October 09, 2023
2288 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2504 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk abut Movies & TV here. Just tell us what you have been watching. Have hyper-academic discussions on visual semiotics. Whatever, it's all good.

Movies you like but don't like the source material?

More
17 Jun 2017 16:40 #250070 by Jauron
Sitting here watching Hellboy 2 on TV and it reminded me how much I liked the first one, 2nd one was decent but not great. I remembered thinking at the time of watching the first one, THIS IS MY SHIT, the comics must be amazing. Unfortunately after reading some, I came away disappointed. . For some reason, the comics just didn't do it for me.

Constantine - The movie wasn't amazing, but I liked the ideas in the movies and thought, the comics must be great. Dammit I tried to like them but couldn't. The supernatural always seems to work this way for me, the subject matter is amazing, but for some reason most of the popular ones end up being terrible for my taste.

I liked the league of extraordinary gentlemen movie , again wasn't amazing but I thought the books / comics must be good, again the concepts seemed great, came away thinking this isn't for me.

Have you seen movies or shows that you thought would be even better as comics or books and then found out you didn't like the source material nearly as much? I'm probably my own worst enemy for this stuff, I really like certain concepts but the storytelling doesn't do it for me or the focus of the material are things I don't like.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Frohike

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 Jun 2017 16:52 #250071 by jay718
Wow. Never thought I'd hear someone say they enjoyed Constantine more than the Hellblazer comic.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
17 Jun 2017 17:09 - 17 Jun 2017 17:10 #250072 by Gary Sax
Starship Troopers---all time great film that EVICERATES the fascistic book it's based on

Kubrick---a couple of the kubrick movies where I read the source are better movies (the Shining, One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest)

Jurassic Park

I'm sure there are others.
Last edit: 17 Jun 2017 17:10 by Gary Sax.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Frohike, Nodens

More
17 Jun 2017 17:26 #250073 by Black Barney
The Passion of the Christ

I found the movie both sexier and jazzier
The following user(s) said Thank You: Matt Thrower, hotseatgames, Frohike

More
17 Jun 2017 17:48 #250075 by Erik Twice

Gary Sax wrote: Jurassic Park

I agree. I remember thinking that the original book is kind of mean and characters have very little personality.

More
17 Jun 2017 18:01 #250076 by Gregarius

Gary Sax wrote: Starship Troopers---all time great film that EVICERATES the fascistic book it's based on

Kubrick---a couple of the kubrick movies where I read the source are better movies (the Shining, One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest)

Jurassic Park

I agree about Shining and Cuckoo's Nest, but the latter wasn't Kubrick.

I really liked Fight Club a lot, but I thought the book was shite.

More
17 Jun 2017 18:36 #250077 by repoman
Logan's Run

An atrocious book. One of my all time favorite movies.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb, Nodens

More
17 Jun 2017 19:12 #250079 by OldHippy
Odd, I like League, Hellboy and Constantine better in comic format by far than the movies that came out of them...

In any case to answer the question the biggest example for me is the Godfather... I love the films but I really did not care for the book, I only read the first one. It was a fast read...pulpy, ok... but not memorable at all.

I actually prefer the Fear and Loathing film over the book... but only slightly.

Lord of the Rings is another one. I can't stand Tolkien's prose but in film form it works for me.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nodens

More
17 Jun 2017 19:22 #250080 by Gary Sax

Gregarius wrote:

Gary Sax wrote: Kubrick---a couple of the kubrick movies where I read the source are better movies (the Shining, One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest)

I agree about Shining and Cuckoo's Nest, but the latter wasn't Kubrick.

Ha. Right, just me doing the Jack Nicholson thing.

More
18 Jun 2017 00:17 #250088 by Forelle
Apocalypse Now

Heart of Darkness is only something like 70-80 pages, but it was one of the least enjoyable reading experiences I've ever had.

More
18 Jun 2017 10:51 #250091 by Black Barney
JJs right, Lord of the Rings is a perfect example

More
18 Jun 2017 11:59 #250092 by Legomancer
I'll second Starship Troopers.

More
18 Jun 2017 12:53 #250094 by SuperflyPete

jay718 wrote: Wow. Never thought I'd hear someone say they enjoyed Constantine more than the Hellblazer comic.

I'm another guy in that camp - not keen on Hellblazer but LooooooooooVed the film
The following user(s) said Thank You: stormseeker75

More
18 Jun 2017 15:48 - 18 Jun 2017 23:15 #250098 by scissors
Last edit: 18 Jun 2017 23:15 by scissors.

More
18 Jun 2017 18:35 #250099 by Josh Look

Jauron wrote: Sitting here watching Hellboy 2 on TV and it reminded me how much I liked the first one, 2nd one was decent but not great. I remembered thinking at the time of watching the first one, THIS IS MY SHIT, the comics must be amazing. Unfortunately after reading some, I came away disappointed. . For some reason, the comics just didn't do it for me.

Constantine - The movie wasn't amazing, but I liked the ideas in the movies and thought, the comics must be great. Dammit I tried to like them but couldn't. The supernatural always seems to work this way for me, the subject matter is amazing, but for some reason most of the popular ones end up being terrible for my taste.

I liked the league of extraordinary gentlemen movie , again wasn't amazing but I thought the books / comics must be good, again the concepts seemed great, came away thinking this isn't for me.

WOW. This enire post. Too each their own, but goddamn. Good topic though!

I'll throw in on Starship Troopers as well, but I'll add second Hunger Games movie. Those books aren't terrific and I don't even like the other movies, but i do really like that one.

I'm hoping the Ready Player One movie falls into this category. I still like Speilberg quite a bit, plus Simon Pegg is in it...but that book really *IS* utter shit. I haven't seen such heavy Kool Aid drinking over something in the nerd spectrum since the release of Eclipse.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.202 seconds