October 09, 2023
2289 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2505 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk abut Movies & TV here. Just tell us what you have been watching. Have hyper-academic discussions on visual semiotics. Whatever, it's all good.

Mad Max: Fury Road

More
20 May 2015 10:20 - 20 May 2015 10:24 #202727 by Disgustipater
Replied by Disgustipater on topic Mad Max: Fury Road
I saw it last night and thought it was great. A friend who went with me mentioned that he was bringing his boys to watch it today, and that they were watching the Road Warrior as we sat watching Fury Road.

I really need to get around to watching the original movies.
Last edit: 20 May 2015 10:24 by Disgustipater.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 May 2015 10:48 #202732 by Columbob
Replied by Columbob on topic Mad Max: Fury Road

Legomancer wrote: I'm interested in these rumors of Shia LaBeouf as Max's son.

'Cept his name is just cringe-worthy for us francophones, I absolutely can't say it with a straight face.

More
20 May 2015 10:59 #202733 by Chapel
Replied by Chapel on topic Mad Max: Fury Road
There is another theory going around that Mad Max in this movie is actually the feral kid from the first movie. He did have the music box and he doesn't talk much.

nerdist.com/mad-max-fan-theory-will-make...see-fury-road-again/

TIL: Am I the only one who thought the feral kid was played by Kevin Dillon?

More
20 May 2015 11:15 - 20 May 2015 11:16 #202734 by Michael Barnes
Replied by Michael Barnes on topic Mad Max: Fury Road
"Fan theories" make me cringe. There is no secret meaning or hidden storyline just for "fans".
Last edit: 20 May 2015 11:16 by Michael Barnes.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Msample

More
20 May 2015 11:56 #202737 by Mr. White
Replied by Mr. White on topic Mad Max: Fury Road
I sort of like some stuff to mill around like this. I mean 'is he or isn't he a replicant?' was fun for years...until it was spoiled.

I'm ok with feral boy growing up to be Max. Modelling himself after his boyhood hero and all. That site makes a good case...as does Gary Sax's mention that originally Hardy had no lines in the film.

Regardless, I prefer it to just remain an open mystery.

More
20 May 2015 12:24 - 20 May 2015 12:30 #202739 by ChristopherMD
Replied by ChristopherMD on topic Mad Max: Fury Road
The movie is kind of like a music video for the Doof Warrior. I mean that in a good way. Dude easily stole any scene he was in.
Last edit: 20 May 2015 12:30 by ChristopherMD.
The following user(s) said Thank You: mrmarcus

More
20 May 2015 12:52 #202740 by Jackwraith
Replied by Jackwraith on topic Mad Max: Fury Road

Chapel wrote: There is another theory going around that Mad Max in this movie is actually the feral kid from the first movie. He did have the music box and he doesn't talk much.

Not the case. He still had the knee brace on from The Road Warrior.

More
20 May 2015 13:00 #202741 by Legomancer
Replied by Legomancer on topic Mad Max: Fury Road

Mr. White wrote: I sort of like some stuff to mill around like this. I mean 'is he or isn't he a replicant?' was fun for years...until it was spoiled

Spoiled? It may still be fun to think about at least for a few seconds until you realize how dumb it is, despite whatever Ridley Scott says.

More
20 May 2015 15:33 #202749 by Michael Barnes

Mad Dog wrote: The movie is kind of like a music video for the Doof Warrior. I mean that in a good way. Dude easily stole any scene he was in.

The latest in a long line of scene-stealing Mad Max characters. I mean, come on...Max is nowhere near the most interesting character in any of these movies. Think about it:

- The Night Rider
- Master Blaster
- Doctor Dealgood
- Iron Bar
- That deformed dwarf
- Wez
- Warrior Woman
- Pappagallo
- Feral Kid
- Pig Killer
- The Bullet Farmer
- Furiosa's Lieutenant
- Gyro Captain/Jedidiah (and son)
- Scrooloose, Savannah, etc.

And that's without listing the main villains, the Brides, Furiosa, or Lux. All of these minor characters that all feel like they have these big stories behind them. It's almost like Star Wars in how Miller creates these almost throwaway figures that collectively build the world and populate it with colorful, unique characters. Doof Warrior/Coma Doof whatever is par for course.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Mr. White

More
20 May 2015 15:54 #202751 by Mr. White
Don't forget Rictus "I had a brother and he was perfect in every way!" Erectus!

Seriously, even the warboys were humanized and had personality and were more than just nameless mooks. Like that 'lieutenant' (I guess he was) who was asking Furiosa where they were going and that he'd go inform the boys. Or when that one was doing the kamikaze dive near the beginning, andall his buddies are rooting for him. You could tell they were part of some culture that had operating procedures and norms.

Haven't revisited the Max films in so long, but looking back now, you're right, just amazing characterizations across all of them. And with so little dialogue and exposition...it's just incredible.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Chapel

More
20 May 2015 15:57 - 20 May 2015 16:02 #202752 by Egg Shen
Replied by Egg Shen on topic Mad Max: Fury Road
Saw the film last night....

This is going to be my film of the year for 2015. I have no qualms about saying this is the best pure action film in at least 10 years or so. Nothing comes even close. I saw it in 2D and yeah almost all of the carnage is done with practical effects/stunt work. It's real cars and real people. The green screen and CGI effects were mostly done to enhance the background and scenery. Frankly, you just don't see movies made like this anymore. Since the Star Wars prequels and Comic book Blockbuster era, the reliance on CG effects for action films has just become accepted. This movie comes in...says, "yeah fuck that...we're doing all this shit for real". And you know what? The film is a masterpiece. Had this come out in the pre-internet age, we'd all be hailing it as one of our favorites. I loved this film so much that I couldn't stop thinking about it last night. Falling asleep was impossible because I just kept playing scenes over and over again in my mind. I woke up and it was still in my thoughts.

People that have seen the trailer...I'd like to point out that almost all of that comes from the first 25 mins of the film. There is just so much awesome stuff tucked away that is waiting to be discovered. That big ass storm they drive towards, looks like the finale of some other films. Here, the movie is just getting started!

Charlize Theron's Fiorosa IS the best female action star since Ripley. This is some powerful shit. I don't feel like her importance in the film reduces Max's role or anything like that. She's just a tough woman, hellbent, driven. There is nothing done to ever sexualize her or make her weaker because of her gender. It's really an amazing portrayal.

I love how the movie took the "show me, don't tell me" approach to the storytelling. Most Hollywood films assume the audience is fucking retarded and go to painstaking detail to spell out everything. This film, it's all there...but there is so much more beneath the surface. Immortan Joe has this crazy outfit, with the stained teeth respirator and clear plastic General's armor...you could argue that it's done just for the sake of looking cool. However, its real purpose is to cover up the fact that he is an aging, stocky, old man...in shitty health and disfigured with tumors. His battle accouterments hide his weakness. It makes him look imposing, so he can continue to rule the Citadel with an iron fist. Otherwise the people might see what he really is...a fat sack of shit that is closing in on death.

The movie is full of details like this...just waiting for the viewer to peel back a layer or two and uncover. The War Boys are another example of this. The movie tells you quiet a bit about them...but it's in brief little snippets. You don't get a long dialogue about them, explaining it all. I love this style of storytelling. It's deeper and more impactful. Plus it forces the viewer to think a bit, which most blockbusters are afraid of.

Tom Hardy is awesome as Max. His role is not diminished in any way because of Fiorosa. In all of the films, Max is a character that always winds up mixed up in some shit he really wants no part of. This film it's no different. Hardy conveys alot by not saying much. The man has a commanding presence and you never lose track of him on screen. He is the avatar of the viewer. What he sees and knows is pretty much what the viewer knows. As he finds shit out...so do we. The first time you see all of the Brides, it's this shocking scene. It shocking because it's so unexpected. The way Max reacts onscreen is pretty much how I reacted. Seeing all of that beauty...suddenly realizing who they are and what Furiosa's mission is. It's a great scene. Hardy replaces Gibson perfectly and it will make it possible for more of these films. If someone could come in and do the same thing for an Escape from New York sequel...I'd be happy.

I also love how Max's character is defined by things he does. Everything he does tells you that he is scrappy and a survivor. At one point I noticed he saved the tube that was being used to give blood to Nux. He just wound it up and stashed it on his jacket. It makes you realize in this shit-ass wasteland you need everything you can get your hands on. His character feels like like the old Mad Max, which is the best compliment I can give.

I could gush and go on, but I don't need to. This film is just great. It blew me away. The whole thing reminds me of when Sam Raimi came back and directed Drag Me to Hell and totally killed it. You left that film thinking, "Oh, that's what a great horror movie should be like". Mad Max: Fury Road caused me to have a similar reaction. George Miller came in, showed everyone how this shit is supposed to be done and just nailed it.

The sad part is...I don't think the film is going to have too much impact in Hollywood. Christ, it couldn't even beat out Pitch Perfect 2 despite it's crazy good reviews. The action genre is long dead. Average Joe/Jane audience member simply doesn't give a shit about films being made like this. They don't care that it's all real effects and whatnot. Film lovers will take notice and treasure it. Hopefully it does well enough for Warner Bros to green-light whatever Miller has cooked up next. I know he is already talking sequel, but given how long this film took, well, I'll just wait for something concrete to be announced.

I'm gonna go see it again. Probably in 3D. Best film thus far of 2015. Nothing will probably top it...not even Star Wars. If you wanted to argue this is the best Mad Max film yet....I'm might agree with you. Anyone on the fence, should go see it while it's still in the theater.
Last edit: 20 May 2015 16:02 by Egg Shen.
The following user(s) said Thank You: wadenels

More
20 May 2015 16:02 - 20 May 2015 16:45 #202753 by Mr. White
I forgot to add....that because he humanized the warboys along the way, we as an audience weren't (Well at least I wasn't) really too sure what Nux's fate was going to be and his turn was believable.

I was in the theater thinking "Was Max going to kill him? Furiosa? One of the brides? Damn, he's still around...gonna be trouble....oh? A potential face turn? Nah, he's back in Joe's good graces...wait! He did it! Gooble, gooble one of us!"
Last edit: 20 May 2015 16:45 by Mr. White.

More
20 May 2015 16:07 - 20 May 2015 16:30 #202754 by Mr. White

Egg Shen wrote: If someone could come in and do the same thing for an Escape from New York sequel...I'd be happy..

Careful here...Carpenter himself didn't even do such a hot job the second time and I don't think Miller wants to play in this sandbox. I have little faith there's anyone else that's up to the task, so let's not give studios any ideas.

Oh, more weight to the 'these movies are retellings of Max's escapades'... When he goes off to kill the Bullet Farmer dude we don't see any of it because no one else saw it either to report it?
Last edit: 20 May 2015 16:30 by Mr. White.

More
20 May 2015 16:33 #202756 by Michael Barnes

Mr. White wrote: Haven't revisited the Max films in so long, but looking back now, you're right, just amazing characterizations across all of them. And with so little dialogue and exposition...it's just incredible.

Miller is definitely plowing some of the same ground as Sergio Leone, who was all about "gestures and silences" rather than dialogue and exposition. More is said in a Leone film in the way a gunslinger's hand twitches nervously over a holstered pistol than a page of dialogue. In turn, Leone was hugely influenced (obviously) by Kurosawa and this very Japanese notion of the quiet, taciturn character that is written with extreme economy. I think Miller learned a lot from both of those filmmakers and probably from Lucas too, with how Star Wars (the same Kurosawa/Leone lineage) builds these characters with very little actual material. Compare that with any number of modern genre films that spend REAMS of script paper explaining plot devices or character motivation to the audience.

Take a look at that moment when it's not sure that Splendid made it after the suicide door hits the outcropping. Nothing is said, no one liner or anything like that. Max looks back, sees her, gives a thumbs up. That gesture says a lot about where Max is at that point, what his motivation is and how he views the Brides. He's concerned, relieved _and_ impressed.

More
20 May 2015 16:50 #202757 by Michael Barnes
Gosh, now that I'm into day 2 of my post-Fury Road life...what an amazing character Nux turned out to be. I figured out that he was going to probably be a Pig Killer-like character and I knew right away that he wasn't going to get wasted. But his arc wound up being really compelling- tender and tragic. I loved that he was very much presented as a desperate kid looking for SOMETHING to believe in and belong to amongst total nihilism...and all he had was the V8 cult and impressing Immorten Joe, hoping for a glorious death. It's totally the same psychology as cults and gangs alike. Finding out that he was probably terminally ill humanized him, and I loved that part where Capable tells the other brides "he's just a kid" acknowledging that he's really just doing the only thing he knows how to do.

The developing relationship between Nux and Capable was really sweet and it felt honest...and very early or tentative, which made it even more tragic. I also loved the first fight with Furiosa, when he and Max wind up kind of working together. Total survivor instincts, more important than "sides".

Egg Shen wrote: This is going to be my film of the year for 2015. I have no qualms about saying this is the best pure action film in at least 10 years or so. Nothing comes even close. I saw it in 2D and yeah almost all of the carnage is done with practical effects/stunt work. It's real cars and real people. The greenscreen and CGI effects were mostly done to enhance the background and scenery. Frankly, you just don't see movies made like this anymore.

I would say that this is easily the best and possibly most significant action film since The Matrix. I would go so far as to say that it may be one of the best films I've seen in at least a decade, and not just because it was awesome...but because it is an ferociously creative, fearless and astonishing piece of moviemaking. But there again, the irony is that almost the entire movie could have been made 30 years ago.

I totally agree with you about Furiosa, she is definitely on par with Ripley. She is going to be a favorite character for many years to come, not just until something else comes along. One for the ages. What a powerful moment after she finds out about her home and just screams into the desert.

You know, one of the things I loved that was VERY show, don't tell was really kind of subtle. When they decide to go back to the citadel, my first thought was "what the fuck, they're going right back to wind up fighting a whole settlement. But then it dawned on me. They knew that Immortan Joe was hardly a beloved leader and that- like Mussolini- they would be RELIEVED to see his dead body. LOVED how the crowd descended on him to scavenge. But we didn't need dialogue there explaining that "nobody really likes him, the people will welcome us, etc. etc. etc."

One thing I really liked about Max in this one was the psychological element...totally unexpected...and it shows why he always turns around to go help even though it is contrary to his survival instinct.

YEAH! I'm glad you noticed the tube...why wouldn't he keep it, just in case? I also like how the bolt cutters turned up again! Tiny details that make everything feel complete.

I doubt too that it will have much of an impact...it reminds me of the trailers for Laika's Box Trolls, where they didn't show much footage of the film and instead showed them making the armatures and puppets for the film because people needed to be shown that it wasn't CGI. Yet nobody really cares about craftsmanship like that anymore, it's completely devalued by spectacle and un-reality.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.236 seconds