October 09, 2023
2289 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2505 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk abut Movies & TV here. Just tell us what you have been watching. Have hyper-academic discussions on visual semiotics. Whatever, it's all good.

Lord of the Rings prequel TV show

More
13 Nov 2017 17:31 #257581 by ufe20
https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2017/11/amazon-will-run-a-multi-season-lord-of-the-rings-prequel-tv-series/

So it seems that Amazon has the rights to make a multi season show taking place before Fellowship of the Ring. Not that I have high hopes for this but I wonder what it'll be. My money is on some sort of generic fetch quest with heroes from all over Middle Earth. Probably be after some sort of mcguffin that's retconned into being super important in defeating Sauron.

Or maybe there's an awesome story already written in all those posthumous Middle Earth books I never read?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Nov 2017 17:45 #257587 by Black Barney
How much you want to bet the promo will have two female elves kissing? I pray I’m wrong.
The following user(s) said Thank You: southernman

More
13 Nov 2017 17:46 #257588 by Shellhead
Hard pass from me. The main motivation behind this show is stupid greed, just like the decision to blow up the Hobbit into a movie trilogy padded out with rubbish ideas. There are some great fantasy stories out there that could benefit from television treatment, but instead Amazon is making a dumb bet on what they see as a sure thing. Then again, the Hobbit movies made money, so maybe there are enough suckers out there to go for this.

More
13 Nov 2017 18:54 #257593 by Michael Barnes
I'll give it a chance. Same as I would a Star Wars TV series. If it were the quality of Rebels or Clone Wars, it could be almost on the level of the films. Middle-Earth is a huge setting, and there are lots of different environments and cultures that could be respectfully explored and enlarged, in the same way that various LOTR games have over the years. I would want it to have NOTHING to do with the Ring or any of the main characters, though. No Gandalf, no Bilbo, No Frodo, no Gollum. Maybe not even Sauron or anything to do with that.

More
13 Nov 2017 19:07 - 13 Nov 2017 19:11 #257594 by ufe20
We can finally get the Tom Bombadil we deserve!

/s

And I wouldn't put much hope in no Gandalf. I guarantee he's somewhere in the first season, if not one of the main characters.
Last edit: 13 Nov 2017 19:11 by ufe20.

More
13 Nov 2017 19:28 #257598 by Black Barney
Im sure Bombadil will be played by a thinly disguised Rain Wilson

More
13 Nov 2017 19:32 #257599 by RobertB
ufe20 wrote:

Or maybe there's an awesome story already written in all those posthumous Middle Earth books I never read?

IIRC, there wasn't much with Sauron going on between Isildur's death and Bilbo getting the ring, him being nothing but a bad memory. It took him a while to get the ball rolling.

They should do Galadriel from back when she was a rebel in Valinor. Pissed-off Elven beauty that kicks ass, takes names, and gets thrown out the front door of Elf Central.

More
13 Nov 2017 20:25 #257602 by Shellhead
I've changed my mind, somewhat. TV shows rarely have the budget to justice to something like Middle-Earth, which is why I can't see Amazon able to afford a comparable quality director, cast, cgi, script, etc. Even the Game of Thrones has faltered in quality since they outpaced the material actually written by George R.R. Martin. But I could see an animated series set in Middle Earth working. They just need good writers, and then average quality animation and voice-acting would be enough.

More
13 Nov 2017 20:31 #257603 by Sagrilarus
They should take the milieu and adapt Dunsany's stories to it. A different short story each week. I'll wager the usual suspects will be in the episodes instead, to leverage their name value. But the question is this -- who will play them?

More
13 Nov 2017 22:30 - 13 Nov 2017 22:33 #257607 by repoman
Bashing on it when your knowledge beyond the announcement is practically nil makes you sound foolish.

Look, it could be great. Any...ANY...of the legends from the Silmarillion would make for an awesome series. As mentioned, the adventures of Galadriel alone would be cool. Been a long time since I read it but the story of the man and elf who fall in love, the dude who gets chained to the side of Melkors mountain, the secret elf city...all fabulous.

It could be the story of what happened to the rings of men or dwarves. How cool to see a story about the men of Westerness and their battle with the realm that was ruled by the then mortal Witch King? The setting is so deep all kinds of awesome are possible.

Granted it could suck and be something very tame with characters chosen for name recognition but Netflix can take chances and be bold as we have seen with awesome stuff like Stranger Things, Dare Devil and others.

So keep an open mind and have hope.

Edit: sorry this thing is on Amazon not Netflix but the principle is the same. Streaming service shows can be awesome.
Last edit: 13 Nov 2017 22:33 by repoman.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Matt Thrower, Gregarius

More
14 Nov 2017 01:54 #257610 by Msample
Funny comment from an AV Club article:

“Maybe Amazon can get David Simon to produce. It’s a gritty crime procedural about the effects of the pipeweed trade on the communities in downtown Bree.‘

We’re not gonna see Silmarillion stuff, the Tolkien estate won’t license that. Plenty of stuff to mine from the appendices of Lord of the Rings though.

More
14 Nov 2017 12:52 #257626 by Joebot

Msample wrote: Funny comment from an AV Club article:

“Maybe Amazon can get David Simon to produce. It’s a gritty crime procedural about the effects of the pipeweed trade on the communities in downtown Bree.‘

Oh man. This is a great idea.

"You come at the witch-king, you best not miss."

"Frodo comin', yo."

Anyway, I'm trying to be optimistic about this. I've never read any Tolkien beyond the core Hobbit / LOTR books, so I don't have a huge emotional investment in the material. In general, I'm excited to see more fantasy adaptations on TV. I think Game of Thrones is hugely entertaining. American Gods is great. Even The Magicians on SyFy is adequate (although the book isn't all that great to start with). I've never watched the Shannara series on MTV so I can't speak to that one.

If I was Jeff Bezos and I wanted to make my own GOT (which is clearly what he's after), I'd be looking at Joe Abercrombie's books. They're full of tits and violence, way more so than Tolkien. And they're pretty funny too.

And I've been saying this since I was thirteen years old, but I would LOVE to see a Dragonlance TV show.

More
14 Nov 2017 13:08 #257627 by RobertB
Msample wrote:

We’re not gonna see Silmarillion stuff, the Tolkien estate won’t license that. Plenty of stuff to mine from the appendices of Lord of the Rings though.

Do you think that the rights to the appendices in Lord of the Rings went with the trilogy? Not a rhetorical question. We need our resident lawyer on the case. I know that stuff in the back of LotR is even dryer than The Silmarillion, and I didn't think that was possible.

More
14 Nov 2017 13:53 #257628 by SuperflyPete
Instead of the “Duh Duh” from Law and Order it will have pan flute fanfares.

More
14 Nov 2017 15:54 #257631 by southernman
I'm bloody scared that with blood, violence, strong language, copious nudity and just plain nastiness being the norms for TV series from HBO, Amazon and Netflix these days that this could destroy the Tolkein lore.

On the same subject I saw a post that they're doing a Deadwood movie next year - again, not optimistic about that either, the final season was fucked up badly and TV has changed so much in the last dozen years I'd hate to think what they will do.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.737 seconds