October 09, 2023
2455 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2657 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk abut Movies & TV here. Just tell us what you have been watching. Have hyper-academic discussions on visual semiotics. Whatever, it's all good.

Have You Ever Walked Out on a Movie?

More
12 Apr 2018 03:46 #267343 by Matt Thrower

jay718 wrote: I walked out of Black Panther a few weeks back before it had even started. Although I'd bought roughly $30 worth of concessions, the ticket taker told me that unless I allowed him to search my 8 year old son's backpack for outside food and/or beverages he wouldn't allow us into the showing.

Jeez, is this a thing in America? I never buy food at the cinema, because it's so hideously overpriced. I just go in with my pockets bulging with enough drinks and popcorn for the whole family. Sometimes I even make it fresh at home before we go. No-one's ever batted an eyelid.

To answer your question: once, that I recall, in a cinema. It was an arthouse film based on The Tempest called Prospero's books and it was garbage.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Apr 2018 06:44 #267344 by siberianhusky
The only movie I've walked out is "The Great Gatsby" with DiCaprio.
I don't know what I've expected, maybe this movie is illustration for those who have read the novel (I haven't)
It was both boring and chaotic

More
12 Apr 2018 07:38 #267347 by Erik Twice
Not that I remember. I have seen some truly awful films, like Catwoman or the Mortadelo y Filemón movie but I was with other people so I didn't walk out. I wasn't paying much attention it in the later case, so I didn't mind much.

More
12 Apr 2018 07:43 #267348 by Josh Look
The Brothers Grimm and the second Pirates of the Carribean movie. I’ll take almost any of he Transformers movies (Revenge of the Fallen is surely worse) over those two trash heaps.

More
12 Apr 2018 08:08 #267349 by Jackwraith
Ah. Forgot. There was one we probably SHOULD have walked out on: World War Z. I was there with a bunch of friends from the local university's creative writing department and we all started driving trucks through the obvious holes in the script from the opening credits (How does a CIA officer imprisoned in Korea for the last few months know what's happening in Israel this week?) We thought people were going to get pissed at us because we were laughing so hard (Zombies surrounding a city with helicopters flying right overhead aren't disturbed by the daily living noise of thousands (millions?) of people, but start attacking when a few old guys start singing? Maybe the zombies weren't La La Land fans, either?) Just awful.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

More
12 Apr 2018 08:18 - 13 Apr 2018 09:16 #267350 by southernman
I'm not a big cinema goer and usually only go to movies I have an inkling about and know I will probably enjoy (pretty pointless not doing that with the cost of them these days) but me and my 10yr old lad walked out of Lemony Snicket's A Series of Unfortunate Events less than halfway through as we were bored shitless, his mum stayed and watched it though.
Last edit: 13 Apr 2018 09:16 by southernman.

More
12 Apr 2018 08:59 #267354 by Shellhead
I didn't walk out, but I did sleep through nearly all of Eraserhead.

More
12 Apr 2018 12:02 #267379 by Jexik

jay718 wrote: I walked out of Black Panther a few weeks back before it had even started. Although I'd bought roughly $30 worth of concessions, the ticket taker told me that unless I allowed him to search my 8 year old son's backpack for outside food and/or beverages he wouldn't allow us into the showing.

Wow. Not sure what's more annoying about this, the presumed authority a ticket taker gets, or the manager pulling his puppet strings and firing him if he doesn't do stuff like this.

Next time bring a blonde with a large purse. I knew a gal who used to bring entire wine bottles and glasses into theaters. Years of free drinks and drugs were probably fun for her at the time, but I know she struggles immensely with being taken seriously in professional environments. Lots of Weinstein wannabes out there.

I don't think I've ever actually left a theater. It's way easier to turn things off, change the channel, or fast forward through boring parts at home. I only go to the theater maybe 3-5 times a year these days, so I'm really careful about researching stuff, or it's something we're going to see for the kid.

More
12 Apr 2018 14:30 #267392 by ubarose
The Cook, the Thief, His Wife, and Her Lover. It's very disturbing. It's a good, possibility a great film, but difficult to watch.

More
12 Apr 2018 15:13 #267395 by Sagrilarus

ubarose wrote: The Cook, the Thief, His Wife, and Her Lover. It's very disturbing. It's a good, possibility a great film, but difficult to watch.

I saw that one at home and did not get through half of it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose

More
12 Apr 2018 17:17 #267411 by quozl

Did you get a refund for everything?

More
12 Apr 2018 17:28 #267415 by Black Barney
they weren't searching for outside food and beverages btw

More
13 Apr 2018 08:27 #267447 by Turek
As a kid I went alone to ALTERED STATES and ran away near the end.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Michael Barnes, jeb

More
13 Apr 2018 08:58 - 13 Apr 2018 09:08 #267450 by jay718
I did get a full refund, but only after speaking to the smug ass ticket taker and his manager in a somewhat less than exemplary fashion in front of my son, which I deeply regret. I'm not sure how it is in the rest of the country and world, but in New York going to the movies has become prohibitively expensive and generally unpleasant. The theatres are understaffed, so lines are long and the restrooms are filthy. Many theatres have started selling reserved seat tickets leading to arguments over seats with no staff available to sort it out, as well as droves of people attempting to find their seats after the picture starts. On top of this, the tickets (one adult and one child,) two size small popcorns and drinks, and a small box of candy cost me roughly $60. It costs less to take my boy to a Mets game or Six Flags. With how cheap home theatre equpment has become and the amount of high quality entertainment available to stream at low cost, I think a lot of theatres are going to price themselves out of existence. It's pretty heartbreaking.
Last edit: 13 Apr 2018 09:08 by jay718.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

More
13 Apr 2018 09:17 #267453 by Michael Barnes
Ha ha Turek wins this thread!

Movies are so fucking expensive. I live around the corner from a Regal Multicineplex 99 or whatever that has all the mod cons- stadium seating, “gourmet” nachos, couches, and everything. It’s like $17 a ticket there. 3D is over $20. So instead I go to this janky little Movie Tavern place and it’s $8. Or to this old AMC mall theater where they show Indian musicals alongside the Hollywood stuff and it’s a $5 matinee.

I have never walked out of a movie.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.170 seconds