critical success rather than an art house stunner.

More
31 Jul 2017 13:47 #251883 by bfkiller
You would think the series would start ramping up at this point but, as far as I can tell, nothing at all happened in the last episode. No plot advancement whatsoever. Might as well just had that guy sweep the floor for the whole 60 minutes.

I wish this return had been a two and a half hour Netflix exclusive movie or something instead of what this turned out to be. It has its moments, but it's mostly been boring, distant and cold.

(Though I did love the Dougie scene this week. That was pretty much perfect. Notably, the scene took about 20 seconds, not 15 minutes.)
The following user(s) said Thank You: southernman

More
31 Jul 2017 16:47 #251907 by Grudunza
Replied by Grudunza on topic TWIN PEAKS
Yeah, hoo boy. Episode 12 was a whole lot of nothing. I mean, yeah, there's some stuff going on, but just so slow and laborious, really. I know Lynch tries patience as a practice, and this may mean there's something big coming again, but wow, this was just difficult. You almost had to endure it.

Someone asked me recently what I would rate this new series, from 1-10. I said, "1-10." This episode being more in the 1 range.

More
03 Aug 2017 16:31 #252103 by southernman

Grudunza wrote: Yeah, hoo boy. Episode 12 was a whole lot of nothing. I mean, yeah, there's some stuff going on, but just so slow and laborious, really. I know Lynch tries patience as a practice, and this may mean there's something big coming again, but wow, this was just difficult. You almost had to endure it.

Someone asked me recently what I would rate this new series, from 1-10. I said, "1-10." This episode being more in the 1 range.

It went sub-zero for me. He's just taking the piss.

More
03 Aug 2017 16:52 #252104 by southernman
And then I watched another episode on American Gods and it must be the antithesis of Twin Peaks - shit, I'm sure if you put the script of episode 6 into a book it could be read as poetry, astounding series so far, whether it is good I don't know yet but it definitely is astounding.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nodens

More
03 Aug 2017 18:16 - 03 Aug 2017 18:17 #252107 by Shellhead
Replied by Shellhead on topic TWIN PEAKS
RUSSELL: Yeah. Anyway it's a ground breaking show.

ELAINE: Really? What is it about?

RUSSELL: (a little more enthusiastic) Well, really, it's very unusual. It's about nothing.

ELAINE: (surprised) What do you mean it's about nothing?

RUSSELL: For example, what did you do today?

ELAINE: Um, I got up. Um, I went to work. Then I came here.

RUSSELL: There's a show. that's a show.
Last edit: 03 Aug 2017 18:17 by Shellhead.

More
04 Aug 2017 14:09 #252140 by southernman
Oh if only it was as interesting as that. Seriously, I just surf on my laptop with the episodes on in the background, with subtitles on for the inevitable crap sound quality, and stick my head up when it sounds like you need to visually notice something. If it wasn't for my compulsion to know how a story ends I doubt I would have got past episode four.

More
04 Aug 2017 14:25 #252142 by Shellhead
Replied by Shellhead on topic TWIN PEAKS

Southernman wrote: Oh if only it was as interesting as that. Seriously, I just surf on my laptop with the episodes on in the background, with subtitles on for the inevitable crap sound quality, and stick my head up when it sounds like you need to visually notice something. If it wasn't for my compulsion to know how a story ends I doubt I would have got past episode four.

The story ends with millions of hipsters trolled. Some of them will sheepishly realize what happened, and the rest will deny it until the end of days.
The following user(s) said Thank You: southernman, Unicron

More
19 Aug 2017 14:44 #252672 by southernman
Episode 14 and stuff actually happened - it's like they rolled four episodes into one for the amount the story rolled on .... BUT with four episodes left I have this spine-chilling fear/revelation that there is a second season planned - FUUUUUCCCCk, I'm only just hanging on (taking all the discipline I can find left in me) sitting through this years 18 episodes of a shit quagmire that if it doesn't finish in a month then I'll be forced to wish the 'curse of 2016' on Lynch so there won't be another season 9to either endure or ignore).

More
02 Sep 2017 18:08 #253613 by southernman
Well episodes 15 & 16 followed on from 14 with plot moving well and some freaking strange shit arriving but making sense. Checking a wiki it does seem that this is the only season being made but as there are only two episodes left they are either going to have to be jam-packed with plot and resolution (well as much as you can expect in a Lynch show) or there will be another season.

More
05 Sep 2017 10:48 #253712 by bfkiller
Heh. Doesn't it feel good to finally have closure?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Grudunza

More
05 Sep 2017 11:20 - 05 Sep 2017 12:48 #253716 by Frohike
Replied by Frohike on topic TWIN PEAKS
I think this guy nailed it. It really tracks with what happens in those last few scenes:

Warning: Spoiler!
Last edit: 05 Sep 2017 12:48 by Frohike.
The following user(s) said Thank You: charlest

More
05 Sep 2017 14:35 #253723 by Frohike
Replied by Frohike on topic TWIN PEAKS
As for the overarching mythology that wraps around it, this is my personal take:

Warning: Spoiler!
The following user(s) said Thank You: charlest

More
05 Sep 2017 17:07 #253733 by Grudunza
Replied by Grudunza on topic TWIN PEAKS

bfkiller wrote: Heh. Doesn't it feel good to finally have closure?

LOL

Uh wow. Yeah. The whole of it feels like a pretty big troll by Lynch. Fun enough ride at times, but I wish that ride were about 5-6 hours shorter.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.242 seconds